Engine pictures and chat

Here is a 10 cylinder Deutz that used to run the gas plant in Florida Location. So the gas plant made producer gas from coal and delivered it by pipe to the homes in Laurium and Calumet. When that process ended, the gas plant provided propane to the pipe infrastructure still in place. The Deutz provided pressure for the pipe infrastructure in case the electricity failed.
Now there is a natural gas pipeline delivering gas to the island from down below. So the Deutz is scrap.
Oops! I meant to add that the Deutz is air start!

12 Likes

Hey BruceJ.
Was that V10 Deutz spark ignition or compression ignition?
What type of fuel did it run on?
Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Cool!
Looks like a flat belt or multiple V-belt drive wheel off the back of it. I had to look up Calumet and Laurium, turns out they are near you, and “twin cities”. So, this engine has had multiple lifetimes. Next move to your place?? :grinning:

5 Likes

I tried to buy the Deutz from the sewer authority last fall. They agreed to sell it for $750, then changed their mind when they saw one for $8000 on the interwebs. It’s still sitting outside the compressor building.
It’s a diesel fueled compression ignition engine.

I know that twin disk clutch was really useful, but I couldn’t get them to store it inside. I can’t figure what their deal is. They won’t give me a price for it.

5 Likes

Air starters are just too stinking cool

5 Likes

Offer them a years supply of pasties and a pick up truck load of duct tape. It’s like crack to some of them yoopers. Just the cheap stuff is good enough. If you foreigners want to know what Americans are really like watch some of these video’s. This guy may be Canadian though. Once you go far enough north, who cares?

2 Likes

I moved on to this guy. A 453 Detroit Diesel two stroke. Four cylinders, each with 53 cubic inches of displacement.

7 Likes

453t by the looks of it, much more rare in my experience then the supercharged version

4 Likes

Sorry, it’s a crappy photo…it’s a 453NA.

4 Likes

So I have had questions about the differences between the Chevrolet 250cid and the 292cid inline six cylinder engines. I finally am at a point in my life where I have time to answer these questions. I always wondered, when reading the Motor’s Manual, what made the difference in compression ratio between the two engines. As you see in the photos, it’s the stroke and the piston. The 292 has a longer stroke so a longer connecting rod. The 292 has a dish in the crown that lowers the compression ratio.
So…for my next move I want to push the wrist pins out of the connecting rods and see if I can switch the 250 pistons over onto the 292 rods. Just sort of fab it up, to see if all the rotating parts would work.

6 Likes

Oh no, that’s a sad little guy

3 Likes

This the third slant six I have. This the one I am actually tackling. It has a rattle. I don’t know the compression pressure yet, and that gas tank is full of water.
I have never pulled a Chrysler product’s engine before.
I would say half the power washing is complete.
From what I mean see now, it looks like the bellhousing bolts are on the engine side, opposite of a Chevy. Interesting.

11 Likes

Anybody else ever decide it was easier to just cut a hole in the trans tunnel to get that top bell housing bolt out?

8 Likes

Old Yugoslavian (Slovenian) truck, the engine is back in service after more than 30 years,…

14 Likes

Very interesting! What company made the engine?
Looks like the truck didn’t have power steering. Power steering is actually the determining priority after 4wd, transmission type, and fuel type.
I like it though. It looks like it would be fun to work on.

8 Likes

This truck is from my friend who lives nearby. Everything was made in Yugoslavia (Slovenia), including the engine.

12 Likes

I’m assuming this engine is air cooled? The shroud looks very interesting.

11 Likes

Looks like a Deutz tractor engine.

13 Likes

very nice engine, air cooled , no problem with water thightness…
seeing the diesel injecting pump…is this a bosch ?
i ask, because on my tractor has a bosch pump, and i wonder if it must be lubrificated…
this question i have because i have a manual from the same type of traktor as mine, and there is written about lubrification - oil fill in screw and measure stick, also added a foto (not very good quality foto because of fotocopy), but there is definitely the screw and the stick to see…
but my pump on my tractor has neither fill screw nor measure stick…
is it lubrificationless??

10 Likes

Hi Giorgio, can you post a pic of your injection pump?
Both types (with dip-stick, and without, pressure, “splash” by gear, lubricated from engine) could often be found on same engines.
A injection pump that is “tight” against gears, (manual oil fill) often have a “tell-tale” tube, looking like a pigs tail, pointing downwards, to let internal fuel leaks out.

11 Likes