Drawings of charcoal gasifiers for vehicles

Hi Jesse:
Thank very much for your input.
Actually, ones the engine has started, I replace the bilge blower and the 3 way plástico valve by a straight hose. So the last (towel) filter connects directly to the engine hose. No bilge blower nor plastic valve on it’s way.

1 Like

Who else has had problems with bilge blower durability? I’m sure I haven’t run enough hours to have any problems but if it’s a common problem I’ll look for a better solution.

2 Likes

I was using a bilge blower on a micro wood gasifier. A 2" fema.
Didn’t have near enough filtration.
And was not set up with a cooler, condenser. So once my wood chips got wet the tar just gummed everything up. Lesson learned.
Although for some reason moving the vac. out past the intake port really did make a difference.

1 Like

Unless I hit the lotto I don’t think that I’ll ever build another wood gasifier. I’ll just keep making charcoal. And simple fire gasifiers
Jesse

1 Like

How much suction do those bilge blower create?
I need about 12-14" of water suction for a different application.

1 Like

Hi Sean:
The bilge blower is an axial blower, do not have that much of suction. It have only enough suction to start the gasifier.
You may need to look more into centrifugal blowers.
B.R.
Eddy Ramos.

3 Likes

I switched to a bucket vac. Because it was cheap, and it had a lot of suction.

1 Like

I got one for like 3 bucks at a garage sale. It was formally used for plasterwork, so it spews some dust but it works. lol

1 Like

I just found this, he makes a centrifugal vacuum cleaner. It looks like he needs some help with the fin design though.

2 Likes

My bildge blowers began to quit in about a year, 3000 miles but I found it was the mini slip connection that corroded. I replaced with better and have over 4 years before they began failing.
I only run them about 5 min for startup and with a good char bed the “smoke” is almost invisible.
If the bearings start protesting I give the whole vertical assembly a big drink of diesel while cycling the power.

4 Likes

I still run the bilge blowers on the truck when I am away from home. when I am at home I have an old aluminum vacuum cleaner the does the job very well. It has enough vacuum that I can light the truck with almost a full hopper of wood.
I can start up in about two minutes ( about as fast as I can load the bags of wood on the truck) with the vacuum cleaner, it takes about 8-10 minutes with the bilge blowers. I am also not really fond of the bilge blowers because they are so fragile, but they are the cheapest I know of for 12v blowers.

4 Likes

Do any of our Swede friends have any photo’s of the original Källe-gasifier unit one could reverse engineer from?

I’d like a closer look at the grid assembly.

I know this is like bigfoot hunting but there must be an intact unit someplace to examine.

2 Likes

While we’re at it I’d like to see some dimensions on the Svedlund and the Gragas units. Mostly the nozzle diameter. One of the guys here on the forum had an original but he hasn’t posted for years. @Pontus I think.

2 Likes

There are probably no measurements on these pages, but pretty good pictures.
If you look at the bottom of the pages, you can get the text to translate in google.
http://runeberg.org/dsamb/1282.html
edit, källe.
http://runeberg.org/tektid/1942am/0017.html

6 Likes

Still have the Svedlund gasifier in the barn. Tell me what dimensions you are looking for and I’ll help you out. Haven’t been active here in a long while like you said but I haven’t lost interest. I’ve become a welder so that I can build components of high quality and I managed to spend six months as an apprentice at a engine rebuild firm. Taking the long way round to building my own gasifiers. :wink:

14 Likes

Good to know you’re doing alright. I always have liked the idea of gasifying motorcycles. I might get a sidecar mod for my Kawasaki Vulcan just to do it.
As far as dimensions I was wondering what the inner diameter of the nozzle was if it’s still that single downwards pipe.
Honestly a photograph of the inside of the reactor would be really neat.

2 Likes

Sidecars are fun! And gasified motorcycles even more so. I’ve managed to see some on events around here. I think I have a picture or two laying around. :slight_smile:
I don’t live at the family farm any more but I’ll go there next weekend to chop some wood. I’ll take some pictures and see if I can reach the nozzle with a measuring tool. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Neat little thing made by a 17 year old chap during WW2. I liked it, very simple solutions, but I suspect his butt might have been a tad hot after a while. ^^

9 Likes

That reminds me. I need to start drawing plans for a motorized bicycle. I’m just saving up to buy a drop loop frame to get from a gentleman in california, he makes them to the same spec as the early Harley Davidsons and Indian motorbikes. I have a really hot rodded Honda 196cc clone that would be perfect for chargas.

3 Likes

I lost all my pictures years ago but you would not believe some of the frames I used to build for the Drag bikes I built. Of course they didn’t really need much for suspensions and only had to go in a straight line. Point being, really funky.

4 Likes