Life goes on - Summer 2019

It looks better in your yard than mine I still have to finish too many things for snow.

2 Likes

Gary If we had that kind of snow down here the roads would be closed and school would be out, and winter would be completely set in. :grin::grin:

3 Likes

This is just the warm up snow. :wink:

And it was 19 and 17C Monday and Tuesday…

But real winter will be a whole different level.

1 Like

It may be time to change the topic heading . . .

5 Likes

Building a new cabin so the children and grandchildren can visit during the winter. It’s a 12’x20’. It will have a screened in porch on one side and low hanging eaves on the other side for wood storage.
We have our first snow coming tomorrow night. Winter is closing in.

17 Likes

Hi All.
Fall here has a different meaning.
24F yesterday morning meant the black walnut tree gave up the season and was raining down leaf-sprigs and nuts. Glad I made the wife re-park, move her Ford Edge.
Our first frosts were a week ago. Bye-bye garden. Hello leaf color changes.
Woodstove fires every evening and mornings now.
Loving it.
S.U.

9 Likes

I agree Steve U. During the summer, I can’t wait to light up the wood stove. We’ve had ours going off and on for about three weeks now. We haven’t had any hard frosts yet. That comes tonight.
I know I won’t get all the stuff done before winter sets in. It is what it is. The tomatoes are in the greenhouse and hopefully that’ll be enough. 2" of snow expected tomorrow while we are out of town.

6 Likes

Just getting past an exceptionally bad early snowstorm here. Out west we only caught the edge of it, but it had the trans Canada highway shut down right across the province, there was maybe 10" of snow here with 40 mph winds, but 2 ft not far to the east. The hydro utility is completely overwhelmed. On top of all that, we had the wettest September ever, over 3 times normal rain, the flood gates on the Red river have been activated, fall flooding is practically unknown here.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5319652

4 Likes

A small world, I was somewhere in Manitoba and repairing a transformer outside a city a few years ago, it was a factory that built transformers there too, but can’t remember the name of the town.
Hope it went well for you in the snow.

3 Likes

That does make for a small world. There are only a few cities in the province. Were you in the south, or the north?

From what I see, there is transformer manufacture in Winnipeg.

In the west we’re ok, but in other parts in rural areas I wouldn’t be surprised if they are without power for up to weeks. Fortunately it isn’t very cold yet, we’re about a month before true winter falls.

4 Likes

Wisconsin had the wettest Sept. in our history. I drove past one of our dams, and in all the years I have lived here I have never seen the water gushing out like it is. TomC

7 Likes

Now I know where our rain went . We had no rain in the month of Sept.:frowning_face:

5 Likes

We had only 1/4 in of rain in Sept. one of the driest on record

6 Likes

Hi Garry, Just be glad you do not live in Northern California, the government agencies shutdown 800,000 peoples electrical services. They are forced off the grid. Get this, because the power system is so over loaded that the transformers were blowing up and was causing fires. This makes Washington state is a great place to live.
Bob

3 Likes

Unfortunately CA is just waking up to the reality facing all of us. Over the last half century we exnored most of our aging infrastructure and grew the size of our population at the same time. The result is increasing fragility of the systems we depend on. If you look back to pre WWII the vast majority of our society lived on small farms that where perfectly capable of surviving on their own without all the modern support systems like a power water and sewage grid. But life is so much better when we simply sit in our AC and order delivery pizza.
Our society has forgotten the value of a honest days work canning your own garden and splitting your own wood.

11 Likes

Alabama is great to. I don’t know who would want to live in California I can’t think of a more annoying place to live .

7 Likes

Cut, split and stacked wood yesterday. Today we made apple cider. My mother-in-law took a turn. She is 91 years old and the cider press is about 150.

12 Likes

Thanksgiving weekend is often an opportunity to squeeze apples. It was also our occupation of the day.
I take this opportunity to join the link to the Facebook page of Projet La Ruche, the family farm business. You can follow the progress of the project and photos of our facilities for pressing apples.

7 Likes

Continued here: Life goes on - Winter 2019

2 Likes