Life goes on - Summer 2019

Hi Wayne, these are some nice pics The red 58-60 ford pickup really looked familiar. I see it has a utility light wonder what it was used for
I enjoy going to old car shows a lot of history behind these vehicles.

2 Likes

Hang on to your pocketbook Wayne, I see Lisa standing next to two different Cadillac cars. She might be trying to tell you something :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey Don .

Take a close look at the tag on the black Cadillac ( 92 CORPSE )

It is a hearse , I think 1992 :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Alain after forty years of service in the company, he retired, and attached his gift of departure.

9 Likes

DOW has been easy for a while. It will require a bit more planning from now on. This morning DOWing home from work it was -9C.
I’ll be in slippers and underwear in the armchair by the basement boiler. See you in April :smile:

6 Likes

Wow what a difference here and there !!

All this last week I have been DOWing and working in 100f temps. The forecast for today will be a little cooler at about 95F .

No rain in over a month but should get some this weekend .

4 Likes

My weather man said,“cooling in the Southeast today”. I thought of you and wondered if that meant you could take a nap and enjoy it, or if you would be out working and enjoying the cooler day. Now you say it is going to be 5 degrees cooler. That doesn’t sound like “cooler” to me.
For us we have gone two days without rain, the trees are getting beautiful, and I have seen a couple of flights of geese heading south. I’m finding it harder to get out to the shop. TomC

6 Likes

Helped the eldest son with some soil moving, when we were ready I would drive back the tractor, did not go so good front wheel bearing broken

5 Likes

One thing I love about the DOW is I am learning. When JO posts -9 C I can convert to get the F eqivilent then I can realize a real life experience when I see 15f. So maybe before I die I can Just look at 32 C and -40 C and all the numbers in between and relate to the body’s reaction to that number

5 Likes

If only you southerners could share at least some of that heat. I don´t need much. I would settle for 70F :smile:

5 Likes

JO.
You can have a little of it but don’t take much, I am not interested in -9C.:grin::grin::grin:
Wayne I don’t Know if you got any but we got a nice 2.5 hr thunder storm today first rain in between 5-7 weeks, I don’t remember exactly.

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll offer you some -30C later on :smile:

4 Likes

Got a new baby calf today both the mother and calf are doing good. I have to say that is probably the best thing about Galloway cows I have not had one calving issue since I got them.
Also been busy on my barn repairs. Put in the last rafter and got the wall and door instead on half of my barn that was falling down. Still working on the roof

9 Likes

Nice door. How long did that take you to make?

2 Likes

What Jacob said. That door is a piece of art.

3 Likes

It took the better part of 3 days fitting it in around the other things I have to do around the farm. Maybe 15 hours total time in it. Almost all the 5 inch boards on the inside where cut from the scraps after I built the wall with 16 foot long boards so they where one board from top to bottom of the wall. It was nice to know the wall didn’t have a break in the vertical boards to worry about weather damage. But I had to srip them all down to 5 inches wide so I could cut the 45 degree angle with my chop saw. There is a layer of billboard vynal in the middle forming a wind break. I got lucky a company I worked for in the past was moving and I got a few rolls of the material which was too old to run through a printer. Makes a great building wrapper it is the same stuff I put on the roof to keep the steal and aluminum from interacting with each other. That allowed me to use some old roofing that was kicking around the farm. No idea when that was taken off a roof but it had to be close to half a century it sat up in the old barn. I remember it being there when I was a small kid.
I started in all 4 corner of the door putting in the diagonal boards one in each side so it would spiral in. Once I got to the point where it was 90 degree cuts again I also had used up all my random scraps so I used 8 inch wide boards about as wide as my 12 inch chop saw will cut. If I has it to do again I would definitely buy the sliding chop saw but at the time I never dreamed I would have a mill and need wider cuts.
But it was slow going as I hadn’t tried to build a door like that before. I was pleased with how it came out.
Oh that is a strip of aluminum flashing over the top of the door to protect the end grain from the weather as it is beyond the drip edge of the roof. Also the tracks and hinges where salvaged from old barn doors around here that are no longer in usage so I have only had to buy the nails and screws for this project.

7 Likes

Very nice, Dan. If you’re going to do it, do it right! Pepe

5 Likes

Winter’s coming…

7 Likes

It looks better in your yard than mine I still have to finish too many things for snow.

2 Likes

Gary If we had that kind of snow down here the roads would be closed and school would be out, and winter would be completely set in. :grin::grin:

3 Likes