JO's gasified 92 Volvo

If I loaded up my 275 gallon tanks and drove to your side to fill them I would end up loosing money at the milage the v10 gets! Paid 4.19 today to fill the bike

5 Likes

Friends, regarding the pops in the collector, I can say the following; I came across them only once, when I rolled my Opel through the puddles with a very high quality. At the same time, water got into the distributor and I received a discharge on all four candles, the situation was quickly resolved by wiping all parts with a dry rag. My engine has an ignition distributor and it only sparks when needed, no second spark. I wanted to add a comment about the ignition timing in engines with a compression ratio of more than 1:10, with an increase in the compression ratio, there is no need to increase the advance angle at all, the mixture starts to burn much sharper and knock sensors begin to respond to this fact, which leads to normal operation of the standard ignition systems.

10 Likes

How does the car feel uphill, very curious, sounds like you do not need to use gasoline any more.

1 Like

Joni, what is the compression ratio of your Opel? I increased it to 1:13 in my Subaru and I can say that the torque increased significantly and the consumption decreased. Joni, when you say that the pre-ignition angle does not need to be increased, I agree with you, because at high pressure and condensed mixture we achieve combustion in an instant, but if the ignition happens too early, when the piston moves up and further compresses the burned mixture, detonation occurs. which, in addition to leaking suction valve seats, can cause backfire,

7 Likes

Wow! 1:13 is a lot, is this a real ratio or is it just your compression ratio (pressure in the combustion chamber with a pressure gauge instead of a spark plug)?
I have a compression ratio of 1:11 in the engine (calculated mathematically) and the angle of the ignition distributor corresponds to the factory mark.

8 Likes

subaru has an interesting engine construction, ej18, ej20 and even ej25 have the same geometry, so the cylinder heads can be easily installed between the mentioned types. So I installed the ej18 engine heads on the ej20 and replaced the original 1.6 mm thick gasket with a 0.6 mm gasket so the mathematical compression ratio is somewhere around 1:13. in the original it has 1:10

10 Likes

Agree that with such a compression ratio, the ignition timing adjustment is almost irrelevant.
:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Neighbours know my needs. They supply me with more paper grossery bags than I need. Paper bags will let some remaining chunk moisture evaporate at long term storing indoors.

Video below :grin:
80km one way to m-in-law’s.
We had a couple pops on our way home, but the good news is there was enough wood left in the hopper for another 20km or so when fueling up for our return trip. And no need for hybriding :grin:

I lifted wife up for some cherry picking :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: She managed to pick 26 kg (56 pounds) in a couple hours.

16 Likes

Was the 200°C at the gas exit or in the hopper?

1 Like

Cody, those 200 C (392 F) is woodgas coming out of the heat exchanger. Before it enters the cooler.
The hopper never reaches boiling temp, unless you run really low on wood. 60-70C is normal operating temp.

4 Likes

Wow I’m impressed JO, these Volvo’s have a really good engine for DOW. I could hear the engine chugging up the hill at 2500 rpms. Nice. Thanks for the ride to your mother inlaw’s house, she has a wonderful Son in law.
Bob

6 Likes

Thanks for the Tuesday ride in your Sunday car. I’m impressed!

8 Likes

Thanks for letting us ride with you JO .

Don’t forget the lemons :smile:

8 Likes

It goes incredibly well, and it does not get hot either, with that you have really succeeded.
Thanks for the ride. :grinning:

7 Likes
2 Likes

JO what is going on?

Haha, nothing special. Days off from work, beat from chores around the house during the day, had a couple beers and ended up on fb for the first time in a long time :smile:

7 Likes

Back to business.
Wife just told me she put this on her facebook. I had no idea. Me squeezing wood (+a bucket of char) into the hopper for a long trip.

https://youtu.be/t9UI8Qv1xcA

14 Likes

JO, I am keeping low profile until there is the time to DO something. But got this one today and thought it is Swedish. At least it sounds like knakkebrod.
Enjoy the free time, if there is any.

5 Likes