Gasometer / Gas Holder

Kristjan , in my opinion a 10 m water column can only produce at best 1 bar of air pressure , in practice less , as water mixed with gas is lighter than 1kg/1litre. As far as I understand this system it makes sense to use it if we have a lot of high pressure water available to convert into compressed air or gas , I imagine this process is similar to the venturi effect in a carburettor but here the water has a velocity which sprays into the pipe in a directed jet , thus creating a vacuum at the mouth of the pipe ,ā€¦ in the subsequent process - the horizontal pipe - the gas is trapped in a siphon in a container , the water is vented, I can say, and the height of the last column determines the pressure,ā€¦ 10m - 1bar.:thinking::grinning:
Friends, I wish you all the best in the new year.

6 Likes

As you sayd Tone. Pressure realy isnt the goal here as we talk low pressure gasometers, regarding gas storage.

Regarding the compressed air, l only need low pressure air. Pond and septic tank are only about a meter deep so thats just 0.1 bar of pressure. One bar is more thain enaugh for what l need this thing for

4 Likes

10 m is one bar. And you need the extra height to suck in air.
Venturi is interesting but not very efficient. Abandunt that idea 15 years ago in my kind of work. It is according to Bernouilli. Total pressure stays the same, make speed to increase dynamic pressure so static decrease and there it starts sucking. Draft is increased with the second force so there goes your efficiency. Air as a powersource is only interesting in some special area (mining) or , if your powersource to compress air is available in huge quantities.

And yes, why updraft? TLUD is much more efficient? Just asking.

3 Likes

Filling gasometer with ā€œfreeā€ energy Is good idea, but in this case I would try to utilize the waste heat from the gasifier. Thermoelectric devices are now readily available as well as construction materials.

3 Likes

Oh crap l see my mistake now. I ment 1 bar not 10.

This is too low of a pressure for any powertools but thats not the powersorce l had in mind. There is a interesting simple water pump powered by low pressure compressed air that l like. Has only one moving part l thinkā€¦ This all falls together with the fishpond sistem l will be building.

Im not realy looking for efficiancy, lm looking for durability. I have bred fish before and had good sucsess. Until the pump went off for a couple of hours. This did not happen once and each time it did all that was left in the tank was floating bellys. This time l need to make it foulproof.

TLUD is a batch sistem. You cant realy top it up if needs beā€¦

7 Likes

Haaa, it surprised me and already expected it was a wrong typing.

I was more refering to Matt and his updraft. Why not the otherway around?

2 Likes

A down draft would be better but a down pressure by blowing air in would work better. Like Kristijan has done on his gasifier units. It seems to work very well if you just want to make lots of gases quicky.
Bob

3 Likes

Something about this idea does not smell right to me but maybe you can figure it out. Free Energy Water Pump - Explain Details How to install Drum Pump Function - No Electricity Here. - YouTube

5 Likes

Hey Don .

I think I would have much better luck at doing a rain dance and save the expense of the drums and pipes. :smile:

8 Likes

Well this was a learning experience of how simple it can be done. However the charcoal production is not quite what I was hoping. Im going to run a few more hoppers but I dont think this will meet criteria. I think it will need an active grate to dump the charcoal as its made; so it would need to be a downdraft. But the good is, this nozzle jet can be inverted so I can keep much of the simplicity of this. But with the added complexity of a grate and motor agitator. No bigger there been there done that.

So Ill whip up a new cad model here over this weekend. Basically it will just have this same jet set up but inverted and dropped down from the top. Like Jacob was talking bout doing. I am going to leave the top plate as that will spread the air intake stream outward. No hearth chamber just this jet sticking down and a simple reduction chamber for the grate set up.

2 Likes

What Wayne sayd :smile: l do see how it works for the video thugh, there will be some water sucked in the barrel but never as much as its been dumped in.

7 Likes

Wayne, would you do us a favor and make a video of your rain dance?

7 Likes

No Way !! Already too wet and muddy around here .

Maybe next July or August .

11 Likes

Okay DOW members, we should hold Wayne to what he said. I would love to see Wayne kick up his heels and do a little dancing during the next dry season. May be at Argos if it is dry enough?
Bob

8 Likes

Don, went to the ā€œfree energy water pumpā€ guyā€™s channel and watched some of his other videos. There is something legit going on here. I will keep watching to try and figure it out. There are some other channels similar. Yes, I know it doesnā€™t make senseā€¦ :cowboy_hat_face: :thinking: :pouting_cat: :grin:
Edit: He has built / (invented?) a new kind of ram pump. Watch this video and listen carefully.

4 Likes

Mike, the only thing that I can figure out is that it might seem to work for a while but just like perpetual motion, it will gradually cycle slower and slower until the outgoing water does not have the power anymore to pull more in. If you can figure it out we will let you do the rain dance instead of @Wayne . :smiley:

4 Likes

Don, Yes, that is the thing. He pre-loads energy into the system by lifting 45 gallons of water by hand into the barrel / tank to start it. How long does it run is the question. I am still fascinated, may have to try making one!! Yee Haa! :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

There are several places to see homemade gasometers for methane storage.
Hereā€™s one (that also includes methane digesters):

7 Likes

There a fella on YouTube down in Australia that set up a bio digester in a ibc tote, that vents into some sort of bag that when it fills up he compresses it into propane tanks, pretty neat thing. See if I can find itā€¦

This is the guy. Not sure it is anything very useful to woodgas but still neat

4 Likes

Ok so version 2. This one is a little more complex but still simple as far as a down draft gasifier goes. The nozzle is a 1 inch full pipe couple with (4) 1/2 inch holes drilled at its center. Then a pipe plug to seal off the bottom. Grate is very passive with gussets on the top side to help break up the charcoal. The support also has gussets to the top side the are under the grate. There are two main weldments. The reactor core and the reactor housing. The core is the center fire tube and this simply fits inside the housing. This creates an outer chamber for exiting gas to migrate out the exhaust port to the right of the model shown here.

I will need to design a lifting mechanism to lift the gasifier off of the catch barrel to exchange it. Ill more than likely integrate this directly into the gasometer infrastructure somehow. So a bit more complex but still cost effective to build. If i have time this next week Ill bang this thing out and use some barrels I have here at the shop.

Note this blue highlight section is the motor mount bracket for the grate agitator.

3 Likes