Life goes on - Winter 2020

Happy New Year!
All is good here. The sun is shining, charging batteries!
This winter, our entire heating wood supply was cut with a modified sine wave inverter powering a e316 husqvarna, and a remington 1650. The gas saw hurts my hands too much, and I was afraid of letting the boy use it.
The main beef with electric saws is that the manufacturers don’t take them very seriously. When I find a good brand now, I buy as many as I can. We are cannibalizing the Remingtons, because they don’t sell them locally any more. We MAKE parts for the e316, because the Husqvarna dealer doesn’t sell electric saws anymore.
I see 2021 as an amazing new year with plenty of opportunities!

6 Likes

Happy New Year everyone.
God is good all the time and all the time God is good.
His blessings to all.

4 Likes

AMEN, to what Steve said. Happy New Year to you all, I hope you all receive many Blessings this year in Yeshua Name.
Bob

3 Likes

An infestation of Foam-o-vores!

3 Likes

Guys whats with chickens and styrophoam anyway? They seem to like it more thain grain!

3 Likes

Foil coated doesn’t appear to make any difference to them either. :thinking:

1 Like

So far no humming and no electronics in there to blow. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and keep using until there is a problem. Maybe being a tiny motor helps.

1 Like

Hello Bruce Jackson .

I don’t want to hijack Joni’s topic so I will answer here.

I had a lot of rebar in 4 foot lengths and some thick plastic pipe .

Drive the rebar in the ground and slip the pipe over it. Two people can put an electric fence up about as fast as you can walk.

Edit . The plastic pipe had been in a coil.

2 Likes

Hello Tom C

I am afraid I would go to sleep watching that idle video so I skip through it about ever 5 min . If you will watch a video of grass growing first the idle video would not be so bad . :lying_face:

2 Likes

Just an update so you can see what the country is like around here. What I call gently rolling. The elevator is around 100 foot tall for reference.

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom

You just caused me to holler at wife to throw another log on the fire :smiley:

4 Likes

Mr. Wayne
The neighbors across the road were out with the kids and making memories of playing in the snow and driving 4 wheelers with Black lab pups chasing them as they were being dragged on sleds with a fire close by to warm by. Brought back memories of my own from 4-5 decades ago. Overall it was a good day hoar frost and fog this morning breaking into full sunshine this afternoon temp around freezing. I’m sure you have memories of your own regarding your climate when Mom couldn’t tolerate it anymore and kicked you and brothers/sisters/cousins outside to figure it out for yourselves. But she probably didn’t have to dress you for the cold and then have you say you needed to pee :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

As kids we were always put onto the toilet seat one after the other listening to the sink tap dribble. That helped us squeeze the last drops out before being dressed and sent out as Michelin midgets :smile:

10 Likes

Some kind of cross post business
This new paper looks very important.to most everyone on this list - at least in a small way.

Johannes Lehmann is last author.

It is non-fee.

There is the perception that carbon can be stored by pumping it underground . Billions have been spent and we know this is not possible with out drawing oil out of that same hole . We are still being dragged down a path where this is possible . That path does not exist . We need to find a path that does exist .
https://palaterra.eu/More-Informations-Palaterra
Time , Time , Time
The manure spreaders drive by .
Time , Time Time
The hay bales drive back
To make a soil that has better fertility and captures carbon is just a little more effort to do such . Or ever knowing you were trying to do such .
NovoCarbo produces valuable carbon sinks as a method of CO2 compensation Verified and financed by carbon credits on the block chain trading platform Carbonfuture Dörth, 1. December 2020: NovoCarbo GmbH, Europe’s leading manufacturer and supplier of premium biochar has successfully met the requirements for launching its carbon sinks on a trading platform. In a first step, NovoCarbo GmbH was certified EBC-Sink. EBC is the highest national and international standard for biochar producers and plant constructors. The sink certificate certifies the sink potential of the production process. Certificates are now traded on the international trading platform Carbonfuture. Being accepted to Carbonfuture stresses NovoCarbo’s significance as an important driver of climate change and underlines the company’s special role as a finalist in this year’s German Sustainability Award (DNP).

https://www.novocarbo.com/en/home-2/

When used in the barn, the first stage of the use of biochar begins. With the addition of NovoAnimalCare, the biochar inevitably reaches the field via the manure. Since the biochar is already loaded with nutrients, it can immediately show its full effect when applied to the soil. Because they are bound to the biochar, nitrates are not washed out and water is infiltrated.

