Life goes on - Winter 2019

This virios sounds a lot like Y2k, after the primarys the whole pandemic thing will fizel out. ??

Italy, Spain and France haven’t gone into lockdown to influence the US election cycle.

Those are countries with good organization and sound public health systems. The virus doesn’t care about politics or borders, juzt how many people it can pass to, and how quickly.

3 Likes

Well thats the true, though what makes this a pandemic, when the regular flu kills 40 too 60.000 every year just here in usa.

I think one of the things that is missed when there are comparisons made between covid and flu is the hospitalization rate. As we saw in China, the mortality rate is not very high if people are getting treatment. This is what explains the 0.9% mortality in the country as a whole vs something like 4% in wuhan where the hospitals were slammed. The chinese built whole new hospitals in like 10 days - thats how serious they were about providing treatment.

With the flu, looking at the CDC numbers, looks like 1.5-2% max of cases wind up needing to go to the hospital. Numbers for covid hospitalizations are all over the place, but I have seen numbers ranging from 5-50% with 10-20% seeming like they are thrown out more often. So it really is a numbers thing. More people are getting more seriously sick. If they dont get treated, they die. In order to keep the mortality rate down, we need to keep people out of the hospitals.

2 Likes

Regular flu death rate 0.1%
CV19 WHO best data death rate 3.6%
Or 36x more deadly that the regular flu.
Best guess is because there is no natrual immunity to this virus 70% of the population will be infected. No where near that rate get the normal flu because alot of people are immune from past flu seasons.

2 Likes

Yes thats for sure, last i heard they were useing hiv aids,& Hep c meds too treat them.That dont sound right too me, unless those meds are just a form of amune system booster, ?

I gess most or many will get and then have too hope our amune system is working good, Thanks.

Sadly, at this point, a lot of people are going to get sick. I think it is fair to assign blame to those in charge of guarding public health when they screw up. I think the CDC really dropped the ball with their test kits. We let this thing break out by being lax on early detection. And we totally knew this was coming. It has happened before, and will happen again. Thankfully it is not something like MERS, with like 30% mortality. Someday though, it could be, and we should look at countries like Thailand, Taiwan, and I am sure many others, which give a great example of what should have happened. They had cases early on and they immediately rolled out testing, did contact tracing and aggressively tracked all new cases to put them in quarantine. They had the lessons learned from the SARS outbreak back in 2003 to guide them, and it seems to have worked really well.

I hope that this pandemic will be a wake-up call, but I am not so sure. Public health should be something that has bipartisan support, but like everything else it has turned into a bitter fight. I will probably sign off there before this goes too far into the weeds :grinning:

3 Likes

Kevin the best thing we can do is slow down the spreed by closing down public schools and events. We need to limit the rush on our healthcare system so it isn’t overwhelmed. Once we overwhelm the healthcare system there will be no ICU beds left for the normal daily need people who get in a car accident for example. That is the issue in Europe as we speak they closed down countries because the hospitals are unable to take all the people in need of care regardless of the need.
The hospital near me has a total of 23 beds it is the only hospital in a 100 mile radius. Granted I am in a remote area but that is a very bad bed to population ratio. The reality is this hospital is little more than a place to set broken bones for the ski areas. We end up air lifting or ambulance travel to the major cities hours away for most issues.

3 Likes

Bare shelves, panic, and rationing- dry run for Bernie Sanders presidency.:smirk:

Nice way to get @Chris to shutdown the discussion.

2 Likes

We will find out today after primarys if burnie picked up enough votes too play against trump.Like they are saying though this world covid 19 is out of season in some countrys and still showing up in more countrys. with a much higher mortality rate than the normal flu.Depending on all sorts of variables,and the mutation status.I even heard as high as 15 % death rate in some areas.

1 Like

I think you will find this was the death rate in the most vulnerable population. Which is elderly with pre existing conditions. Ofcourse I have no idea how you get to be elderly and not have pre existing conditions…

1 Like

I Agree and were all getting closer too our eturnal home.PEICE ON EARTH.And the end of this swamp creacher world.Over and out, i gotta go fix a washer too resale.I bet the filter mask helped a lot in china keeping the virious spread down.

1 Like

It does. I had to wear one last year when chemo wiped out my immune system and I ended up in one of those hospital beds. Anytime out shopping I was wearing it. Nice thing was that people would avoid me. The problem is that there are not enough to go around so it is MUCH MORE effective if sick people wear them.

Hey - life isn’t a fairy tail walk in the park. One day things are fine and the next day your world is turned upside down. I lived it. If I can roll with the punches, anybody can. That’s life, sorry. Too be in WWII would be way worse. We knew this stuff was coming and it will just keep getting worse. The ones that can adapt will be doing and move on. Tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, bugs and what ever.

5 Likes

I hate to be the one to change the subject, but here is one of my tractor projects:

9 Likes

What type of tractor? I have too many tractor projects that seem to never get done.

4 Likes

Thank you Jeff, We could spend everyday trying to predict how everything is going to play out. Let’s leave that to the other social media platforms and keep this one to wood gas and our wood gas families, please.

7 Likes

Agreed. Let’s keep a lid on the politics. Everyone is at risk regardless of politics. Try to stay positive.

Why not use the forced downtime to make some progress on a woodgas project?

Also, thread is closed - not for stray discussion, but because spring is coming! See you on the other side…

6 Likes