Tractor with gas?

Curiosity didnā€™t give me peace, but I emptied the gasifier, a lot of charcoal and covered the bottom with charcoal and also brown pieces of ashā€¦ the lower nozzle is undamaged, obviously this construction works, maybe a more massive nozzle with a little bigger would work even better diameter, which would expand the glowing area a little more and thus reduce the temperature to prevent the formation of ash lumps.

11 Likes

Iā€™m still thinking about improving the lower part in the grill area, I donā€™t want complicated solutions, only simple ones come into consideration. From the first day, when I started to deal with the production of gasifiers, I like the way of the Imbert grid area the most, namely that the restriction opening continues downwards, expands and is ā€œimmersedā€ in the coal. Thus, the flow of gases should partially exit downwards through the grate, but mostly it would raise ash and coal dust and rise up next to the restriction tube. If I use this idea in my system, I would get an empty space at the top of the grate, which would allow the charcoal and ash content to rise up and thus loosen,ā€¦ I will find out when the gasifier is next emptied.

5 Likes

That is only because of your special nozzle coming up from the bottom, right? The regular imbert would not act that way, correct?

5 Likes

Hello Don, with the Imbert construction, the coal and ash lean against the outer wall and cannot move sideways, so it is necessary to shake the grate so that the ash and fine coal falls to the bottom, another problem can also be the temperature being too low for the gasification of the lower coal and with the expansion of the gases to lift the material, and a small amount of air is introduced here and thereby gasifies the remaining coal, and the ash would rise and be discharged laterally through the grate, ā€¦

6 Likes

To anyone viewing; go back above and see that what appears to be hollow air carrying double walls are not walls.
They are hollow bars forming his grate basket. Having vertical spaces between them.

Sure Tone you can try this.
Maybe. (True factory Imberts used thick cast high percentage chromium/nickel steel to endure the gas flow erosion though.)
Removing all of the spacing high melting point carbons from the mineral ash is your real situation. Either lower the temperature; or, fluff-stir the ash particles would seem to be your only ways to not clinker fuse form.
S.U.

5 Likes

Change in the restriction opening, I work according to the plan, otherwise the boss will be harsh :grinning:

11 Likes

There is plenty of motor fuel, Fergie works almost every day, 90% wood 10 diesel fuel, he has done almost 70 hours on wood, now things are clear. But after changing the restriction opening, I have the feeling that the ash is retreating, the resistance in the gasifier is small, the gas is good and strong.

15 Likes

Approximately how far above the grate is your center nozzle? It looks like it would keep the char right on the grate glowing hot

6 Likes

Hello Marcus, the nozzle holes are about 5 cm above the bottom plate, also the extended part of the restriction opening reaches somewhere up to this plane. Here is a hot area, so the remaining fine coal is gasified, the metals would melt if they were not cooled by fresh air.

8 Likes

So it is actually feeding oxgen right down on the grate, hence the reason for such small ash and complete burn?

8 Likes

A joy to watch, thanks, drive on drva

6 Likes

Thatā€™s right, imagine this nozzle surrounded by fine coal and ash, the engine creates a vacuum and sucks gases through this material, while fresh air enters in the middle, thus maintaining a high temperature, which is a condition for coal gasification (coal is gasified at a higher temperature than 650Ā°C). All the resulting gases must also make their way through this dense hot zone.

9 Likes

What Joep said - a joy to watch :+1:
Youā€™re having way too much fun, Tone.

6 Likes

Thanks Tone .

I always enjoy a tractor ride with you . :grinning:

7 Likes

I have said it before and I just have to say it again Tone. You have designed a very good gasifier that burns even the fine charcoal up. A double burn gasifier. One of a kind. And yes to what everyone has said.
Bob

10 Likes

I have to smile every time I hear this tractor. It sounds like itā€™s making bubbles or running underwater. Really pretty relaxing.

7 Likes

Tom, I have a phone that is 5 years old, it records sound strangely, the microphone is probably surrounded by dirt that has accumulated over the years, oil, grease, dust, ā€¦ Iā€™m a little ashamed of the distorted sound, it actually sounds different.

13 Likes

Sounds real good to me Tone. Iā€™ve heard enough roaring machines in my time.

9 Likes

Hey Folks,
This grate nozzle thingy, Tone has come up with, is a really big deal.
I didnā€™t know how it worked, really, just by looking at his sketch, but then as I added it to my own drawing I realized what is going on. When his char bed is good and gas can flow through it easily, the nozzle he has put in the grate flows very little air. Just because of Bernoulli effect the air rushing past its underside might even create a slight vacuum. But when the char bed becomes tight, and gas doesnā€™t flow through it as easily, that grate nozzle starts to flow a lot of air. This will, naturally, burn up the char in that area and allow the material in the restriction to settle, thus a fresh and probably looser char bed. This sets up a dynamic balance of flows between the main nozzles and the grate nozzle. This is a self regulating char bed maintenance system. If designed well I think there will be little need for vacuum gauges in the cab. This is a big step forward for reliability and ease of use.
Rindert

13 Likes

My grandpa used to have a saying in Dutch that translated ā€œLuck by Accidentā€. I wonder if Tone thought about this before he built it or was it an added benefit.

6 Likes