Gasometer / Gas Holder

Matt, I’m afraid that in this way pyrolysis gases will not travel down the pipe, as the whole pipe is in the same pressure area, the blow holes must reach the narrowing area, where the pressure is lower, similar to a gasoline carburetor, where the nozzle is located in the constriction. I am also a little bothered by the transverse pipe, which is an obstacle to the collapse of wood in this part.

3 Likes

I think its time for Mr @Chris to split the topics. If he has the time.

Kamil, something about this makes Sir Newton roll in his grave…

The pressure on both legs cant be the same. Its only determined by height/head, wich is significantly different on either side. Rethinking my statements, its a reverse brake asistant, the water surface in the barrel having more surface thain the inlet pipe. So there goes that theory.

Ok. Lets analyse whats happening here…

We have the barrel full of water and a non return valve in the river. We open the outlet valve. Water can exit there. In doing so, it creates a vacuum in the drum. And when the vacuum reaches the suction force on the supply pipe, water will start rushing in the barrel. But! The amount of water sucked in the barrel will never match the outflow. Soon, the sistem will collapse and with the outlet pipe empty, air will rush back and break the cycle. Untill a nother Youtube genius reinvests some more energy in the sistem by carrying in buckets of water.

5 Likes

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. This is why I never tried it. But I still want to try it and see what happens since this is a prototype. :fire:

3 Likes

No worries its seems to be related to the subject. This thread is not just for my build. Ill just be adding how I go about it. But bring the ideas in here and hopefully others will build and post here as well. Cheers

Yeah storing gas has been shunned upon and I think if we can do this safely we are really missing out on this advantage. Everyone has been so fascinated by running an engine on wood. Yet most high consumption appliances can be ran directly off this gas and far more efficiently as its a direct energy conversion at the product gas level. Ill be honest i just followed the herd along with my experiences and still would never compress the gas. To do what I plan to do will require automation in order for it to be a viable system. Some may think this is complex and sophisticated, but the reality it is not. Once the program is written and works there is nothing complicated.

4 Likes

Haa, I like the solutions of Michael and
JO, couldnt agree more with Tone. But I think you have won the TV , Kristijan! Hoax.

Matt,thanks, but why and where a gasometer? Condensing the tars or soot? Cooking? For the rest just burnit right away is easiest I think.

2 Likes

Because most appliances are too low consumption and constantly cycling to work directly off a gasifier. Plus they require very clean gas. The gasometer allows to pull rapid and high volume of gas for storage to supply the lower volumes needed for most appliances. In any case you would still need automation even if you could run directly of the gasifier you would need to fire the gasifier up, get a flare lit and then direct the gas the appliance at the right presure and volume.

I already have controls that can do all this.

To understand you must see the full picture. For an off grid system running on charcoal for electric power. You need charcoal right? Why waste energy in heat loss or create a complicated heating system to create charcoal and still lose a lot of energy?

The point of this is to also create charcoal for your charcoal generator for electric power while making gas for more efficient gas appliances. A daily allotment of charcoal production to sustain electric charging is just as much the goal as running these appliances on gas. The gas appliances reduce your electrical need and do so more efficiently. So now you have less charcoal you need to make. Less fuel as a whole you need to make, thus making going off grid with woodgas much more viable with the benefits of a charcoal stationary gasification unit.

Think about it. Say we are just running a hot water heater. If you use electric then you must convert the gas to electric right? How do we do that? We run a engine powered generator and we lose 75% of the gas energy potential in just that conversion. Now if you have a battery bank and AC inverter you have more losses. Then when the electric gets to the hot water heater what are we doing? Converting again from electric to heat!!! Why?? Kinda dumb when you can skip all that and just run that gas in a gas hot water heater; its a HUGE efficiency gain. It is time to break the mold!!

The cost for this entire system would cost less than a direct gasifier system counterpart that can only run an engine. We are no longer trying to build a complex high performance gasifier for engine fuel. It can be done much simpler and you are only building a simple gasometer that is basically taking the place of the filtering system as it is the filter. The automation cost is more than justified. Then you have the charcoal gasifier thats a no brainer. They are a fraction of the cost and far less complex, less maintenance, no tar etc.

