Chevrolet s10 4.3

Thanks JO, I get to try and find a way to fit in a real tap.

1 Like

Hi Jo
what type of valves do you use to shut off the gas and air lines remotely?
I tried to build butterfly valves but they are never sufficiently watertight for a perfectly hermetic closure :sob:

1 Like

Thierry, mine don’t seal 100% either. I made plastic butterfly valves. The plastic gives a little, which helps though.

4 Likes

Be careful with plastic valves on high vacuum engines. Both the valves that JO Gave me with plastic butterfly’s in them, the plastic broke and got sucked into the engine.

4 Likes

Ops, I’m sorry about that Jakob :thinking: I’ve never had that happen with the plastic ones.

4 Likes

It apparently didn’t hurt anything but I need to make another valve now. :grin::grin:

3 Likes

@JO_Olsson , Do you not use a tap like this under the car.

3 Likes

No, I didn’t have one big enough and store bought 2" valves don’t have my kind of price :smile:

5 Likes

Amen. That’s why I get all mine from the scrap yard. :grin::grin::grin: It is a shame for them what people throw away but for me it is great.

7 Likes

Doesn’t have to be that expensive. (179kr) ca 17,90 usd.

3 Likes

I love to dig in the local scrapyard. it’s a gold mine, a place of great inspiration, for me
but valves of 2 "and more are rare . :sob:
it is for this reason that I plan to build a guillotine valve soon. :star_struck:

I would post some photos for those interested.
Thierry

7 Likes

Did the first attempt today, did not go so well, the car hit a few strokes and then stopped, I finally got it to run for a few seconds, and think that it pulled in the oil barrel that I have as a filter.
Must be almost tight in the aggregate what I can understand.

3 Likes

A lot of running with only the fan will pack the charbed. Also, every shutdown will make ash, which will stay put in the char as long as there’s no flow.
Maybe you already tried, but do you have a grate shaker? If not, with an open lid, put a rod all the way down to the grate and rattle it while pulling with the fan.
If you don’t have vacuum guages, attach a trasparent hose with coffee in it. The fan, or the motor idling, should only pull an inch or two of vacuum if the charbed is ok. There should be no reason to implode a barrel until you reach at least 30-40 inches.

5 Likes

Can I use this such a meter for this?

2 Likes

I dubt it will be nearly sensitive enough. Finding the right guages is hard and gets expensive, thats why l never used them

3 Likes

What Kristijan said. 1bar = 10m H2O (positive pressure)
What we need is 0.1 bar = 1m H20 (negative pressure) Normal charbed and normal driving will make it register 20-40% of that.

The right guage is pretty hard to find even on ebay and such. We’ve been over this a dussin times but still I failed to find it. Someone on this site may be able to provide a useful link.
When I installed the Rabbit gasifier I had my guages made at a local intrumentation shop in Leksand. They were the most expensive part of my build. If I remember right I payed 700kr ($70) for two of them, but I still use the same guages on the Mazda.

5 Likes

Had a report of a couple more trees knocked down by the wind across a trail down by the river where people walk their dogs and horses. While going there to take care of them, I took a detour and made a couple videos on vacuum.

12 Likes

Those of us who remember Mike Larosa know how he could make do with duct tape and junk. Here is how he made a vacuum gauge once off the top of his filter barrel. He used the top of the barrel and a stick and marks on his back window to judge what vacuum he was pulling. The barrel top would flex more with high vacuum.

:smile:

20 Likes

Hello JO

Enjoyed the videos , Thanks for posting .

BBB

3 Likes

Thanks JO, it was very educational for me.
I was out and went a few kilometers with gas, the engine light is on, is it normal for gas driving?
I did not go so fast, want to see what it looks like in the wood container after the little trip.
What do you think the flame looks like? I had a hard time getting it stuck to the pipe, there is new coal and wood in the unit.

8 Likes