Škoda pickup on wood

Speed takes its toll in many forms, I would always push hard and work fast as I could always trying to impress the boss or the girl or to myself that I’m a bada**…days gone by. My time in the woods logging and tree service taught the lesson speed isn’t always good. Trying to go fast walking a log bumping knots I would always jump off the end of the log and land flat footed headed for the next tree in a hurry. Now my knees pay for it big time. When I go fast now I make mistakes so I have slowed down and engage the brain a lot more. Looking back now oh the many miles I could have traveled with brush piles burned and chipped and hauled off. I think making the charcoal in bulk right on the homestead as you are doing is pure brilliance. From waste to fuel and selling for profit, that is just golden

7 Likes

Ha, look where one single line took us :smile:
Demons, yes. They exist in many forms. The funny thing is the ones that seem silly to most may be unwinable to others. Drugs exist in many forms, not just phisical/chemical.

Anyways, l took a look at the insurance policy of the Škoda and realised it expires in a week! This means l need to get it in shape and inspected before l get to this project. But its ok. I got time. I stopped hurrying so much :wink:

8 Likes

Delaying construction just means you can have all of your ducks in a row to complete in record time.
I’m astounded that in my state, if a vehicle is over 30 years it doesn’t even take a safety inspection. You do pay more in taxes but I think I pay a yearly 40 dollar tax for the Mazda.

4 Likes

So, here is the latest update. The truck did not pass inspection. And its a great question if it ever will again. Hidden rust in sructuraly important spots that will be hard to fix. So l decided to change the plan a bit. I will still make this project happen, but differently.

I will build a portable downdraft flex-fuel gasifier. With its construction l will aim towards it being able to fit on the Škoda but it will also be able to power a much smaller or larger motor with some minor adjustment. I had a need for a gasifier like that for a while now.

If and when the truck gets road legal again, wich culd be months, the project will just get a aditional chapter :wink:

Anyway, l think l have the basic layout in my head now. Only a couple of minor things to sort out, then the project will start. I alredy got welding gas yesterday, hope to be able to get cheramic and copper nozzles for my plazma in time… If not, its back to the good old angle grinder

14 Likes

JO with his excelent new build kicked my ass so l decided to dedicate this sunday to the build. I dont have all the materis yet probably but l will do what l can. Will report on the way.

Good news on the truck too. Found a guy that will pach the rusted out floor for me so looks like it will be woodgased and road legal after all!

Get back to you guys after breakfast!

8 Likes

This is what lm working with!

4 Likes

Got the lids fited on after some streightening

4 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Restriction. A old peace of pring

Now to cut up this big bad girl! Time to burn some discs…

6 Likes

First hickup. Had to borrow one of these from a neighbour

7 Likes

It’s fun to follow you Kristijan, thank you for taking the time to show.

5 Likes

Kristijan! Have you lit up yet? :smile:

4 Likes

In a moment :smile:

Flute part!

5 Likes

3x8mm holes per flute

7 Likes

Got a question now.

This is the grate. Its gona be on chains, WK style. I never made one of these. How far from the hearth bottom shuld it hang and shild l turn it concave side up or down?

5 Likes

I would say concave down like a shallow cup about 1 inch down.

7 Likes

I sure hope you make the Double Flute work! I think it needed an experienced set of eyes to get the bugs out.

3 Likes

I would say what Don said.
Just enough to hold a thin layer of ash for protection and a 1" by-pass gap.
Too late but, I made cuts with the disc and punched the holes to get a little “angel iron ash holding effect”.

6 Likes

Oh l see… Well the gasifier is easy to take apart, if problems occur its easy to fix.

3 Likes