8 Likes

If anyone can do it,it will be you Matt. Looking forward to more innovative ideas.
Bob

5 Likes

I agree with Matt here. Its what lm leaning towards also. I have HUGE amounts of potent pyrolisys gas thst l burn to dispose it every time l make a batch of charcoal. We talk Megawat hours… What a shame!

In winter, l have no use for the energy as my house is designed to utulise the heat of the woodstove to cook and warm water. The only electric consumers are a fridge and light bulbs, my actual electricity bill is 15$ a month plus connectiong costs.
But in the summer, when l also do most charcoaling, l dont need the stove anymore but l still need to cook and have hot water. This l need to take care of in the future

9 Likes

Well, we’ll “siphon” a little more, …
Some basic laws of hydraulics:
-Fluid is not compressible
-the liquid is not a rope or wire to be pulled
-liquid or gas can only be pushed
So if I draw another sketch of this situation, we see what pressure conditions are acting on the water … if anyone sees any additional force or pressure, please draw it.

7 Likes

Wrong picture. Fish is gone. :nerd_face:

7 Likes

The fish ended up in the oven with olive oil, then with potatoes and drizzled with wine in her stomach … because she laughed too much. :grinning::grinning:

7 Likes

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I’m getting a kick out of it anyway. I’m about smart enough to weld a couple pieces of metal together. That’s about it.

7 Likes

You and me both Tom. Plus 20 characters.

4 Likes

Really excellent diagram picture Tone.
You show well a suction atmospheric weight pressure system.

However the original system of “Trumpe”? is using the weight and flowing energy of water.
Much more energy’s involved.
I am not supporting that system as DIY as here in the Pacific Northwest the government’s claim these levels of water flow as only for the Public needs.
DIY, individuals can play with small suction systems and m-ay-b-e a small Ram system if done quietly. Mums the word.
I have a 1st cousin who damned up a seasonal flow creek across his steep property. For fish. For later a mini-hydroelectric system. He could have Ram systemed water up to the house gardens.
This was visible from the County road. He was “diverting” for personal uses more than our allowed 10,000 gallons.
So would have been $10,000’s dollars to make the studies, to apply for proper permitting. With anyONE of the Public able to block it at the mandatory public hearings.
He breached his retaining dam and just lets it “naturally” flow again.

So same-same . . . water, air, woodgas. Stay small. Stay below the radar. And have fun. No fun at all fighting the For-The-Public-Good Beasts. Thier game. Thier rules.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Lesson, which is worth to learn.

6 Likes

Need to clarify here.
How do I push liquid up a straw to drink? I use suction which is drawning pulling a fluid by creating a vacuum on one end of the straw that is less then the atmospheric pressure in the glass of fluid. The atmospheric pressure is then pushing fluid up the straw until it runs out of fluid. Then the atmosphere is sucked up the straw. This causes the fluid to stop going up the straw unless more vacuum suction is applied and fluid.
I did not know drinking from a straw can be so complicated. Lol
Bob

3 Likes

Bob, you clarifyed that your self. The athmospheric pressure does the work. In a way you just alow it to flow. Like opening a valve.

Imagine this. Its the same thing, same pressure difference as in a glass of water. Water flows, but there is no suction.

4 Likes

Yes, atmospheric pressure is a working force and suction or vacuum work together in a siphon. If you applied continuous water movement at the suction end this is more of a power source entering in. It is then possible to raise the water higher then the inlet of the pipe. The water is being pushed. Not just being siphoned by action.
This is what is done in a stream.
Bob

1 Like

What can we add to the gas to give it a smell like NG or LP. This gas after it settles you can not smell it.

4 Likes

Onions that have gone bad.
But maybe after burning it. It might smell like Onion rings cooking. Need a smell no one like but after burning it still no one likes. Like rotten eggs.
Bob

4 Likes