Life goes on - Winter 2019

Invest in lots of sand? I actually would have thought those metal cross bars would have been sharp enough to bite in. I haven’t worked with tracks but around here we use 4wd and Canadian ring chains.
https://canadianchainsusa.com/Gallery/Category/1325/
Maybe you could weld on some angle iron spikes based on the first photo in that link? Those chains will climb through anything including pavement…

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&biw=600&bih=1024&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNQAED6JiViNSJ3C1Rtp5NEzRXSC7Q%3A1573160766293&sa=1&q=podkve+štole&oq=podkve+štole&aqs=mobile-gws-lite…#imgrc=Y00zO4nUSzSTlM%3A

Dont know the English term, they are studs with a tungsten carbide tip. We use those on horse shoes to prevent them sliping on wet tarmac. They are cheap, and easy to install. You just drill a hole in the metal and press them in. If you install 2 on each bar it wuld increse traction conciderably.

5 Likes

All metal tracks are fun in the winter.

They will even slide off a wet trailer when loading or unloading. Studs will help some. Rubber tracks work much better in the winter time. Maybe fill in with cut up old tires. Maybe wood.

Maybe try spray foam as an experiment to fill the space where the ice is. But still metal track.

4 Likes

It is hardened material in the U-profiles, and quite thin, so I do not know how to weld in.
After all, the profiles are turned with the sharp edge down, so inserting the stud does not work.
Filling them with foam, would be worth a try, should keep away most of the ice.
There are rubber bands on the military machines, cost some, but is rubber better in ice and snow?

1 Like

How about just replacing some of the existing bolts with longer ones? That would give you some studs.

2 Likes

Sorry, l thod it was the other way around! I looked again and saw the ice acumulates in the U profile.

Culd you just insert something in the profile?

Hello JanA.
It appears to be U-channel metal on the face of the track with durt/mud built up inside of the channel? Yes?

You need to have ice built-up up breaking flexibility with ice digging metal studs
I see you cannot segment cut these channels without losing rubber track across stiffness.
Maybe . . . clean out the mud. Cut individual higher than the channel walls rubber block fillers. As many per-channel as you have fastener bolts. With these flex blocks individually through bolted on. With winter studs like Kristijan suggested inserted onto each block.
Cursed lot of work to have to do.
Why here with rubber tires most use over-wrap seasonal installed ice-breaker chains solutions.
And metals plate linked tracks are mostly self cleaning with plate to plate movements. Mostly.
Far-North metal tracks can get ice-use specialized too.
Regards - be watching your solution with interest.
Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Your track problem might go away with more snow. So no major change right now. Try later and observe.

2 Likes

His real name was Erik Fernström (1943-2018). He was one of our most publicly loved performers for 50+ years. World famous to 8 million Swedes. Sadly he passed away last year in cancer.
In the early days The Beatles were actually his opening act at one of his gigs :smile: Rock’n roll covers was his thing.
Wife and I owned a German Sheppard in the 90s. We met Erik at a dog show once. Besides music, his main interests were German sheppards and motorcycles.
(Out of you guy’s comfort zone, but he was also a devoted communist all his life :smile: )
1st video is how I remember him.
2nd video is probably one of his last gigs.

5 Likes

JO, I don’t know who you were telling that was Erik Fernstrom, but because I have liked other music coming out of Sweden, I listened. It peaked my interest, so I found more on YT. He sounds a lot like, and is singing songs that were hits over here by country western singer Jerry Lee Lewis. The background music is exactly the same— the songs he sang in Swedish were no quite as obvious songs were the same. Good music, both ways. TomC

5 Likes

Just a literary device, and you took the bate :smile:

3 Likes

@Jan, these are considered ice chains in North America.

And check these out.

https://montanatrackclaws.com/

5 Likes

Putting some stored solar energy to good use.
One of the benefits of living in the middle of 80 acres of trees is, we’ll always stay warm in northern Minnesota.

9 Likes

The changing sights and sounds of going cooler winter season.
Neighbors air-sourced heat pumps running at 80% duty cycle in 40F times. Neighbors air-sourced heat pumps rattle hammering away in 32-36F times. Need to have their heater kick-on set points bumped up a tad.

Strong 60 days into needing heat season and the households with 100 gallon propane tanks are having to be service truck refilled.
'Nother 15-20 days and the 150 gallon home propane tanks will be on refill cycling too.
3-4 times (maybe even a 5th time ) refilled on these seasonally annually.
Safety code and lot size determines just how big of tank they can have.
Takes a half an acre and larger to have a 250/500 gallon propane tank for safety distance stand off here.

Hardware buying at the regional big AG store and folks were lining up for pick up truck loads of ton quantities of heating pellets.

Me? My “hardware” buying was the third now wheel barrow new-wheel assembly. The solid filled one and the better-idea(NOT) stiff/thick travel trailer tired ones were getting soft grounds stuck on me. Had to switch back to the actual soft inflated balloon tire types on three of the four wood toting wheel barrows I am using.
“A wheel barrow a day keeps Mr Frost at bay”
Actually I can sometimes make a single ~7.5 cubic foot wheel barrow of this cut in place fence line clean up brush and limb wood last 2-3 days.
How many so far? I stopped counting back at 10+.
Recon maybe 18-20 wheel barrows in the last 60 days.
Pretty good for what was once burn pile clean up waste-away wood fuels.

Regards
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

@Jeff these are considered ice chains in the Nordic countries :smile:

13 Likes

The nearest ice i could find

https://www.google.com/search?q=7/11+ice&rlz=1C5CHFA_enTH820TH820&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS9cWrteflAhXEQI8KHcq6D6MQ_AUIEigB&biw=1467&bih=737

Oh yeah, have some icecube’s in my fridge too

5 Likes

On these colder days I find my ice in the house also :grinning:

6 Likes

Dad said that this colder weather is making him worry that our rattlesnake population will diminish.

5 Likes

:rofl: I would be hoping for that outcome…

6 Likes

We like them much better than snow. They sure taste better and a lot easier to deal with.

6 Likes