New project! Normans next gassifier truck

https://youtu.be/sv0luFIH1Ug

https://youtu.be/aBHETt-Hi0U

10 Likes

Hey hey hey, hold up Scorsese, you got all Hollywood on us with the nice fade transitions and good camera angles!

4 Likes

picked up a tripod for my phone, 20$ on amazon made for a lot easier videoing!!

4 Likes

Heard my name while you were bragging about your weld job :laughing: You are the man, man. Nice video. Keep emā€™ coming.

8 Likes

Very nice video instructions. Needs to be added to the V-10 building library.
Bob

7 Likes

What do you guys think about the built in puffer lid?

2 Likes

Vacuum follows puffback so the springs should work fine. I like your idea of working on this part of the build while the fenders are off. When you get my age you always look for the easiest way to do things.

9 Likes

You are so right there Don.
When you go looking for a V-10, look for one that need new fenders. You will get the truck for better price too. I notice @Wayne driver side fender was replaced. Humm.
Bob

3 Likes

If I build another truck Iā€™m going to make it so the front end tilts up. One more thing I have to try before I run out of time. The worst thing about my Dodge Ram is that the back of the engine is tucked into the firewall. No cure for that.

8 Likes

Thanks much for the videos . Great job and keep them coming.

BBB

6 Likes

Ha! Ha! So true about rear of V-engine ignition distributor access in the full sized Dodge Ram bodies.
I had to tool box dig down to a wire wound flexi-shaft extension to get to the distributor caps screws.
Ha! Replacing by end of fingers blind the spark plug wires into the cap was always a challenge.

The full sized Dodge chassis solution is to use the V-10!!
Aintā€™ got no under the firewall cowl ignition distributor. Distributor-less.
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

I always figured that the engineers that designed an engine with the distributor in front were probably a much nicer breed and probably didnā€™t beat their kids as much either.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s the one thing Iā€™ll give Ford and Mazda. Distributor is just right there.

350sbc swapping into the B2000 trucks thatā€™s the biggest hurdle is changing the firewall to make room for the cap. Iā€™d like to cram a Ford I6 into the Mazda, maybe if im lucky the transmission will mate up to it and all Iā€™ll need to do is extend the radiator support.

2 Likes

Anyone who design a distributor up front on a engine must have been smarter all around.
I love my 1976 Dodge 440 in my Motor home. Talk about horsepower going up hills.
8 miles to a gallon of fuel. Ouch. I would still like to design a hybrid gasifer for it. Starts and idles on gasoline. Drives on wood gas up to 35 to 40 miles per hour then it runs on hybrid fuels. A using one accelerator pedal.
Bob

7 Likes

It could be done with a two or four barrel carb like the Mother Earth News guys did. Use the main barrel for woodgas, plug up the other jets in the primary besides idle circuit, the secondary barrel(s) will be protected by the butterfly.

2 Likes

Front distributors are nice, for swaps I have never been scared to use a hammer and make some room

Hereā€™s a kick to the nuts for that statement. First gen Ford rangers(MAZDA MOTOR), 2.9 v6 efi worst. DISTRIBUTOR. EVER
FAR WORSE THEN THE SECOND GEN V8 DODGE. Not only brail to change wires, specialized tools for cap removal done blind. Either lift cab or remove engine mounts and lower the motor to remove distributor body. Still have the tool, get a shitty look on my face every time I see it in the bottom drawer of the tool box. The reason I know this is that motor was so prone to headgasket failure and cracking the cast heads and I maintained a fleet of them for a local telephone company. Told myself never again will I mess with that junk engineering

6 Likes

Is the 2.9 the Vulcan or was that before the Vulcan was put in the Mazda/Rangers in the 90s?

I was happy to find out that Mazda sold the 2.0/2.2L i4 to Kia, you can find tons of them in the old Sportage cars.

A coworker of mine swapped a Buick V6 into his S10. Canā€™t remember which series but it was the 3 liter family for sure. Iā€™ve been thinking of the logistics to put a transverse schemed engine in a regular schemed vehicle. Those Buick engines are annoying to work with for the coolant system I bet the rad hoses are a mile long now.

3 Likes

I was told you can flip the heads to make the 3.8 work in an S-10. Never tried it so I dont know how true that is.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Man I canā€™t wait to NOT being doing this in the new truck

11 Likes