New project! Normans next gassifier truck

https://youtu.be/vOc0CRPLpJM

14 Likes

Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

I know it’ll be a real runner.

Might wanna get/build one of those tailgate bed extender cages for more wood capacity. I’m sure with the reactor in there it’ll go from a long bed to a 6ft bed at least.

8 Likes

It won’t need extra space, it’s in the plans in my head. @JocundJake gave me some great ideas on his truck

8 Likes

Sounds like a extended frame gasifier in front of the 8’ bed. That would be so cool.
Bob

6 Likes

A gasified V-10 Dodge Ram sounds like a mans toy for sure !

Have Wood Will Travel

5 Likes

Man’s toy/ toy hauler :wink:

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/NZDWrC3t4ao

getting the V10 back to life, ran rough at first on the old gas but once the computer relearned the fuel map it is running much better

9 Likes

Good job on figuring the wiring out. Yup it looks like you found a good V-10 with a little TLC it will be breathing woodgas with a gasifier in the back bed.
Bob

5 Likes

Wires. The things nightmares are made from. Get rid of all the electronics and what does a truck really need to run. Something like six wires not counting lights.

6 Likes

Hey Marcus what is that brand of connectors you are using?
After years of sometimes failures later I evolved to a technique similar.
Stripped wire ends by-passed overlapped in a single sleeve of a bare barrel terminal. Then “W” crimped and covered in a sleeve of heat shrink.
Never fails. Even with circuit overloading heats. Never corrodes. Never pulls loose.

Your connectors you used do this easier.

Hey TomH. I was more than anything an automotive electrician.
Wires and circuits were my rice-bowl.
Words to a writer. Welding fillers to a welder. Nails and staples to a carpenter.

Electronics? Yeah. Can be a PITA, alright. Just treat the components as needing inputs to produce Outputs. You verify the Inputs . . . then no, or wrong outputs? Then fire that components’/modules’ ass. Just like any other worker who can’t or won’t work given the job.
Too often happening then curse the designer/manufacturer and swear you will bad mouth them to all who can hear.
Samsung consumer appliances!!! Features laden fancies that break and do not last.
Versus Panasonic and Sharp giving decades of services.
Steve Unruh.

6 Likes

That is exactly what I did until I found these last year! These ones are made by camtek
200PCS Red Solder Seal Wire Connectors 22-18 AWG, Camtek Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Terminals Electrical Wire Connectors Insulated Waterproof Marine Automotive Copper Connectors Kits https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2G71C2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_SCMDNS9WM9JNF0VQYJ0P I have also used this brand with good luck, the heat shrink is shorter on each end but they work the same.
Kuject 200PCS Solder Seal Wire Connector Kit, Solder Seal Butt Terminal Waterproof Insulated Electrical Butt Terminals Wire Splice for Automotive Marine Boat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083LZS69N/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_VDW5EBKG6RQ5EVWZ7KEP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The local marine store turned me on to these when I was rewiring my boat trailer

8 Likes

These things are awesome. GM has started providing these in certain kits requiring splicing especially for things that need better consistency eg computer wiring.
I need to buy a bucket of them and start using them.

6 Likes

What I like about them is the ends have basically hot glue to waterproof it.

6 Likes

I have only had them fail once and that was a shorted out sterling heater switch. Come to find out there was a tsb for a updated heavier harness, so I don’t think it was the fault of the connector

5 Likes

Splicing wires? I usually can’t figure out how to get the connectors apart. Anyway, you guys that are good at it and like it have my due admiration. As for me, I’d rather have weasels rip my flesh.

5 Likes

Well it has been a little over a year and you are already a WK Gasifier builder and starting on your V-10 build. A great seasoned daily driver knowing some of the other 75% of wood Gasification. Congratulations Marcus on you achievements. You making a mark for DOW in Washington State.
Bob

8 Likes

Need to make some room in the shop, V10 build has some large components to be built. Still designing but have some small pieces I’m working on that anyone can use for a later V10 build later down the road

7 Likes

Don’t forget to video a little bit of the pieces you build you might have a much better way to build it. Every build it seems we find easier and better ways to build. I am about 90% dug out of the snowpack and ice around my projects and work area out side. Thank God Almighty for these pass few days in the high 40’s and 50’s to melt the ice and snowpack down. Hope to be working on my projects next week if it stays nice like this.
Bob

5 Likes

I’m planning to video the whole build :+1:

8 Likes

Thank you. You are the Washington State DOW Video Man.
Bob

5 Likes