Compost Heat plus Gas

All I run for shielding gas is pure co2 drink machine gas, an exchange of a 100lb bottle here is $14.00.

4 Likes

What do you do about powder and primers?
I can cast bullets but have no way to launch them.

1 Like

Jacob where do you get your co2 from the soda man or a “gas” supply house that also supplies oxygen, argon, etc, or the???

1 Like

I’ve been squirreling away all the pure lead wheel weights from work. They just throw them away when rebalancing tires. Great for my black powder guns. I also mill my own black powder since I have an abundance of fast burning pine.

2 Likes

Iv got a few piles of wheel weights hangin around as well. Minimal tin adding and make great wad cutters plinking ammo

2 Likes

The welding shops all carry it around here.

2 Likes

I posted about making Black powder somewhere here Bruce. I haven’t figured out how to make primers though. I have lead bars but also a lot of copper I could cast bullets from. I have one of these as well. It will shoot through a piece of 3/4 pine and splinter out the back side.

2 Likes

You can make primers by disassembling the spent ones and adding mercury fulmonate(sp?) from cap gun caps for kids or from those fireworks that pop when you toss them on the ground. I use that for my musket caps that I form from aluminum cans punched through a die. Another good firework to extract that from is those party poppers where you tug the string and it shoots out confetti.

3 Likes

Good to know. I didn’t think they still made caps or cap guns. Kids get a visit from the cops now for pretending their hand is a gun and pointing it at someone. When I was a kid you could take your 22 to school and put it in your locker in case you wanted to do some hunting on the way home. Opening day for deer season was always an authorized no school day.

3 Likes

I’m Gen Y so I didn’t get to see any of that but I do remember in Middle school shop class our teacher was astounded none of us had a pocket knife on our person.

2 Likes

Yeah. I got a three inch Case single blade jack knife when I was 10 that I carried just about every day for over 40 years. Still have it but now I carry one of the folding utility blade deals. The old jack knife got sharpened down to a nub by the time I put it away.

2 Likes

It was not a big deal to get on a transit bus with a rifle in case because you were going to shoot some birds. My high school at a target range range in the basement but it wasn’t used anymore.

The world has changed.

I carry a pocket knife too, and a lighter ( even though I do not smoke anymore ), and a spare credit card knife because I lose things…

1 Like

I found a 22 in a roadside ditch, all rusty and plugged with mud.
It became my metal shop project at age 16. I have carried a pocket knife since about age 7.
Gun racks in pickup trucks were normal in high school.

5 Likes

At a very young age my uncle told me if I didn’t have a knife and pliers in my overalls I might as well be wearing a dress!

5 Likes

Those were different times.
Think about the maturity level of so many people today, you can not trust them with a plastic fork they will poke out their own eye with it, or throw it on the ground where the next buffoon will step on it blame the first for his sore toes…

3 Likes

I’m very glad that my parents are Baby Boomers. I was taught about accountability in what I think was a healthy way.
I always have my knife and concealed carry pistol unless I’m in a government building or school.
Anyways we are going way off topic!

2 Likes

On the one hand I love to have a conversation that goes down the road like that off topic and intellectual with personal stories about life. But I am not sure I want to see the peace and polite conversation we share here draw to much of real life into this place.

I am hiding from shite in here with the adults. Plenty of other place I could go down the rabbit hole… Like commenting on news articles, or I could get a cell phone and a facebook account

3 Likes

I’m the same way. Enjoy healthy off topic talk. Run from the zombie population talk. Even avoid topics that might have those post. Can not take any more of that. So keep up the good stuff.

I wear my pocket knife on the outside. Clipped to one of my pant’s belt loops. :grinning:

2 Likes

Right now in my pockets is my wallet stuff full of receipts, three doggy poo bags in my back pocket, some coins ( dime and a looney ), keys ( some these I can’t remember what they open but I dare not take them off the tag unless they are important, my library card - key holder, my pocket watch.

LINT!!!
Fastest substance on earth is lint. It is so fast it gets from the dryer to your pocket before light can hit it… HA HA

I think I am going to walk the dogs now. I am still allowed to go out and do that.

1 Like

I keep my lint in my belly button and my pockets full of sawdust. Sometimes the pocket knife is in my pocket because not all coveralls have loops sowed on them.

Switched to pocket watches about 10 months ago. The $8 kind. Not sealed so my work pocket watch gets plugged up with dust. To solve that, it goes into my Altoids tin box. Along with a small paper and pencil, I’m forgetfully. Also a 3 foot tape measure and a razer blade. There is room left for a few small items to take to the hardware store as a sample of what I need. Otherwise I would loose or forget to take a small item.

3 Likes