Life goes on - Winter 2022

Cody, the caisson is fixed to the chassis, it is not hydraulically tiltable. Well, the dimensions of the caisson are 3x1.6 m and the load capacity is 1.6 tons. When the time comes, I plan to build a compact wood fumigation unit that can be easily removed with a forklift and installed right behind the cabin. the gasifier, cooler and filter will be in the style of the one I have on the tractor, maybe with minor changes, which I will first test with the system on the lawnmower,… otherwise there is no time for all these ideas, but hope dies last :grinning:

15 Likes

I think I’ll have that engraved on my tombstone, :grin:

9 Likes

I wondered about a charcoal system on those trucks just to keep it compact and keep some cargo space. I do love those trucks so functional. I am amazed by the load rating.

5 Likes

This guy has some video’s of his Kei. He builds some pretty interesting stuff.

8 Likes

I’ve done some work, installing a new (old) woodstove in the house, the old one was ugly and ineffective, more to give that cozy fireplace feeling, and send the heat out the chimney for the crows.
This is a old Norwegian made Jotul, cast iron, i’ve repainted it black, satin finish, looks a lot better than the 1970s coloring"disgusting green"
Built the stove-pipes, the vertical one has a smaller, 3inch air pipe inside, for heat recycling.

First fire-up today.

15 Likes

Those were very popular here in the 1970’s or at least that’s when I saw quite a few in use. We rented a farmhouse while I was building the house we are in. It had a Lopi wood stove. That thing put out more heat than any other stove I’ve ever used.

9 Likes

Winter is definitely here. We’ll be down to single digits this week. It looks to get close to 0⁰F (-18⁰C) Friday.

13 Likes

Thanks for the warning Bill, I will have to put my coat on when I hear your next report of 0 degrees.
It is only 35 degrees here outside. 07:30 pm in the back yard making charcoal in the firerin, with my wifie. This is her favorite thing about DOW. Make more charcoal.
Bob

10 Likes

Over the weekend the southern boys sent a tropical storm up the east coat we where 65F and rain including in the over night. Then last night the Canadians blew down their artic cold front the wind started about 8pm it is now 31F and will be 14F by night fall. Winter is literally blowing in overnight in NH.

9 Likes

Yeah it’s finally getting nippy out. I hope it stays that way.

4 Likes

Two young boys walked into a pharmacy one day, picked out a box of tampons and proceeded to the checkout counter.
The pharmacist at the counter asked the older boy, "Son, how old are you?’
‘Eight’, the boy replied.
The man continued, ‘Do you know what these are used for?’
The boy replied, “Not exactly, but they aren’t for me. They’re for him. He’s my brother. He’s four.”
“Oh, really?” the pharmacist replied with a grin.
“Yes.” the boy said. “We saw on TV that if you use these, you would be able to swim, play tennis and ride a bike. Right now, he can’t do none of those.”

17 Likes

Brought the Dexters home today

19 Likes

And sometimes even far off Australia makes the international energy news:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/solar-and-wind-power-shutdown-forcast-as-sa-remains-cut-off-from-national-electricty-grid/

Ohh, well. That did not work. Just do a general internet search for, “South Australia Power Grid problems”
I was trying to link to a recent USA, ABC weather news article.
My Belgium brother-in-law had related to me that there they were having problems balancing home roof-top PV generation versus daily loads demands in his country. This was ~8 years ago. Read the S.Aus article and see they are out of necessity now have the legal authority to cut off rotating areas housetop PV inputs into their Grid.
S.U.

3 Likes

This article?

Looks like a pylon got knocked down, might take months they say. Solar and other “renewable energy” will need to be switched off to prevent back feeding I guess.

3 Likes

Tell ya what guys.

I don’t think Im gonna have any dental work done without being put under.

Was like an alien abduction, they hit he with the juice and I woke up in a wheelchair packed full of cotton in my mouth.

It’s great, I don’t remember a thing.

11 Likes

“I do not recall” is not going to help when you get the bill.

4 Likes

Glad your doing ok. When do you get the knee worked on

1 Like

My knee? I don’t have any problems with my knee, I hyperextended it back in 2013 but it only gives me trouble every once in a while.

We’ve already got it paid off, with insurance it cost me 1654 dollars.

2 Likes

That is probably true. But IIRC some of the more rural areas, the power racially segregates and of poor quality to begin with. Off the top of my head the utility is run by the government.

Some of the reported damage was bad, but I’m not 100% convinced that it is all technical problem.

1 Like