Gasifier based on cattle dung

Dear all ,
I wish to make a gasifier which used cow dung dried as a feedstock

2 Likes

Interesting!
Early settlers and native Americans would burn buffalo chips (dung) as fuel.
I wish you success.
Rindert

Hello Vinod and welcome to the DOW ( drive on wood )

Wish I could help but I have no real experience with using cow dung in gasifier . However if dry dung is close to my wood pile I will throw it in but it makes very little percentage of the fuel.

4 Likes

Sir first of all thanks for your respond.
Here in India people still used dung chips for burning in stove . I just wanted to experiment the dried dung chip in gasifier .

2 Likes

Hello vinon- i have no experiance here either though, and wish you luck on the experiment, i think if its falling apart dry dong,it wont work well. very hard pressed chunks, or dryed and then pressed with a high temp binder would be more likely too make tar free gas vapor. Because what helps make tare free fuel is a good balance of a charbed too be pulling the smoke gas through. pellots or briskits may work better adding the biomass a little at a time. The problem from what i heard was with pellots, when the gasifier was shut down for a while, the pellots would fall apart and not make a good charbed ballance, Thus setting up too be makeing tar in the vapor fuel.How ever if you can find ways too use it in a 50 too 100 mile hopper fill up, it would be a great sourse of fuel for cattle farmers for sure.Good Luck .

3 Likes

Hello Vinon .

I think if I were using cow dung I would mix the gasifier also with some portion of wood . At least enough wood to maintain a charcoal base .

4 Likes

Thanks kmr land,
For your precious suggestion what kind of binder should I used for dried cattle dung

1 Like

Thanks Wayne,
But what proportion dried chunk of wood or charcoal should I use

1 Like

Good Morning Vinod , Hope all is well in India :blush:

I think you would need to experment to see what ratio of cow dung to wood will work best .

1 Like

I was wondering about straw or other organic waste fiber that could be ground and mixed with the dung to make pellets. One waste product I have on my farm that would help hold a char bed is thistle baler twine that stuff will be red coals a full 20 hours later in my wood stove. Infact when I know it will be desperate cold like last night -2F I put twine in my stove on purpose so it will be there in the morning to hold the fire over even though I let the stove burn hot as long as there was wood to burn when I went to bed.
I don’t know what waste products would be easy to come by in india. Cardboard or plastic might be some alternatives from the waste stream as well.
I think I would start with a gasifer design for wood chips there are some of those here instead of one for chunks. Those would probably work better with finer biomass.

1 Like

Thanks Dan for your support.but as per Wayne I have to do some trial and errors with biomass available here with cattle dung
If any updates pl.share and thanks again

1 Like

Good luck with your fuel sourse mods, i dont know what might work best as a brisket or pellot binder, if you find a cheap binder per fuel sourse it would be good too know. Thanks.

2 Likes

Vinod,
Fly ash will be produced in your gasifier, and it is often used as a binder in concrete.
Rindert

1 Like

Hi Vinod,

Just follow the “shit in = shit” out principle,

Depending what you want to use the gas for, more dung means more corrosion downstream the gas use.

Small scale: 10 to 15 % of the feedstock can be dry dung

Large scale: use the dung as fertiliser and grow sustainable bamboo to be used as fuel…

Golden rule: its better to prevent the problem than to solve the problem…

6 Likes

Interesting article Rindert. I am always looking for substances to replace things that I can’t easily reproduce myself, like portland cement. Can’t imagine how anyone could produce enough fly ash to make it useful. I have done a lot of work in steel mills and there is a lot of it produced in the steel making process but I can’t see it being in any way a greener alternative to portland cement.

1 Like

My 2cents worth: Dung is a great binder. I have used it with charcoal for making cooking fuel briquettes. Also, poop has as much energy as coal on a weight basis. The challenge is building a press with enough pressure to make dung into a dense piece of fuel. Your briquette fuel mix (dung, dung and biomass or dung and charcoal) along with your briquette size and density must correspond to your gasifier design.

Tom,
Coal fired power plants are the main source of fly ash these days. But Vinod is talking about a dung fired gasifier. He’s going to have ash as a by product. Might as well use it as a binder.
Rindert

Thanks tcholton717
For your suggestions.
Dear all will anyone have tried the farm residues like cotton plant lenthil plant residues , wheat millet and soyabean plant residues for feedstock for gasifier because all these crop waste is abudently available here in India and has huge potential for gasifier

2 Likes

Hi koen ,
As per your suggestion I will used dung as manure for bamboo production but here in India densely populated area the fuel will compete with food ,
Sir I just wanted to utilize the available resources instead of new thing which compete with existing.

3 Likes

Nice suggestion
Thanks you Bruce.
Will try for your apply your suggestions.

1 Like