Life goes on - Summer 2023

Finally, season has come to an end.

Weather forcast is not very optimistic and the state of bushes is really bad. So no time to wait and last pickup performed today

With two more buckets from backyard 70 kg alltogether. Which makes up total harvest exceed 500 kg.

18 Likes

kamil, you have obviously two green thumbs…
impressive your garden success!
always nice to see
ciao giorgio

9 Likes

Hi All,
Cool raining today and for the next couple of days.
Certainly not summer anymore. No-no, I’m not yet asking for a change to a Winter topic.
But finally cool enough I can wear my feet and ankles supporting Danner Arcadia’s!

(Like wearing those therapy foot supports only with a sure gripping tread and mostly waterproof.)
Has to be 50F/10C and below with medium merino socks to be able to do the up on ladder works I did today.
Set 300+ galvanized screws driven in, to keep the trim boards from blowing off of the chicken house and garden shed in their upcoming moves down the freeway at 65 MPH.
Sure I got wet.
Just goes with where I was born, and live. Our normal.
Regards
Steve Unruh

12 Likes

I thank you for the tips, on medicine for pain in the knees.
My wife has been taking rosehip powder now since I asked you, and the pain is almost gone, thanks a lot for any tips.

12 Likes

We are happy that she has less pain :blush:

I guess this means you can put your dancing shoes on again, Jan :smiley:

13 Likes

The last week I have been working on a ss barrel for storing pasteurized applejuice in as Kristijan mentioned

Dirty work this…

And I thought it was a perfect time to try out the welding technique that Steve mentioned

It worked pretty good welding ss 1,0mm (19 gauge)

In the bathroom now filled with water for a leaktest over night

16 Likes

Good job, Johan. Is that a standard barrel size 200+ liters?

6 Likes

Up to the rim it is 260 litres or 68,5 gallons but with the floating lid I’m expecting about 250 litres (66 gallons) to fit :smiley:
But it doesn’t have to be full though

6 Likes

Johan, l hope those arent bruises from your wife beating you up :smile:

Wery nice. But did l understand right that ypu plan to put pasteurised juice in? What l was talking about is cider…

3 Likes

Haha, no bruises from my wife :smiley:
Yes, we were talking about cider and that is also in the plan but juice should also be ok if I look at the companies that sell these kind of containers (and apple juice is consumed by the whole family).
I was thinking of making another smaller one later on for cider, if I ferment in another container I ’save’ time because apple harvest has to be done soon.

5 Likes

Well its hit and miss… l tryed a couple of times with mixed resaults. Only one yeast cell coming in somehow will ruin the whole batch.

Last time l did this l placed a burner under the cistern and boiled the juice in the cistern itself. Yes, boiled, not pasteurised (80c). I always boil. I learned l waste a lot more nutrition if it all goes bad thain if l heat a bit higher… taste changes a bit thugh… not nessesery in a bad way.
Anyways, then l put the floating lid with oil on the hot juice and put a shotglass of sulfurous acid (not sulferic). Hopefully this wuld form a SO2 rich athmosphere in the air above the floating lid as it evaporates. Then l taped the top lid with foil.

It lasted for a month or two, them it started fermenting. I suspect father in law poured out too much juice too quickly, and it created a vacuum above the floating lid, so it sucked air in from the pouring valve. Unfortunaly, the pasteurised and then fermented juice is discusting as a cider so it was discarded.

10 Likes

Oh, that is not good… perhaps I should make less this year as a tryout and see how it goes, it would be demotivating for it to go bad.
I guess I’ll make more (hard) cider instead this year, don’t want to work for nothing
Thank you for the input with real-life experiences, much appreciated :blush:

7 Likes

A nother good way is if you put juice in a beer keg. It will ferment but at a point it reaches the pressure of about 7bar and somehow this stops the yeast. It will give you a wery mild cider, sweet with maybe 1 or 2% alcohol, barely noticable. And its fizzy. It is hard to pour thugh, you can vent the pressure but then it has to be drunk quickly, or you can pour it trugh a valve slowly, it spits out foam basicly but it settles quickly in to liquid. It looses most of the fizz thugh…

7 Likes

Oh! Also, l put a blanket around the hot cistern so that it cools as slow as possible. Good luck.

7 Likes

I have been wanting to get my hands on a couple of kegs for a while now but I haven’t stumbled upon any yet and I am not paying premium price for them. Would be nice to try and I guess that it will keep some sugars in it since it doesn’t fully ferment and that will probably appeal to my wife too :smiley:
The blanket is a good idea, that will be used.

5 Likes

This time l threw the whole pig in the hood. 27 hours of charcoal smoke later… no nitrates!

17 Likes

We finally gave up and fixed the tire on the Hough-O-saurus and hired a guy to bring it home for us.
We got an hour of work out of it. It won’t start now. It has exhaust blowing out the radiator cap.
I know the Volvo L90M is better in every way, but it’s not allowed in the woods. We bought it to move snow, and I don’t want it all smashed up. So, we like the dinosaur because it will work in the woods just fine.

Now… please help me find gaskets for a 371 2 valve model 3055c…it used to be $100 a hole to reline these, but I have not bought gaskets in years.

14 Likes

I set out to buy a gasket kit. I ended up with all the man had. Apparently, I am the only one who ever even asked about Detroit Diesel parts at his shop in a decade.
I have three 371s, two of which are from Allis Chalmers HD7s. There is also a 671, 8V71, 453, and 353 around here. It’s interesting how things flow towards you when you are interested in them.

15 Likes

I had an HD7 years ago. I always loved the sound of that engine.

8 Likes

It’s an old video but it is a 371

11 Likes