Predator 224 6.6 hp

You could repower an old tractor for cheap.
Rindert

13 Likes

I have seen lots of predator powered mud trucks with big gear reduction, but that’s the first tractor i have seen!

7 Likes

Mini bike with a side car and charcoal gasifier for power

5 Likes

I’m not as bad as I used to be I admit I have bought some of these little Engines just to take the apart and see what’s inside

6 Likes

I saw that video a while back Rindert. I guess seeing is believing. Still a stretch for me.

4 Likes

Come to think of it Jacob did something like that too. Of course he gassed it. :smile: I would imagine something like that might come in handy for dragging wood out of the back 40 or something.
Rindert

7 Likes

That made me remember Jacobs first small tractor build at Argos.
Especially the pipe union driveline connector! Budding genius!

8 Likes

I still say minibike.

FInd a Chinese 165 build a large side car.
Where the engine currently is put the gasification unit, behind the side car a the clone.
This leaves a lot of room for people and wood and it will be interesting to look at too as well as functional

The rear slant of the clone lends itself well to blending into the space behind the side car and between the bike and car.
You could even get very very clever and buy one of those differential units from B&M karts to make the thing turn as well as have better than the single wheel for traction and driving.

4 Likes

Never heard of those differential units, can’t find them from a cursory search. I know Cyclekart guys get Mazda MX differentials and build a new housing to attach a sprocket to.

I prefer live axle, for suspension you can just use u joints for pivoting. That or single wheel for power. Even Urals have a selection for turning off 2x2.

2 Likes

I want to resurrect the work of a group doing freeware ideas of building equipment around what they called a power cube. This was a gas motor,(charcoal or wood) driving a hydraulic pump, a reservoir, that could be put into any application. Lift it and put in a tractor, use the hydraulics to drive wheels or a backhoe, put it in a cement mixer and use the hydraulics to run the mixer, put it in a hay bailer and bail hay, just a hydraulic power supply for any application. A perfect application for you motor. do a search for power cube if you are interested.
kent

3 Likes

Comet industries went out of business about 15 years ago.
There were lots of parts floating around but maybe the well is going dry now.
This is the SCD-1

A live axle trike is not easy to turn Cody…

2 Likes

Only way I know how to have one now is either buy a lawn mower chain drive differential or build one

For a sidecar bike I just use the main wheel for power.

1 Like

s-l400 (2)

What about this after the tav2? I had a reverse gear box on my first Commuter Sasquatch. It was a blast in the snow

4 Likes

I think the highest horsies these can take is 13hp, so it should be fine. I’ve been wanting to get one.

Technically you put the tav2 driven pulley on that long shaft, but you have to get a longer belt. You could just put a sprocket on there though and run some #35 chain.

2 Likes

And I have become a Harbor Freight Groupie…as I passed through Marquette, I stopped, again, and bought a lonely “Open Box” Predator 212 they had sitting there.
I better find a twelve step program.

@Norman89 , I watched your predator play list. I actually have something from the old days that could use a predator… around here, they were called “Doodle Bugs”…I better post a picture. But basically, it’s an old car frame with a narrowed front and rear axles. Its old. Solid straight front axle. Same deal as the play list though. They welded seats to the frame and had a chain drive apparatus driving the transmission input shaft.

One note from the play list, the fella with the orange D50 said a torque converter didn’t work on his truck.

4 Likes

Yeah the belts slip from the weight and burn them up.

I do know the guy from Robot Cantina has had luck with putting a torque converter equipped 212 and 420 into a Honda Insight, but that’s a small aluminum framed car.

I’d say if you want to put it on anything bigger than a golf cart or big go kart, go with a centrifugal clutch because once it’s at 1500~1800 RPM there’s no slip.

With a centrifugal clutch you also get a little bit of some engine braking until the engine gets below the grab point. On my motorized huffy I had a predator 79cc that I got up to 45mph, I only had the coaster brake for stopping but luckily if I just let off the throttle it would engine brake down to about 25 mph and then I could stand on the pedal to slow down.

1 Like

Immna sleep on this idea. I have a buzz saw with a flywheel. I am thinking of using the a predator and tav2 combo to spin up the flywheel/ saw blade. Its not sexy like a mini bike, although probably a lot more dangerous when the blade is throwing the blocks.
I want see what a constant rpm engine can do with that flywheel through that tav2. Slipping is ok, as otherwise something explodes. I wanna see how the blade catches up to the engine rpm. Whether it’s still all governor or if the clutch ratio trades torque for rpm.
Like this Cat with a Kohler fourstroke…

3 Likes

I wanna say if you got the uneven belt, the ratio goes from 3:1 to .9:1. It’s main advantage is having a low RPM under drive

Edit: I can never remember which side the 1 goes on the colon for underdrive and overdrive.

3 spins of the engine for 1 wheel rotation and .9 engine to 1 wheel.

3 Likes

Comet clutch is still in business. www.cometclutches.com I talked with them when I had an opportunity to by the inventory/assets of a small EV car manufacturer several years ago. I have one of their competition clutches on a Dingo type go-cart I picked up for my son a decade ago.

6 Likes

The went bust in the great recession

I think The same company that bought Tecumseh bought them and returned some of their products back to production but I can not say for certain.
There are a lot of Chinese parts out there and there is a chance some of what you buy branded Comet is a mixture of old and new Chinese parts

From the website:
“Certified Parts Corporation (CPC), based in Janesville, Wisconsin acquired Hoffco/Comet December 17, 2009.”

I’m going to double down on that I was right certified did buy the assets.
They have grown over the years buying the rights to defunct companies keeping the parts flowing.
Mostly in warehousing of old parts but some new stuff is manufactured in China when there is a demand.

http://www.certifiedpartscorp.com/EpiphanyWeb/FlexPage.aspx?ID=201

3 Likes