Small or home made sawmills

And now all of the giant trees of clear lumber is gone. And the forest were never replaced with the same type of trees again. New hybred type of trees planted that grow faster. That whole logging mill operation is gone from the glory days in less than 75 years of logging that area in 1926. That progress for you. Same around here where I live. No logging mills left and the old forest trees are gone.
Bob

5 Likes

I worked in the logging woods from 1962 to 1967 in central Oregon.
All but the last year was in old growth timber.
High lead in very steep country setting 1” by 30’ chokers and 1 1/8” for the biggest logs.
My first year was under a wooden spar tree then a metal pole later
I didn’t realize then that it was the end of the big wood industry, but great memories

12 Likes

The oldest boy sawed slightly larger pieces to build with, it was good to watch from the side as he sawed. Now I know a bit where the saw is unstable

7 Likes

Jan, I’m looking at how you implemented the log clamping system, I need to do something similar with my saw

5 Likes

11 Likes

Wife and I have done some sawing the last couple of days .

Sawed a lot of 14 and 16 inch boards but have to slow down a little . The blade I was using on this 16 incher has hit three nails. I reshaped but will put another on before I saw anymore which may be the first of next week . :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Your mill cuts way faster than mine. I think it would take me at least five minutes to get through that log. Can’t say for sure because I’ve never cut 16 inches. Plus I am always cutting dried logs.

6 Likes

Thanks for the movie Wayne.
Do you know the speed of your bandsaw blade?

5 Likes

Good morning Jan .

A very ,very rough estimate is 5,000 feet per min…

5 Likes

Thanks Wayne.
I think I have about 4200ft, but the motor is only 3kw, a bit too bad for wider boards.

4 Likes

Some progress on the saw, well, so I made the log clamps and the log rolling tool

12 Likes

Looks good, Tone, please more pic’s of the log rolling tool, as it comes together :smiley:
By the way, do you use charcoal or coke/coal for blacksmithing?

4 Likes

Goran, I still need to make a clamp around the wooden pole… it will probably be done tomorrow. I use charcoal for forging

4 Likes

Hello Tone .

I use the armstrong method also for rolling the logs . Only problem is the arms are not strong any more :smile:

13 Likes

That is a manly vise you have there Tone. I can’t guess what a new one that size would cost. Also the anvil. They just can’t be had for love or money anymore in this area. You are richer than you probably suspect.

8 Likes

Goran, this is a tool for manipulating wood on a saw, Mr. Wayne definitely surpasses me.
:grinning:

New from the store😀

12 Likes

Looks great Tone, i think i have to make one myself, good when handling firewood also, to turn the logs to avoid cutting in the dirt with the chainsaw :smiley:

5 Likes

My uncle uses an old floor jack and wedges to do his rolling as of late. But then again we are still whittling down the big 36" diameter Oak tree so you’d need a team of Tone’s to lever them around.

6 Likes

We have a couple peavy’s we use, old old old been rehandled to 8’. Be amazed the logs you can roll with 2 guys. Pickaroon’s are nice for not leaning over and picking up split wood that is chucked into the trailer. 30-40" trees 8’ sections are one man manageable anything longer is a 2 man operation. That’s green Doug fir, alder and cottonwood is a turd cause I swear it’s about 90% water by weight

8 Likes

Great tools you have made Tone !!

You have golden hands :grinning:

8 Likes