Gasifier plans for fueling a 5.5 HP Honda engine or 11 HP Honda

I am helping an Amish neighbor who wants to build a wood-fired gasifier to produce fuel for a five or six HP Honda gasoline engine at his wood working shop. He might also fuel an eleven HP Honda engine there as well. He does not use a computer or watch videos (at least not yet) so I am looking for written plans I could get or print from pdf versions. He wants to reuse or repurpose items he has available. He works at a saw mill much of the year and has access to free oak, cedar, pine, and sometimes other wood slabs and chunks for fuel. Who has plans for building a good unit that would last a long time? Or do you have suggestions for a better path for him to follow? Steve Collins

4 Likes

Hi Steve,
Small engines usually use charcoal gasifiers. I would look at Gary Gilmoreā€™s ā€˜Simple Fireā€™, at least to start with. Library / The Simple Fire | Drive On Wood!
Rindert

4 Likes

Steven I linked to you in another thread for a charcoal gasifier, but if they already have access to slab wood Iā€™d say they should put in the effort for something like a Ben Peterson gasifier. You can buy his book ā€œThe Wood Gasifier Builderā€™s Bibleā€. Very good book, very in depth and itā€™s a well proven design.

4 Likes

Cody, I will look into that book by Ben Peterson, ā€œThe Wood Gasifier Builderā€™s Bible.ā€ Steve Collins

4 Likes

His plans are for 500cc and larger, Bens gasifier is not designed for this small of an engine.

7 Likes

That saved me some time and probably some money. Thank you. Steve

4 Likes

You mentioned in the other thread he doesnā€™t want to make charcoal, there are other small engine raw wood systems other than the Ben Peterson. For the 6 horsepower, probably 196cc Honda, charcoal really is the way to go in my opinion, but yes Matt is right, Benā€™s design is 500cc up to V8 generator units though itā€™s been used on trucks as well.

Bear in mind no matter which way you go thereā€™s a decrease in Horsepower/Kilowatt output.

2 Likes

Do you know who has some of the others (not Ben Peterson) for 196 cc Honda size?

1 Like

The only one I would know of is a Northern Self Reliance style gasifier, but I donā€™t think Stephen sells them anymore and I donā€™t know if he sells any blueprints. He had a rough guide to make the hearth zone.

This just more or less explains his specific form factor, it doesnā€™t give hard measurements.

3 Likes

Using the formulas provided by Dutch John you could put two and two together to make a small enough gasifier.

https://woodgas.nl/GB/diy.html

With the quick math I did using a Predator 212cc engine Iā€™m getting a 1.375" restriction for that engine at 3600 RPM. Awful small, I can see why Stephen Abaddessa uses that 4th nozzle to burn right at the restriction.

Iā€™d say if you were to copy Stephens design with the 4th nozzle, Iā€™d round up to an even 2" restriction for flow. Or keep a conservative size of 1.5". That 4th nozzle will be directly burning at the choke point in the hearth and ensure tars are converted.

2 Likes

Steven,
For ā€œtrouble free and lasts a long timeā€, especially for small displacement, single cylinder engines, charcoal is king. The Gary G. Simple Fire design is the beginners ticket to sucessful, self-taught small engine wood gasification. there are numerous ways of making charcoal.
Your friend does not have a computer, but why would they not want to make charcoal? It is very useful stuff, even for the garden, water filtration, and outdoor cooking.
Dutch John has a lot of material on his website, many still pictures in the ā€œMicro Gasifiersā€ section. He also goes out of his way to explain they require attention to every detail, like wood chunk size, etc. and are ā€œfussyā€, and he almost tries to talk you out of the idea entirely. He gives all the design basics of what he built, there are still areas of mystery.
Northern Self Reliance (Stephen Abidessa) gasifiers run on hardwood pellets, uniform size fuel.
Micro Gasifiers (woodgas.nl)

6 Likes

Not for a wood gasifier. Best of luck getting one to work. I spent 8 years and over a million dollars trying. Thats all I have to say on this subject.

6 Likes

I agree when it comes to the smaller single cylinder engines, charcoal takes the headache out of the equation. @d100f really showed how he can set it, forget it and rely on it daily.

3 Likes

I sent an email to Jeff Davis who had an article in a magazine on wood gasifiers. My Amish neighbor wanted me to obtain a copy of his plans. I have not received a reply. Does anyone know if he is still around? Thank you. Steve Collins

4 Likes

@Jeff has been battling cancer, and doesnā€™t post often. He might be focusing on his health.

1 Like

Hey StevenC.
JeffD. shows last active here on the DOW last April the 3rd.
Looking at his site for alternate contact possibilities:
www.puffergas.com
Try contacting him thru his youtube channel:

He has put up lots of info outside the DOW on these.
S.U.

8 Likes

I have searched without success to find the free plans by Jeff Davis for a gasifier for small engines (approx. 11 HP or less) I searched U tube, Puffer gas, and DOW. Also, I received no response to emails. I understand Mr. Davis is battling cancer so I donā€™t want to disturb him. His plans are supposed to be free through Creative Commons, but my poor computer skills have not found them. I followed Steve Unruh suggestions but no success. I did not see a video on it either. Does anyone know how I could find the plans? Steve Collins 12/11/2023 follow up from March 13, 2023.

5 Likes

Is this what youā€™re looking for?

8 Likes

Hi Steven , I may be wrong due to failing memory , i think Jeffā€™s unit was a updraft charcoal unit with the nozzle vertical in the bottom of the tank , i could be wrong but anyway , nearly all gasifier units following the simple fire design will work well for what you are wanting to do , have a look at Gary Gilmore videoā€™s on YouTube or if you are feeling confident then there are many on here right that are building downdraft units .
All the best Dave

10 Likes

Drawing by Eddy Ramos:

9 Likes