Gasifier behind the tailgate?

Has anyone mounted a gasifier behind the tailgate of a station wagon?

If so how did you make it so one still can open the tailgate?

2 Likes

2" receiver hitch. Slide in Tee with hinges at both ends and arms. Noe two arms and gas stuff hinges outward to allow opening tail gate.

3 Likes

One way to fix a gasifier on a car.

8 Likes

That was a great ride with you again Kristijan. Did you sale that car?
Bob

1 Like

That’s work but I have to make sure to keep weight down as the leverage will make the car quite light on the front wheels.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t get what you mean exactly.

Should I mount two arms with hingers at the hitch and move them out like a V?

Or should I hinger a arm at the cars corner and fixate it on the hitch?

Only problem with hingers is to get them strong enough and to get a flexible gas pipe that handle the heat.

1 Like

Thanks for the ride driveing on wood gas. That little hopper how many miles did you need too get too work.

1 Like

Just an idea made from 2" square tubing. Maybe just one hinge and a longer arm. Maybe flex tubing or disconnect when swinging open. When closed the latch should secure that end releasing most of the strain from the hinge. Maybe start with a trailer.

3 Likes

Maybe make it out of pipe, except the 2" receiver. For the hinges use threaded pipe elbow or what ever. It would work as hinge and gas pipe. Not sure how much it would leak??? Maybe use a pipe union as the hinge point.

Hinge, swing out bracket, gas pipe and gas cooler…

3 Likes

I like the Idea of using pipe that can be the gasifier and second as the frame. Dad and i have considered building a car that has the gasifier as part of the framing such as the frame seconding as the cooling rails. I am not sure of this but I think the elbow threads would be less likely to leak than the union.

3 Likes

Story time. When I was working the racing circuit I was in Daytona fro the Daytona 500 stock car race. Before the race Smokey Yunick brought his race car in for inspection. They filled the gas tank with fuel and then drained it to make sure it held just the proper amount. Next they checked the slope of his windshield and it FAILED. Smokey was so mad, he jumped in his car with the empty gas tank and drove over 15 miles to his shop.( how much gas would a roll cage hold???) TomC

4 Likes

Thanks for the story, Smokey Yunick had many creative ideas.

I don’t think a rollcage would hold too much of gas and in a enclosed vehicle so would running woodgas though it be quite hot.

I know one that did run his exhaust though the frame rails and it did get a bit too hot.

3 Likes

Expanding on Jeff’s idea, the hinges could be only strong enough to swing the unit out. For driving the weight could rest on the tow hitch, held in place by a pin…

2 Likes

Making a hinged frame to mount the gasifier on seems possible, but what can I use for flexible gas piping?

Could I use a radiator tubing or flexible exhaust tubing?

Jeff Davis idea was very clever, but I would need a lathe to make the threads.

1 Like

Do you not have access to 2 inch threaded pipe?

1 Like

I found some black pipe fittings, I think they are made of cast iron do you think I could weld them to mild steel pipes?

1 Like

If in doubt about welding cast or what ever the fitting is, use BRAZE. You cant’ just heat the braze rod up and drop it on the fitting/pipe. You have to heat the area real good, so you can almost just wipe the rod on it-- like leading a pipe. TomC

3 Likes

Jim, standard “black pipe” plumbing welds just fine. They are not cast iron. Best bargins at Rinkaby rör, if you can’t find used parts.

2 Likes

If the elbow is cast just have your pipe threaded or weld a short threaded pipe onto the other pipe. Gas well fittings are very heavy. Two inch gas pipe might do it. Maybe grease the threads. Maybe install a few zerk fittings.

2 Likes

I used that stuff on the MEN gasifier.

2 Likes