Gasometer / Gas Holder

Nozzles screw on the end of pipe when it burns up. Disposable.
Push blower to run it? Positive pressure unit?
Bob

2 Likes

I think it is just a siphon system. The barrels are to provide the initial surge to get it started.

3 Likes

Mike, I think he said that the outlet is higher than the suction inlet. If that is so, how can it siphon?

2 Likes

Im not sure what direction I will go with drafting the unit yet. I think I like the idea of just using the accumulators to draft it and eliminate blowers all together. Less expensive, less complex, less power requirement and far better longevity.

Yeah the nozzle simply unscrews from an NPT pipe and can be replaced easily and at low cost.

1 Like

There is energy in buoyancy of air when you have air rising up in a water column. The water is carried upwards with this action and gains momentum by the air bubbles.
Momentum is the stored energy here. All is needed is some continuous energy of water at the lower end to get the air into the water column.
I have seen this done in another video in a stream that actually was raising water higher in a pipe then the stream. The rocks were setup with a the continuous fall of water where you can see the waters head, like in a stream flow wing dam operation, with constant energy be provided by water flowing The falling over the rocks, the water carries energy pulling air into the area with flow of water. Traping the air and causing it to move down a parallel column.
Look at a white water river flowing to give you an idea of what is happening. White water waves are at times much higher then the main river banks out in the middle of the river. And this is just water flowing over rocks that are lower then the banks of the river.
If I can find the video I will post it.
There are two types of siphons, under and over. If you can add air to the under siphon at the lower part. You now less water volume and the air wants to rise, buoyancy. There is more head by volume before the air and energy being created at this point here.
Bob

3 Likes

I can only surmise that they are in the Southern Hemisphere and so since water runs downhill a siphon works backwards
?

4 Likes

What looks like a siphon is not really a siphon if you give it extra energy this is the key to making it work. Looks can and will deceive. Even at the the dam that I worked at. We had a 4’ siphon out of the forebay over the dam. But it still need a air chamber vacuum above the 4’ pipe to keep it running with continuous water supply to the fish hatchery ponds. Electrical driven vacuum pumps were used. And this was a head water siphon.
Bob

2 Likes

The physics is very simple and says that with the height of an object that has a certain mass, the potential energy increases, so if we want to move 1 ton of water higher for example for 3m we have to invest 29400J of energy and a dot.
Why water flows at the outlet, because he used to apply it with a bucket to the barrels.

5 Likes

Ok I added the final details so I can get the CNC files created. I changed the intake feed to come from the side. I dont know if this has ever been concieved before Im sure it has and I know the center nozzle design is nothing new. But I added a tee with a vent tube that extends up through the hopper. The intent is for this to vent the hopper gases to mix with the intake air. This gas should take the least path of resistance and is about the same idea as injecting this gas into the reduction zone. In scenario it will be injected into the combustion zone and it should be in very small quantities as this should never really allow an accumulation of the gas in the upper hopper. Ive thought about doing this years ago but never tried it. So this is a perfect project to give it a go. :fire:

I may need to add a small nozzle to the center of the lid that will extend into this vent tube. This will create a venturi effect to suck that gas out.

4 Likes

Tone beet be to it. This works similar to a cars break enhancer. Litle vacuum over high surface area increases the power pressure. But unlike a ram pump, this only works for a limited amount of time, untill the energy put in the labour of lifting the buckets of water in equals the energy of output water. Wich is not much.

He even mentions his invention being a “sea foam” (syphone) " :smile: lm not sure if you guys have the same expression as we do but sea foam means something is a hoax.

7 Likes

I love the little fish you drew in there LOL.

6 Likes

Matt l do too. She is probably so happy because the pump will not suck much water :joy:

5 Likes

theoretically, a vacuum equal to the height h1 is created in the barrel and the water rises from the stream by exactly the same height, but nothing more.
When I used to say something stupid, they told me at home to be quiet so that the cows would still laugh at me … so the fish smiled.
:grinning:

6 Likes

I really do not want to spoil @Matt topic, but I disagree with you, @Tone. The pump works on principle of force which is applied to different masses. The pressure difference inside the barrel is the same on both legs. But that pressure applied to the area of input pipe creates force which is enough to lift mass of the water from the stream. But the pressure applied over the surface of water inside the barrel is not strong enough to keep mass of water not to fall down. Because water Is incompressible, water flows out of the tap at the end. The key figure in the design is to have mass_outflow/mass_inflow >> drum_area/input_area.

One may imagine the water in outflow leg as a liquid piston pulling and water in inflow leg as pulled one coupled through the vacuum in between them. The force applied by outflow is m1.g.h1 and is able to lift from the stream mass of water of potentional energy proportional to ratio of areas of those two pistons.

2 Likes

I think this one saw too much syphoning

ful-fisk-puss

10 Likes

Matt, I’m afraid that in this way pyrolysis gases will not travel down the pipe, as the whole pipe is in the same pressure area, the blow holes must reach the narrowing area, where the pressure is lower, similar to a gasoline carburetor, where the nozzle is located in the constriction. I am also a little bothered by the transverse pipe, which is an obstacle to the collapse of wood in this part.

3 Likes

I think its time for Mr @Chris to split the topics. If he has the time.

Kamil, something about this makes Sir Newton roll in his grave…

The pressure on both legs cant be the same. Its only determined by height/head, wich is significantly different on either side. Rethinking my statements, its a reverse brake asistant, the water surface in the barrel having more surface thain the inlet pipe. So there goes that theory.

Ok. Lets analyse whats happening here…

We have the barrel full of water and a non return valve in the river. We open the outlet valve. Water can exit there. In doing so, it creates a vacuum in the drum. And when the vacuum reaches the suction force on the supply pipe, water will start rushing in the barrel. But! The amount of water sucked in the barrel will never match the outflow. Soon, the sistem will collapse and with the outlet pipe empty, air will rush back and break the cycle. Untill a nother Youtube genius reinvests some more energy in the sistem by carrying in buckets of water.

5 Likes

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. This is why I never tried it. But I still want to try it and see what happens since this is a prototype. :fire:

3 Likes

No worries its seems to be related to the subject. This thread is not just for my build. Ill just be adding how I go about it. But bring the ideas in here and hopefully others will build and post here as well. Cheers

Yeah storing gas has been shunned upon and I think if we can do this safely we are really missing out on this advantage. Everyone has been so fascinated by running an engine on wood. Yet most high consumption appliances can be ran directly off this gas and far more efficiently as its a direct energy conversion at the product gas level. Ill be honest i just followed the herd along with my experiences and still would never compress the gas. To do what I plan to do will require automation in order for it to be a viable system. Some may think this is complex and sophisticated, but the reality it is not. Once the program is written and works there is nothing complicated.

4 Likes

Haa, I like the solutions of Michael and
JO, couldnt agree more with Tone. But I think you have won the TV , Kristijan! Hoax.

Matt,thanks, but why and where a gasometer? Condensing the tars or soot? Cooking? For the rest just burnit right away is easiest I think.

2 Likes