Life goes on - Summer 2017

On todays news from a nearby village.
I wouldn´t dare do this with the Rabbit. I´d be worried losing my charbed (into the hopper :smile: )

2 Likes

Just as he goes off the end of the ramp, he drives through a pipe rail. That rail looks like it actuates something but I can see what. Does he say anything in the write up? TomC

No, I´m sorry! Nothing.
I think the rail´s purpose is just to give the vehicle the extra push needed to start the backwards rotation. When that work is done the rail falls down to give room for the rear end of the vehicle to pass. Anyway, I bet he used his thinking chair a lot.

2 Likes

It looks like practice could be expensive and hurt.

3 Likes

I just forwarded that to a friend, he had basically the same comment. I said that if I borrowed the machine of a fellow I don’t care for, or won the lottery and had no will to live, that would explain. :wink:

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2017 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 11-14

Don’t just dump your char - eat it!

The health benefits of activated charcoal
There was a study that was published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, and reported that the activated charcoal can prevent flatulence and can also relieve cramps and bloating, that can appear as a result of internal gasses.
It will also absorb the cholesterol that can be found in the gastrointestinal tract. Other studies suggest that it can reduce the bad cholesterol levels by 42%, while increasing the levels of good cholesterol by 8%.

11 Likes

It also absorbs toxins.

2 Likes

Hey Don ,

Keep this quite , if the wife finds this out she will be spiking every one of my meals with the black gold :grin:

May not have any left to go in the garden :confounded:

10 Likes

I think it tastes better after you put it in the garden and convert it into vegetables

2 Likes

Father in law told me they used to give charcoal to cows if they had diharea.

2 Likes

I drank some charcoal yesterday myself.

1 Like

It could end up in the garden eventually… :wink:

And make the veggies taste better… :wink:

http://humanurehandbook.com/manual.html

Is there any creditable truth is useing human waist for gardon for food, i was allways told planting a garden on top of my feild tile was toxic poison or cause some sort of illness.

1 Like

Hey Kevin, look into the book reviews, or better yet read the author’s book, or just review the website. The fellow is very humorous and down to earth, and has been recycling waste to greatly improve his garden for well over 20 years. Using this system will make your land richer year after year, our current practices strip nutrients out of the land and throw them away, generally into surface waters, otherwise into ground water.

He breaks down all the do’s and dont’s, it’s a solid process well worth studying. Hot composting, 2 year cycle breaks all pathogen chains, and provides great nutrient recycling, a tremendous simplification and solution to plumbing and waste disposal.

If a person doesn’t want to ever have to call a plumber again, or deal with septic trucks, or planning authorities about septic fields, or worry about contaminating ground water, this is the solution to building a cabin or new home. (Never mind cut your water bill / requirements to just a small fraction of a flush toilet house)…

It’s true that the practice in Asia of using raw sewage on agricultural crops is a very poor practice with obvious risks.

It’s a concept foreign to our traditions, but well worth considering. Not much different from how we gladly embrace the use of cow manure.

2 Likes

We would do the same with calves when they got sick. Helped alot settling their digestive system.

2 Likes

Kevin it can be done with human waste but you have to be careful. It is very common in Tiawan I know from my time there probably other parts of Asia as well.

Animal waste is alot safer because there are less common pathogens which cows get that can make you sick. I was told here on the farm always use waste from animals that doesn’t eat meat and anything with a 4 chambered stomach is better because seeds from weeds get broken down better.
Here when I was a kid we use fresh cow manure all the time without ever having any trouble. My grandfather always said you can’t get too much manure on the garden. After 100 years or so of gardening in the same spot with wood ashes and manure added every year the soil is more productive then anywhere else on the property so he must have taught me something that works…

I do have the book mentioned above it looks to be correct in how you have to handle human waste to me.

3 Likes

Dan, the only qualification that I would add is that cow manure isn’t so benign, at least fresh manure, as there have been many cases of ecoli contamination of foods stemming from fresh cow manure. All fecal matter has to be managed appropriately and with deference. According to composting experts, they claim that composted material has greater fertility. Also, a compost pile is the perfect place to incorporate and innoculate biochar, bringing the discussion back to charcoal.

I favour more biochar, and more nutrient recycling.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explaining about the book, i have next too no farming life experiance.

1 Like

Feel free to ask all the farm questions you want. It is always nice to see somone start gardening. I find it soo nice to pull out canned and frozen vegetables from my own garden all winter long reminds me of the summer and raising them

1 Like