Charcoal kiln, Kursk 2.0

That might be true. I would start by putting wet cloths on the condenser. Your blower will give you very precise control though.

1 Like

Wow, the beautiful sound of high quality charcoal, wood vinegar and wood tar with some useable gases when the Kursk is running for cooking on a out side stove. Simply amazing Kristijan, you have it really go on there.
Bob

3 Likes

Bob, sure do! In the last week or so l made probably around a years worth of engine fuel. Its all grilling charcoal but even at this, 20% of each bach is fines and directly engine grade specs charcoal. Soon l will acumulate enaugh of even that to fill my motor fuel needs just from the leftovers of grilling char production!

9 Likes

Are you selling the charcoal you are making? It would go for a premium price by the sound of it.
Bob

2 Likes

Yes Bob. I sold everything but the fines. Thats the main goal here for now. I wuld realy like to live off the land someday, its kinda dream of mine. With the amazing response l got from buyers this might not be just a dream some day…

10 Likes

Kristijan, I hear you sell all your charcoal. If I bring beer and a moose steak, do you have enough charcoal left for a barbecue party, or will we be forced to boil the steak? :smile:

9 Likes

If you do that l propose we fire the Kursk and roast the steaks at its fire space :smile: good news is flushing the throat with the beverage you mentioned is not hard while tending this beast. The heat is insane!

9 Likes

Most people will do whatever you ask for a moose steak if they have ever had a moose steak before! Most deliciose tender amazing wild game I have ever tasted surpassed bison by a long shot!

6 Likes

Well I like a piece of Mutton now and then if she’s cooked right…

I was told by an old Finlander that Swedes would catch a bull moose calf, castrate it and use it like a pack animal, you could even ride some like horse if they were well trained…
A moose is better suited to the terrain and make do on poor winter feed that a horse could not…
Russian’s took particular interest in making sure they shot any Fin or Swede on a moose they saw during the winter war because they are not just good to eat but a fantastic pack animal in the hands of the right handler.

That does not mean I would not eat one over a horse. Just saying what a special animal they are majestic creatures of the north lands…

3 Likes

Wallace, here you go :smile:

7 Likes

That is amazing! Never seen that before. You must have a different species, those north in canada would dwarf this girl in size. Still awesome to see

4 Likes

Still A baby I think. Such a beautiful animal.
When they want to be quiet you will never hear them. When they want you to hear them and they want you to leave an area, you know it…

When ever I get to see the inside of a home that belongs to a Scandinavian I like to look at the lights and lighting. Notice the interesting electrified pressure lamp above the man’s kitchen table. Kerosene was in short supply for lighting and heating too in the Gengas era. Wood alcohol was used in its place…
Here is a rare piece of kit you just do not see everyday and if you do its in the collection of a guy with roots to that place and time.

8 Likes

I want one of those lamps ! boy imagine the insurance company if they ever walked into my house to do an quote , i don’t care its worth it in looks alone . Makes my little paraffin brass soldering iron shabby in comparison .

Kristijan as already mentioned that is one hell of a nice batch of charcoal you made from the old limbs laying around your place , i can feel a lotta people wanting to know your secret , me included :thinking:
Dave

3 Likes

No secret Dave. To tell the truth this bach was way hotter thain l wuld like. Filled mainly with dry dogwood sticks 1-3" in diameter. The inside fireplace warped and flaked a bit. No big deal its concidered consumable but still l never saw that before.

Yesterdays bach of the same material, l mixed in some “moderator rods”. Thick peaces of green wood. The idea is for the steam to dilute the gas a bit. It worked perfectly it seems.

Came off work at 4pm, loaded it up and fired at 6pm. Loaded the fireplace with crapy wood till 10.30 it reached “criticality”, burned all night and when l woke to go to work it only had a small flame left. Sealed it up and it will cool for untill l come back home. Theoreticly ifk hadnd had to prepare the wood as l go l could make a bach every 24 hours with about 4 hours of actual work time. With a yeald of about 160 pounds a bach… 1120 pounds of charcoal a week. And thats from making it out of junk wood!

Ha! Here you go Mr Musk. The carbon capture process. I can draw my years worth carbon foot print from the air in 2 weeks. With a old rusty shit cistern :smile: now when do l get the milions? :wink:

14 Likes

In d days it was forbidden to use a moose for riding, the knights wouldnt have a chance to catch the bandits if the used a moose.

