Tools, Tips and Tricks

Cody, I run regular stainless steel wire in my mig machine, and just use the argon bottle that I use on my tig torch. seems to work well enough for me.
kent

2 Likes

I’ve only got 75/25, I don’t run TIG so I don’t have a 100% bottle.

I’ve got a 2lbs spool of SS flux core. I might just use it as it is and not worry about double shielding.

2 Likes

Any chance you can look up the manufacturer’s instructions for that wire? Then you could compare the results from following the instructions with other things you do.

1 Like

They just say gas is not required, but I’ve heard dual shielding can be beneficial.

1 Like

Yes dual shield or the proprietary name innershield can be beneficial in outdoor high wind areas it is great for in the field. That being said I have never used it on anything but structural welding one would like to know how it does on light sheet metal, because as a rule of thumb for me flux core runs hotter then solid core and is harder for me to do thin sheet metal, don’t miss doing floor panels and quarter panels with it it was a very slow process to control the heat well and the amount of bb’s rolling around was very annoying

6 Likes

In my opinion. use the cheapest shielding gas you can find. turn it up a little higher than most people will tell you to. I run . 035 wire on regular steel and. 030 on stainless. I weld everything with pure CO2 drink machine gas. it cost me less than 20 bucks to swap the 5 ft tall bottle.
I have used argon, and the 75/25 and I have never noticed much difference except in the effect it had on my billfold.
Btw the cheapest steel wire I have found is on Amazon. 44 lb rolls of. 035

8 Likes

Where do you get a bottle for drink machine gas? A restaurant wholesaler?

I’m already used to flux core and overpen and spatter so I’d just as soon run pure CO2. I bet CO2 goes a lot longer too because its actually liquefied and not just compressed gas like Argon.

3 Likes

I have refilled a CO2 bottle with dry ice from the grocery store.

5 Likes

Yes, CO2 is why cheaper!! My tank wasnt full when i started my build. I had used it to filled up a few tanks for the kids paintball guns… so im not sure were it was at when i started. But i use the same tank on my lincon 255 mig and dads smaller lincon 110. I looked the other day and tank was still around 1000. My tank is around that 5 ft. Too.
Dont remeber what the cubic volume is.

6 Likes

I have had my co2 tank lease for going on 15 years or more. Its from central magowen. It was probably around the $200 Initially. And every 5 years i get a bill for tank Maintenance somewhere in the ballpark of $30.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I think some the bottles came from an auction, but Most of the CO2 bottles we have came from the Dumpster at the Airforce base when my grandpa was a plane mechanic there 40 years ago. Drink Machine Bottles are the same as the other Pure CO2 bottles. Down here its sold at welding shops as drink machine gas so it is much cheaper than 75/25 or even 25/75 Argon/ co2

5 Likes

interesting film- comments?

2 Likes

Giorgio, some are illusions, the other is harsh reality, and I’ve been dealing with that for as long as I know, the laws of physics apply here. I won’t bother explaining this case, but it can’t work that way

10 Likes

But we LIKE perpetual motion machines!!! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

I think a gasifier setup is the closest we can get :smile:

7 Likes

The whole earth is a perpetual motion machine. One part of this is the earth’s crust that folders under it’s self by the different plates moving on the earth and the new earth comes up as volcanic eruptions under the sea and on the dry land and it just keeps going until the Almighty God the Creator says stop with is word Yesuha! Mind boggling amazing.
Bob

5 Likes

Good thing you guys are here to remind me that I’m a dumb ass or else I would have swallowed the whole pill. I don’t know much about electricity and the guy was certainly convincing.

7 Likes

The whole production is like a magic show (nothing up my sleeve)—no advertisement for a product for sale—no info or book for do-it-yourselfers. Very suspicious.

6 Likes

i can also believe in the inbelieveable, all can be possible…who in the middle ages has thought about steam engines, who houndred and fifty years ago about the tecnical "progress " from nowadays…
but it is like he likes to give you a sandwich to eat, but the sandwich is only on a foto…
in one way better so, because if it would really work, our gasifiers became forgotten again , and with them a lot of old and modern developers knowledge…that would be a pitty…
as jo says, you can not get something better than a gasifier…

6 Likes