Lookee what followed me home today

Scored these six propane tanks today, five P19 (40pounds) and one rare P17 (35pounds).
The P17 has a smaller diameter about the same as a P11 (25pounds), only higher.
Just saving for future builds, a couple of the tanks are for a good friend of mine (a friend of all of you too, you all know who it is :wink:) :smiley:

16 Likes

That’s perfect Johan! Thank you! I’m glad it seems they are painted - not galvanized.

9 Likes

All painted, only difference is if you would like a handle on top or not.

10 Likes

1980 6.5K propane generator (1800 RPM) with automatic battery charger/transfer switch. Only 800 hours on the meter. It took 2 hours to remove it from a weather-tight garage. All for $100. I plan to power it with the downdraft charcoal gasifier on my simplicity Baron tractor. The wheels are my temporary rig for rolling it out of the garage and into my truck bed.

20 Likes

I found this old motorized dump cart in my junk pile. Nice fit.

15 Likes

That’s a Great find for the price Bruce and 1800 rpm as well so least it wont be screaming its head off at you , love the cart as well .
Dave

10 Likes

Been looking for one of these for a long time
 Another piece of the off-grid/ homestead puzzle.

25KW PTO generator. This one is four poles, therefore 1800rpm at the generator. Still 540 PTO of course. The slower gen head speed should lead to less noise, more stable frequency, and longevity of bearings etc.

US made by Kato-Light back in the 60s/70s.

I’ve wanted one of these ever since I saw Ron Lemler run one off of his woodgas tractor. Seems like a perfect flexible solution to use whatever power source you happen to have around, woodgas or otherwise. It will do some light duty as a portable welding power supply, and recharging of our off-grid battery bank during cloudy weather. Doubt I will ever put it to the full 25 kilowatt capacity.

19 Likes

Chris that is a pretty big pto generator. I have a 15kw and it is rated for a 35hp tractor IIRC the 15kw is a good load for my Pasquali. I would suggest you use a 50hp tractor on that 25kw generator. You don’t want the engine speed to drop during heavy loads. The nice thing about a pto generator is you simply set the throttle based on the generator voltage and have a perfect match. It will also tell you what engine speed on your old tractor is really the correct pto speed. The tac on old tractors might not be too accurate. My favorite was an old tractor a friend bought. It had a alternator based tac. I scratched my head because the orginal tractor had a generator not an alternator. Couldn’t convince my friend the tac was off until he ran a generator on it and couldn’t get the right voltage. The drive pully for the alternator wasn’t the correct gearing the way it was adapted to the old tractor.
You can definitely run those pto generators on undersized tractors if you let them spin up without a load on them and then don’t load them heavy. Just figured I would pass along how my 15kw runs on my 30hp tractor.

13 Likes

The guy who had it was running it off of a little 20 horse John Deere tractor, and it spun up just fine and ran the lights in his shop. I think these things mostly care about the max, not the minimum. I have a 45 hp Massey Ferguson here, and a little bit bigger Ford tractor as well, both waiting repairs. But I just can’t see needing 25 kilowatts all at once! My whole house runs on around 600 - 700 watts

13 Likes

Very nice! We recently bought a 2 kW laser cutter with air compressor 15kW and when charging the car the 3 phase 50 A blew. That is 35 kW!!! and we are short. Mmm, peakshaving next level.

Here is my streetfind. The neighbour put this beside the road. Reconnected a bowden cable and put a little locktide on it. Ran fine today. I dont have a driverslicence and didnt drink (yet). Maybe the knives need some sharpening.

Nice Stiga hydrostat. Neighbour is racing around on a John Deere now

10 Likes

Great Find, Joep!! Neighbor is going to want it back soon. :cowboy_hat_face:
Really nice purchase on the PTO Generator, Chris! A very good investment, at any reasonable price! :smiley:

10 Likes

Indeed, I didnt dare to go out with it. Picked it up a few weeks ago. Grass is to tall now

8 Likes

Good Design!

3 Likes

I’m glad you choose a Swedish brand, Joep :grin:

6 Likes

Yes, it is my second one. First one with hydrostatic, I like it and it turns real sharp.

5 Likes

I’d ride that over a Zero Turn any day.

I never got used to zero turn mowers, I like my good old tractor style riding mower.

6 Likes

Zero turns are great until you have ditches to mow. Riding mowers don’t have enough clearance sometimes to do them well either because they don’t have a lot of clearance. And hydrostatic is far better then belts for a drivetrain.

Whoever was the braindead person that convinced my mom to get a lawn tractor instead of a lawn and garden tractor should be shot for taking advantage of an elderly person or they themselves are stupid and braindead as well. (sorry I had to vent)

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting one of these for a while.

Made for a flat belt which I don’t have.

I tack welded a v-belt pulley on the end of the flat belt pulley and “borrowed” the engine from my log splitter.

Nothing is done but I wasn’t even sure 6.5 HP was going to be enough. I quickly sharpened the blade with an angle grinder and had to free up the tilting table. The guard is rusted away in places so it will need some repairs but it did cut some small slabs. Looks dangerous (and could be) but so is a chainsaw. This seems like it will be a lot easier than cutting up the slabs with a chainsaw.

This test was done using gasoline but this engine has been run on charcoal gas before. I barely had the engine above an idle to make these first cuts so I’m sure I could run this on fuel made from the same wood.

19 Likes

Nice old buzz-saw you got there Brian.
A tip: try to get the blade grinded smooth on the sides, this will save some power, even if the teeths are set correctly, or a little wider.
6,5 hp would be good for a saw that size, often recomended is a ic engine should have twice the power than recomended electric, but that is a little overkill.
Try to not run a old blade this size faster than 2000 rpm, “free wobble” is scary. :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

You may find some of Giorgio’s work applicable:

16 Likes