Toyota: 22r carb, or 22re go?

Thanks Wayne

Have you seen any discernable difference in gas production between the slightly different diameter fire tubes? Or have you experimented with fire tube thickness? I just sent you a pm before I saw you had posted here. I have access to a 11" pipe 1/2" thick and was wondering if that would work for a fire tube in the toyota

Good morning Marcus.

In most cases when I build something it is not what may be best but what I have available to me.

I think a 11 inch diameter pipe would work out OK by tuning the unit with the proper choke plate .

1/2 inch pipe is heavy and I can’t give much advise on that . The heaviest I have used is 1/4 inch and I think most of the time 3/16 inch ,

A 1/2 inch fire tube will serve as and give somewhat of a flywheel effect but may be too much . It will take longer to get fired up and running .

The expansion rate for 1/2 inch material is going to be a lot different than the materials that are welded to it so not sure how it will affect welds .

3 /16 x 12 inch pipe seems to be fairly common and can easily be cut down to whatever diameter you want .

4 Likes

Well I’ll keep looking. I don’t want to deviate from the recipe to far on a first build till I have the basics down and learn the system and how to operate it

4 Likes

Marcus, Around here sign companies have a lot of bits of pipe usually 12" diameter and 3/16" wall. Some of the guys on the forum or in-person thought that 3/16" worked well for them. The only comment I remember was that they thought it might take a couple of minutes more to come up to temperature. I don’t recall anyone trying to use 1/2" wall pipe.

3 Likes

I have some lengths of bridge piling here in Michigan. This is spiral welded pipe formed from flat coil stock and rolled into a helix and welded. There is a weld bead on the outside so there is some fitting involved for welding fins to it. I’m not certain of the diameter. I can check if there is interest.

I thank you very much for the offer, I found a piece to work with and started a build thread :grin::+1: