Škoda pickup on wood

Thanks Kristijan , i was sat here waiting for the uploads and hey presto they appeared as like magic .
What have i missed here ? you are lighting the flare from the gas out port ? if so are you blowing into the gasifier , it looks like you have another opening on the opposite side of the inner drum , anyway as always great work well done .
Dave

7 Likes

For some reason the videos now took just a few minutes to upload…

Yes this gasifier only has 2 openings. Again, simplicity and foulproofness. I started it by sucking on the outlet then l reversed the shopvac and pushed air in the air intake

7 Likes

That was an exciting way of uploading. Constant cliffhangers.
I like the simplicity of this gasifier. Do you think the outer barrel itself will be sufficient cooling or do you plan on extra piping when it’s hooked up the Skoda ?

6 Likes

Yup, cliffhangers videos.
It is 01:38am. Stayed up for these videos.
Time for bed for me. A great way to start the day.
Bob

6 Likes

Bob, l feel honored :smile:

JO, funny you mention that. Im in my thinking chair (wich is situated at work :smile:) as we speak, sorting this question out.

The barrel has loads of surface area but its a sluggish action happening in there with the gas. I want this. Means the barrel works as a dropbox and a gas reseroar to smoothen out gas quality fluctuations. And it prevents the localised hotspots or the barrel itself to overheat.

The test like l sayd was overpowered and the barrel got hot. How hot will it get in real life we will see but in any case its too hot to hook on a plastic piping.

Solution one is a roof cooling rack like JO has. But solution 2 is more apealing, l will throw it on paper now.

3 Likes

Im thinking this. Imagine a cyclone with a second inner wall, maybee an inch of space between the two. Gas enters tangentaly, spins around the outer wall and dumps some dust down. Then gas rises trugh a center pipe, where a sack filter is located. So, this doubles as an efficiant cooler snd fine filter. Any thods?

12 Likes

I like this idea, it’s a rudimentary cyclone, drop box, and sack filter! My little ammo can filter seems to be working great as just a drop box and sack filter I’ve pulled tons of soot out from the bottom already.

4 Likes

But primarly its a cooler, cyclones are excelent coolers with their turbolent atmosphere

4 Likes

Forcing the gas to go downwards also will cool it down somewhat, right? I know with distillation of alcohol, I will get some natural condensing before adding water when my output pipe is pointed downwards. Not sure if this applies to Producer Gas.

1 Like

With slow velocity gas im sure thats a thing. But here the speed of gas is probably too great to show any effect…

3 Likes

The cooler/dropbox/filter- vessel seems like a good idea to me

5 Likes

Thoughts? Yes.
The most efficient gas cleaners are one-pass through membrane filters.
These have two problems with fresh produced woodgas:
Newly lit-up fresh gas wets the filter membrane. Wet wood will steam pass through wetting the filter membrane.
O.K. So let it heat to be above the condensation point.
Then the second problem.
The hot gas will fibers weaken the filter membrane.

All-in-one Kristijan is an excellent concept.
And possible. Will take trial-an-error dialing it in. M-a-y introduce it’s own narrow range of use limitations.

The membrane filter using guys have all had their other-users wetting clogging experiences. And their other-users failing to clean; or overpulling/overheating filter burning ups.

I am not trying to nay-say. Just saying that integrated systems are the trickiest of all.
Your saving grace is you are primarily charcoal using. AND only making one system for your own use.
I say try it.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Because I subscribe to you channel, when I turned on You-tube last night your first video came up as recently uploaded. I’m guessing that why you got more views there than at DOW. It always takes me an hour at least to upload 10 minutes of video to You-Tube.

I didn’t see any kind of clean out port for the ash beneath your grate. If you don’t need one I’m wondering if you could set the gasifier in a third barrel with water or anti-freeze in it with a small pump to circulate the water through a small radiator. If you used the radiator it wouldn’t have to be a lot of water and therefore not a lot of extra weight.

4 Likes

I stayed up waiting for the uploads got the notification and clicked it next thing I remember was the alarm clock and running out there door for work. Now I’m at work waiting on parts I can rewatch with a clear not tired mind and enjoy

5 Likes

Excellent video series Kristijan.
Very informative and inspiring.
Operations experiences really matters.
Never woosie-out (be stingy), on the non-engine testing blower air-watts!! Suck and blow it hard.
Regards
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

See in your new design you have solved one issue you had before with no stored up gases space. The hesitation should go away with the space that you have now, with the larger barrel drop zone and cyclone spin drop box with filter combination. If you do add cooling rails that will mean just more stored up gases to use, a win win.
I can modify my variable gate cyclone and add the extra wall cylinder inside of it, great idea Kristijan.
Bob

4 Likes

Just an idea.
Rindert

3 Likes

Kristijan do you plan on keeping the top over your pickup bed?

If you do, how do you plan to light up each time? I thought you could use the drop pipe idea and toss down a lit piece of charcoal but with the top on that would be a problem.

5 Likes

Don, I thought Kristijan would use the lighting port that he has used before at the bottom by the reduction opening.
Bob

Just a thought here not for the Skoda build. How about 2 gasifers in parallel that would give you 2 times the range for fuel mileage. This would be used on much bigger vehicles with bigger area to place them and the larger engine displacements. They could share the same cyclone, filter, cooling rails. If one starts to run out of fuel first, it can be isolated for refueling, and then refuel the other gasifer hopper.
Simple design and light weight barrel construction.
As soon as the fire restiction is lifted off Here in Washington State it is back to the back yard fires and making lazy man’s charcoal in the evenings.
Sitting around the campfire fellowshiping with friends and family in Yeshua’s Name. I probably have 5 to 6 hundred miles of charcoal fuel now ready to go. I need to build a charcoal silo for storage.
Bob

6 Likes