5 Likes

Oh Kristijan, Kristijan, Kristijan, Kristijan . . . .
you and J.O. quite obviously visited the wrong part of the USofA.
You need better “wokeness” training and exposures.
Your awareness of the true nature and spirit of carbons and carbons capture is just so old time 19th century.
You needed to visit the woke-up Progressives’ areas in California, Oregon and Washington State. Our University towns are the best for this.
You were supposed to leave those dead falled tree limbs right where they lay. That is Natural, without Human interference.
You can only touch sacred trees and their factors if for religious purposes.
And Only big scaled million-invested large atmosphere REMOVING carbons capture need apply for the grants and public moneys.
You will never get your Nobel Prize just planting trees. Culturing trees.
If you human planted them; that is un-natural; and cheating interference.

So your real solution is obvious. Start your own religion. Then demand your for religious purposes, exclusions respect.
The Order of the Black-Hands.
With charcoal as your sacred, best blackener.
Wood vinegar, your Holey water.
Char and outgas; glow and flames, as your religious Lights.
Damned if I can figure a way to work wood tars in there.
Hmmm.
I’ll meditate much on this under the mood altering effects of sacred wood smoke.
S.U.

13 Likes

The Coleman Company continued to manufacture gasoline Table lamps right up to 1970 because there remained a market for it. If you snoop around you can find them on ebay.
This is a 157 Princess ( or empire something I forget now ). Some very simple gas generator change converts them to Paraffin ( Kerosene ) from ( white ) gasoline ( I think you guys call it Shellite down under or maybe Naphtha ).
Hmm…
I might be able to hook you up with something if interested. I have a shrinking collection of this gas lighting I am slowly divesting myself off.

You know what would be REALLY COOL…
And I thought of this since the original use for town gas was lighting Thorium mantle lamps it should not be that hard to make a producer gas light system.

If you had a charcoal system making good dry gas and small gasometer it would pretty easy to convert a dry fuel gas light like this…
It would require some number crunching but for a simple out door lighting system it my be more economical to run a gas light over electric. You would need to put a real sharp point on the pencil and find out what the gas storage and consumption numbers are like on that… Maybe all those guys that talk about compressing and storing woodgas have a way to do it

2 Likes

Wallace,
Great, someone beside me is into lighting. I made this err… candle thingy. Any thoughts?

I’ve found a way to make a really good emergency candle in an old jar using an old food can as a chimney. The flame is very steady. It does not produce smoke or soot. It makes very little odor. The wind will not blow it out if you take it out doors.
I made a hook out of a nail so I can hang it from a hook in the ceiling. You have to use one of those new type cans that you don’t need an opener for. Make 30 wide slits at the top of the chimney 1.4x.08 inches. Make 6 narrow sits .65 inches up from the bottom .7x.03 inches. Bend the flange inside the can, that was left behind when the lid was removed, so that it mimics the cam features that are part of the jar lid. This will allow you to attach the chimney securely to the jar. Save the jar lid. You can remove the chimney and put the jar lid on when you want to put the candle out.

Rindert

6 Likes

Ha,ha, ha, the Black Wood Tar Steve? Is to run any unbelievers out of your group that don’t agree with you by tar and feathering them on your idol worshiping tar rail made of charcoal and wood, that everyone must bow down to worship on black Friday in your group of followers. The black tar is also is used the hold the charcoal idol together that you make to worship. Oh yes and some how the Holy Leaders need to make lots of monies from the people. Yup, that might work in the PNW area where we live.
Bob

5 Likes

Warmth light and some mechanical power. I don’t think there is a single person here with interests that do not overlap considerably

I like your candle light fixture…
Here is a photo of an Aladin oil lamp mantle. These sit above the flame in wick lamps and the heat of the flame causes them to incandesce. An oil lamp with one of these has the light output of around 200 candlepower ( 40 to 60 watt bulb ). Ibet your candle holder could do something with it and i think it would be worth some tinkering.

Make up a rig to hold a Coleman #21 mantle in floating steel frame above the flame and I bet you could manage double the output. I do like what you made and I am going to copy that and girl it up a little for the wife to hang in her gazebo.

3 Likes