Using peat as fuel for wood gas generators

Has anyone tried to fill wood gas generators with non-standard fuels, as I do? For experiments, I tried factory-made pressed peat and this is what happened.

3 Likes

I also use this kind of fuel. This is pressed straw and sawdust. The machine works well, but you need to be careful, as ash melting is possible. With this in mind, I try not to push the accelerator pedal all the way.

6 Likes

Good morning Joni and thanks for your participation on the DOW.

In years past I have used many different materials for fuel. Thousands of miles on switch grass cubes , broiler litter ( chicken shit and wood shavings ) and many other fuels .

I have traveled all over the USA with my partner Dr. David Bransby

.Library / Bransby Bio | Drive On Wood!

At many of the events I was being asked of all the fuels that might be used . To get the point over I have said that a dead cat would take me about five miles :smile:

Below are one of the test we did with the gasifier . Keep in mind this was over ten years back and improvements have been made .

http://www.driveonwood.com/library/auburn-test/

Thanks Wayne

10 Likes

We need more woodgassers to clean up the road kill. :slight_smile: I just saw a dead deer, that is probably good for 50 miles. :stuck_out_tongue:

There have been a few. Most problems have been with getting the fuel to bind and stick together, without using a binder that will create excessive tar.

We don’t have much for peat in the US being sold for fuel. It is more popular in europe. It is interesting to see it being used.

Did you make your own pressed straw and sawdust or did you buy it?

4 Likes

I ran a 5 gal. bucket full of dried deer bones through the ranger, didn’t notice any difference. :fire:

6 Likes

Pine cones are wonderful…

2 Likes