Newer Donor Vehicles

Maybe 2005 and up they had a 5.3l flex fuel which also may have a metal intake. But they didn’t offer it pre-2005. In 09 they had a 6.2, but i think that is the next series.

3 Likes

If people have time and are shopping around. I would possibly be interested in a 2003-2007 probably a 1500 truck .

I’m with Chris I would like to try the 6.0 but a good enough deal on a 5.3 probably would work.

I am looking for something probably under $5k and with under 160k miles on it. The only other thing is I need it to be 4 door.

I am looking for a vehicle right now. The transmission in my old mini van is slipping so it is going to need to be replaced. I need a vehicle that is in good enough shape for road trips. I might not get to the gasifier right away but if I have the vehicle I’m one step closer. And I can use the truck to replace my van for the time being.

9 Likes

Also probably worth mentioning it is going to have to be a really good deal to drive a long way to get it so southeast is where I’m looking.

8 Likes

Just an idea and I’m sure there’s cheaper options than this, but since splicing and tapping wires for existing O2 Sensors can lead to issues down the road, I found this direct OBD2 Serial port gauge. Also nice that if you wanted to hop around to different vehicles it’s all self contained.
It actually can display a few different values from the computer like spark advance, AFR, etc.
https://a.co/d/5pf4y45

Edit: This gauge only works with 2008+ vehicles

7 Likes

OK, for us less technical folk how would that be used please?

2 Likes

You plug it into the OBD2 Port where you’d normally hook up a Scan Tool for diagnosing check engine lights, and if you’re using the Air Fuel Ratio you can get a better mixture of air and woodgas. The upside to this is you don’t have to do any splicing or wiring, it’s powered by the OBD2 port. This is basically a Scan Tool shaped like a gauge. You can select through different modes to check on different sensors, like coolant temperature, spark timing, manifold pressure etc.

This will only work on an OBD2 vehicle(1996 and up) obviously. Some people are saying it may only work on vehicles made from 2008 and up, I’ll look into it more to make sure.

Edit: Okay yeah it seems this gauge only works with 2008+ vehicles that support CAN BUS.

7 Likes

I understand the computer in the vehicle controls just about everything, not how it does so or how to adjust settings in the computer. If I’m asking a silly question please forgive. When you say “if you’re using the Air Fuel Ratio you can get a better mixture of air and woodgas” are you saying the gauge can be used to control the ratio? I am thinking along the lines of a street rod show a few years ago where I saw they were using a cell phone to control various aspects of a car’s functions, I seem to remember the air/fuel ratio was one of those they could alter. It was in conjunction with a bluetooth unit connected to the OBD2 serial port. That’s where the question derives from as this seems it might be similar.

3 Likes

No it’s not controlling the AFR, you’re just able to see what the AFR is and can tune it yourself when running on woodgas by choking or opening up the air mixture.

What I linked doesn’t change settings in the computer other than clearing codes, it’s just to view what the computer is seeing. It’s just a gauge.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

This works on my car, do you think the gauges you found would also work?
WiFi Felkodsläsare ELM327 ELM 327 Bildiagnostik Tuning

2 Likes

The gauge I linked says it only works on vehicles made in 2008 or newer.

3 Likes

Hey Guys here is a newly put up “fix up a newer system car” video put up by Todd on his Project farm channel.

No. Not a vehicle to wood gas. But a late model computers controlled vehicle needing diagnosing, electronic, emissions and many mechanical repairs.
The lesson is get over being afraid of newer stuff.
Do get the tools you will need. And wade on in to modern stuff.

He’s doing nearly all exactly how I do. Using many of the same tools and techniques.

Just DO save some time; frustrations; and breakages, and dripping wet down the plastic weather proof electrical connectors and plastic splash panel and body panne pin/clips with an aerosol can of silicone spray before attempting removing.

Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Hi All
This new video just popped up.
I’ll put it here as an expanded background to some of the discussion recently done on JanA’s Chevrolet 4.3L topic:

I’ve been hands-on using internal combustion engines since ~1966 . . . my newest just a week old now.
Always still more to learn. Year old gasoline fuel even stored and preserved well loses too much octane resulting in exhaust smoking and engine power loss and overheating!!
Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Interesting video, Steve.
As a side note - I watched an interview with a former Concord pilot resently. He mentioned he had a 98 yo lady as a passanger back in the 80s. Her main interest was aviation and she was allowed into the cockpit for a chat. She was asked about her first airplane ride and she responded it was 1909 - after in person been watching the Wright brothers first attempts for several years. Mindblowing - Wright brothers to supersonic Concord within a lifetime.

10 Likes

Now you guys have me thinking about IC airplane engines. If you are in a steep ascent or dive or if you are inverted are you still getting full lubrication? Or if inverted is the oil running into the rocker covers.

9 Likes

Hey TomH.
The WWII German aircraft Vee-engines were mostly all inverted. Lower center of balance.
Much, much easier in-field mainteneces accesses.
Dry sump. Scavenged pumped oil in remote reservoir coolers.

And all of the radial engines do have lower hanging down cylinders. Watch the old pre-starting up videos with crewman hand prop tuning them for pre-starting oil re-distribution.
S.U.

8 Likes

FYI:

This looks like it could clear up some confusion (at least for me) some of the differences between LS, Vortec, and other modern Chevrolet engines.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/chevy-ls-lsx-lsa-engine-history/

8 Likes

I don’t really understand, is the LS only the V8, or is this also an LS?

6 Likes

No the 4.3 is not an LS.

That LS badge is a trim level from Chevrolet that stands for Luxury Sport or Luxury Standard. Ironically the LS trim is usually the base trim.

The code for a 4.3L V6 is the LU3. Edit: LU3 is at least for my generation of 4.3 which is still based on the original Small Block Chevy family.

11 Likes

Good article Hans. Now I couldn’t possibly be more confused. Life was simpler when you just went by engine displacement and whether it was standard or H.O. (high output)

10 Likes