Engine pictures and chat

A 1979 Ford 385 Lima series 460cid

A 1980 Dodge 225cid “Slant Six” note no dribble tubes in the head.

These engines may be interesting to look at.

13 Likes

Here is a 1966 225cid head with the dribble tubes.

12 Likes

Just arrived, a second points style distributer for the slant six. Now I can convert all three engines I have.

15 Likes

Here is a, just barely, running 1986 Chevy 292 CID inline six cylinder. Has a rod knock and burned exhaust valve.

14 Likes

Hey BruceJ.
One thing I found with my eight years ran 292 Chevy; the Ford 240’s and 300’s was having to every six months or so retorque down their heavy cast iron intakes/exhaust bolt/studs. Became part of the bi-annual tuning up. Lot of weight hanging out there. Exhaust down pipe torquing.
Developed vacuum leaks would make them idle, and run weird. Cold to hot. Road bumps.
Never had that problem with the AMC inlines. The Ford 200/250’s. Or the Chrysler-Dodge slant sixes.
S.U.

10 Likes

Here we are getting the 1966 Dodge 225cid slant six powered plow truck ready for this winter. Brakes, and sheet metal work, are needed. I’m also would like to add a slit pipe to the cutting edge so I don’t tear up the sod in November.

13 Likes

You much be one of those rich guys Bruce, having so many nice vehicles. When I met my wife she had a Plymouth volare with a slant six. 40 K and she had never changed the oil. I pulled the valve cover and the sludge completely hid the rockers and it still ran and drove. I scraped everything down with a putty knife, swabbed it all down with some diesel and ran a quart of diesel in the crankcase three times. Nasty, nasty. Damned thing still ran well enough to get it traded in. Good Engines.

12 Likes

The first time I went out with the wonderful lady that has been my wife all these years, I borrowed my brother’s '72 Camaro, black with black. She told me later when she saw the car, she figured she had to go out with me, but it would the last and only time she’d go out with a guy with a car like that. When she saw my 1963 Dodge 330, slant six, push button torque-flight, the relationship was rescued. It had a smiling toothy grill, and one crippled headlight without the bezel. The “Smiling Dodge” was not my idea of a great car, but it got me a great wife.

Sorry, off topic even for an off topic thread.

13 Likes

Great story Kent. It’s the chat side of engines. They all have great stories.

8 Likes

This is a strange little engine. It’s 153cid, and four cylinders. It looks to be simply a 230/250 type six cylinder with two cylinders removed.
It came out in the mid 1960s and was last sold in Jeeps in the 1980s. It’s not to be confused with the “Iron Duke” 2.5liter four cylinder.
I am anxious to tear it down and see what components from the six cylinder engine are the same.

13 Likes

Here is a a Continental Red Seal flathead four cylinder. It powers an SA200 Lincoln Welder.

Continental is a very interesting company with a sad ending. Wisconsin Engines was also one of their divisions. Continental was interesting because they built engines for everybody, seemingly, without regard to size of production run, or profitability. They made military standard engines, they made the AVDS-1790 M60 tank engine, they made the engines for Divco bread trucks, Clark fork trucks, Hopto, tractors, hay balers, loaders, skidders, generators, and blah blah blah.
I am always glad to see a Continental in a piece of equipment I aquire, because I usually can get them running again without buying parts. They are rugged.

14 Likes

This is the wikipedia article on it. :slight_smile: Apparently GM had a turbo-thrift 6cylinder…

7 Likes

Here is a Cummins running the saw mill at the UP State Fair…

This is how they tighten the belt.

10 Likes

It’s a Leroi!!!

11 Likes

Anybody have a clue what this guy is? It’s in a Massey Ferguson fork truck. I didn’t get a real good opportunity to look at it.

10 Likes

Blow-up of the first picture BruceJ. say it is a Continental engine.
Overhead valves under that top cover?
S.U.

6 Likes

This engine is mostly set up to run…but not yet.

8 Likes

This Murphy diesel was set up to run. I would have started it myself but the battery was gone. It had a decompressor lever and a nice big MT starter.

13 Likes

THAT truck just reminded me my first truck in 1977 was a 1966 1/2 tone 225 slant 6, Drove it back and forth from Lincoln teck auto school in indeanapolis to Pontiac Michigan,I was 17 year old after I graduated in January. COULD not blow that motor up,if I tried.

7 Likes

Watch thru to 12 minutes for starting/running portion.

All system approaches did work. I’ve used all except for air starters. (watch Mad Max II) Each way with its pro’s and con’s.
Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes