Life goes on - Summer 2019

I bet the chocolate isn’t from Germany either.

5 Likes

Hi DanA.
Now for actual farm tractors then you have to understand the significance of the available made-for-Tractor-fuel. This was an available at 3cents a gallon as a left-over byproduct from the thru the 30’s defractionating distilleries.
The farmers thru the 30’s and even early 40’s were still tractor comparing to horse farming.

Over the road diesel truck were higher compression, higher performance. Naval engines were also. Road construction, logging equipment was all high compression diesels build for power and durability. All needing good spec diesel fuels.

Re-formulating refineries were developed during WWII in the USofA to be able to better bias convert more of a barrel of crude into higher value outputs. So much less wastes left over. Slowly bye-bye to cheap cheap farm-ag tractor “vaporizing fuel”.
Having to then buy the good more expensive pump diesel then farm tractor engines from the 1950’s were designed for good diesel power. Much more power.

Regards
Steve unruh

7 Likes

I fully share your theory
it must be for this reason that my daughter and my son-in-law have so many administrative difficulties to integrate our small family farm.(self-sufficient)
when your approach tends towards autarky you will not receive any help only from restrictions

4 Likes

There have been some shifts in thinking in some areas. One, notably, is micro-finance in India and the neighboring region. Used to be the banking industry was not interested in the small guy. Then some development people did micro-finance projects and it proved out to be big business to give village women $10 and $500 loans to get start up money for small business. Now an industry in the billions.

I believe the same thing can, should, and likely will be forced to happen in other areas as the markets demand it. I am thinking of stuff like small scale plastic-to-diesel projects that will clean up the trash in the world. Intensive small-area agriculture development as is being seen in Thailand and Cambodia, Viet Nam where there is limited space for families who have divided the family farm 5 or 10 times. Etc. And many other thing like that.

Kristijan is right, whatever our problems are, we have to have variety of solutions. Seems to me that most of the big problems were caused by homogenization and globalization anyway. I think things were better when we had a lot more ways of doing things. Diversity is good pretty much in every area of creation, human or otherwise. crop diversity, language diversity, cultural diversity. Henry Ford sure found that out in Guayana with his engineered latex plantation.

Anyway, I probably don’t have all the answers, but I am off on Monday to the heart of Africa to see if I can help with the problems there. Pray for us that we make things better and not worse…Be back on in a couple months. Jakob will probably keep you posted until then…Oh, he got his next truck fired up last night on wood. He was a big black sooty smile when he came in from the shop.

11 Likes

Hey JO .

From looking at this artical it seems yall are real serious about fighting climate change :grinning:

We on this site can do our part by DOW and will not have to change our diet .

Here in the states Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may be the first one to eat her uncle or grandpaw .

5 Likes

Haha, nuts are plenty. We could start setting our tables with them on our plates. Should last for a while :smile:

4 Likes

Ha! Ha! Fall has come suddenly here early the morning of the 8th.
Lightning. Then closer thunder. 200 hundred strikes in an hour, for hours. Now 3 inches of raining in the last 36 hours. A couple of small tornadoes damaging.
No more outside dry harvest wood now until next June.

My blackberries, pears, prunes all to the ground harvest-dropped.

Then this sudden change moved north and put on an appearance to my more northern Washington woodgas friends.
Now moved east to visit south central Canada.

I am not complaining. I like the cooler cloudier Fall. I can now go back to fence line prepping through our forest trees without sparks-making worrying even from the hand-tools to rocks strikes.

And rain/clouds means no corn killing frosts, yet. Still maybe get some filled out corn ears.
Ha! We only expect to get vine dried beans and peas one every 4-5 unusually late dry years.
Won’t be this year.

Regards to all. And enjoy your Autumns blessings changes as they come.
Steve unruh

7 Likes

Hi All,
Seven days later . . . . and a measured full 10 inches of rain now later. Ha! Three more days of rains stacked out into the Pacific.
Full Fall-like here now. Last of the tomatoes went into an end of season vegetable-hamburger soup.
We did get some fresh eating corn. Sigh. These fresh vegi’s and my now maxed-out FTD medication I’m finding are contra-impossible. I lost most of these days in reactions. Still . . . nice to be able tor read/talk/think.
As I said with rains we still have not had a growth stopping/leafs dropping frost yet.

Keep up the getting with it guys.
As SteveB’s car-show post showed well: “Practical use outshines Pretty can’t-hardly any day”
Can’t-hardly in a road traveling vehicle means can’t hardly handle driveways in&outs, pot-holes, road debris, curbside puddling, or any amounts of ice and snows. Get stuck on a dead cat/rabbit/raccoon.
Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Steve,
I bent down to check the clearance on one of those fancy cars. It looked like 2 inches to me. Of course, then there was the other extreme on a jeep looking vehicle–more than 2 feet to the body.

5 Likes

Began to make way (road) for winter harvesting, i make the ground stable enough with spruce.

8 Likes

Mother nature in his benevolence, wishes to sanctify the biomass plant, manufacturer of wood pellets, by his rainbow

10 Likes

Nice I don’t see many double rainbows around here.

2 Likes

Hello all.

I took the dakota to a locall car show this morning and talked to a lot of people. Most of the folks had never heard of gasification and I gave them a good talk.

Over the years I have memorized big words and phrases form members like Steve U , Koen , Matt , JO , Kristijan and many many more on the DOW. Some thought I was a chemist or scientist , one even ask if I had ever worked for NASA :joy::joy:

Mainly posting to see if I can post pics .

IMG_0973 IMG_0974 IMG_0975 IMG_0976 !(upload://iInnmlmXVTwioYstbGnHHelWRQ1.jpeg) IMG_0978 IMG_0979 IMG_0980 IMG_0981 IMG_0982 IMG_0983 IMG_0984 IMG_0985 IMG_0986 IMG_0987 IMG_0988 IMG_0989 IMG_0990 IMG_0991 IMG_0992 IMG_0993

12 Likes

The first car I fell in love with was the 1957 Chevy. I was 14.

2 Likes

Wayne, I suppose you were in the “One in a Million” class—nice show with a lot of variety.

5 Likes

Thanks for the pictures of the cars. I LOVE car shows all though I don’t go as often as I would like. The car show I put my truck in, I kept so busy talking that I didn’t get to look at many cars except the ones close to me. (I talk like I type— way too much.) Just FYI-- that purple and white '55 Sunliner Ford was colors they actually had that year. TomC

4 Likes

Sorry about the photo issues folks. Should be resolved.

4 Likes

@Chris, still doesent work here. Is there any other way to upload pictures, or shrink with a weak minded operater on wifes smart phone (me).

1 Like

I have been using pics sent through my messaging app, they are resized automatically. Send them to someone, then save a copy to your image gallery, then use that copy

1 Like

KristiJan, several suggestions on TomC’s thread 4 dags ago (post 1184 and forward).
We all belive our own way is the easiest :smile: Anything you get used to is easy.

3 Likes