NovoAnimalCare promotes digestion, improves feed efficiency and energy adsorption through food. Toxins are bound by the biochar and have no negative influence on the digestive system and the intestinal flora. The health, activity and comfort of the animals are also improved. The risk of infection decreases as the immune system is reinforced.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19792-9

The study, “Organo-organic and Organo-mineral Interfaces in Soil at the Nanometer Scale,” was published Nov. 30 in Nature Communications.

At that resolution, the researchers showed—for the first time—that soil carbon interacts with both minerals and other forms of carbon from organic materials, such as bacterial cell walls and microbial byproducts. Previous imaging research had only pointed to layered interactions between carbon and minerals in soils.

“If there is an overlooked mechanism that can help us retain more carbon in soils, then that will help our climate,” said senior author Johannes Lehmann, the Liberty Hyde Bailey Professor in the School of Integrative Plant Science, Soil and Crop Sciences Section, in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Angela Possinger Ph.D. '19, who was a graduate student in Lehmann’s lab and is currently a postdoctoral researcher at Virginia Tech University, is the paper’s first author.

Since the resolution of the new technique is near atomic scale, the researchers are not certain what compounds they are looking at, but they suspect the carbon found in soils is likely from metabolites produced by soil microbes and from microbial cell walls. “In all likelihood, this is a microbial graveyard,” Lehmann said.

Not 2020 anymore, but we need to spend less time looking at government and corporate plans for things like carbon sequestration and shift our focus to what the individual can do. This means shifting food production away from round-up ready mega farms to much smaller producers and many more individual garden type set ups. I have heard all about how without the huge mechanized factory farms we could not feed the population. Our Eastern European friends can correct me if this is wrong, but my research said that at the fall of the Soviet Union and the co-operatives it was necessary for a large part of the people to focus on growing their own food in small plots and truck farms. Within a few years 60 per cent of the food in the markets was derived from these sources. I still watch video where this seems the norm in many places. This is how we should be shifting out attentions to creating healthy soil and eco-environments. Not some plan that a professor or bureaucrat decides is superior.

3 Likes

Tom I am all for individual actions. I raise all my own food I can and harvest my own wood for heating. But the reality is we can’t solve a society wide problem with individual actions alone. If we could the hippies would have ended the ff industry and agro business in the 60s and 70s. It took government regulations to design the modern ff and electric grid dependent society we have and it will take government regulations to transition away from that energy base for our society. The good news is that the ecominic calculation is already tipped in favor of renewable energy. The bad news is that the ff industry has their fingers deep in the government’s pockets on a global scale so they are able to fight the ecominic forces of the free market. Things like the Canadian government taking over the trans Canada pipeline which wasn’t profitable for the oil companies to finish.
But I digress too far into politics. I simply wanted to make the point that individual actions are great we all need to continue with them but we also need to push governments to push society in the direction we want it to go if we want society wide changes.

2 Likes

The other problem is that most people would look down at food production. So, not enough modern people willing to do the job.

3 Likes

On a different note I tried my hand at building my first real furniture this year for Christmas. The fish tank is a gift for my mother who is elderly and has bad arthritis so she doesn’t get around much but has enjoyed watching my chickens outside all summer and will now get to watch fish inside.
Those rough cut cherry boards where in the barn for something like 30 years because my late uncle never got around to squaring them up for lumber.

That simple jig for the table saw works amazing.

6 Likes

So true. I tried to get my aunt to grow a food forest in her suburban home and she was very condensing. I was actually surprised by her response and saddened.

2 Likes

I try not to get too involved with politic Dan because they powers that be regardless of the party posturing are entirely corrupted and these minions that they allow you the choice to vote for are all working toward their ends. Population control is the main objective. Control the food and you control the people. No end to the communities that will not allow you to plant food on your suburban lot rather than grass. For many years in Michigan the republican run legislature has regulated against small individual farmers and growers and for the large corporate food interests. If things continue down the current path you will not be allowed to burn wood for heat or produce wood gas. Mega wind farms and massive PV farms are not any more renewable than NG or even oil. They all require massive amounts of non-recyclable material and any components that are recyclable are still trashed because they are more expensive to recycle than trash. Not in every case but more than people are led to believe. I am basically a parasitic bug on this earth. I take way more than I return. The one little thing I can do is maintain a small patch of land.

2 Likes