Wayne's V-10 Ram

Well its good too see Wayne made it out of the two Record hurricanes, and still driving with wood fuel.on my s10 I am adding the cross beams for center mount gasifier.as it seems I can gain 8" and not change any thing other than the gas tank bracket was about shot anyway,and mounted a Geo metro flat tank behind rear Axel, as many fords have done from factory ,over the years.It certainly is a tough choice the extra weight VS the extra wood space VS out of the wind but still adding the weight, on the side I only gain 3" and in the center I am looking for better ballance of weight shift.That drive on wood gasifier has too be pretty darn good too get that many tar free miles, engine grade wood gas fuel.certainly glad I bought the book HAVE WOOD WILL TRAVEL,with all the extras not menchened,

4 Likes

Nothing new to report , just burning wood :grin:

5 Likes

Driving the ole truck daily :grinning:

Often if I have any long and narrow fuel I will feed the gasifier without chunking it .

The pictures below are this morning’s fire up .

IMG_0205IMG_0207

11 Likes

I will have to try this , thanks Wayne.
Bob

1 Like

I wanted to show bringing the gasifier up to about the max temp and then go to hybrid to cool it back down.

After I made this video I realized there were a glare from the back glass and the gauges are hard to see. I have more of the same trip to make today so I will make the same video again with the back glass open

4 Likes

This is about the same video as above but with the back window open . Lot more noise but no glare on the gauges .

The gauge on the right ( drivers side ) is a 0-60 water inch, connected to the hay filter on the motor side of the hay .

The gauge in the center is a 0-30 that reads the vacuum at the cooling rails .

The gauge on the left is a BBQ thermometer .

Have Wood Will Travel :grinning:

7 Likes

Mr Wayne,
I’m a little confused here. With your above statements in mind and watching the guages I notice a close to 2:1 ratio pressure drop across hay filter and rails. I never connected a guage to the motor side of the filter but always considered it almost zero restrictive. I find it hard to belive half the vacuum is lost there. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Good morning JO

The 2:1 ratio is beginning to show the hay filter should be changed or cleaned but with this 8L motor pulling the gasifier I think 1 1/2 : 1 ratio is about normal on this gasifier .

Keep in mind even with this high ratio I can easily over pull and over heat the gasifier .

5 Likes

Thank you a lot for the clarification.

1 Like

Snow in Alabama ??!!

7 Likes

Thanks Wayne.That about how my gauges read from building my gasifier from your book, HAVE WOOD WILL TRAVEL. NOW I will hook a vac gage between hay filter and the motor too tell when filter is pluging. I thought we were the only ones getting snow.thats about all the snow we have way up here in Michigan. I will trade your winter for are summers any day.

1 Like

That sure is some pretty landscape with the white snow Wayne, the nice thing about where you live is, it won’t last and I’m sure you like it that way.
Question, when the weather get down to freezing at night do you make sure you empty the over flow drain pipe on the hay filter? I do this every time because I think it might freeze up and crack my drain plug fitting below the hay filter. Also I drain my hopper condensation tank before I shut down the gasifier for the day.
What are your thoughts on this. I might be way over cautious on this part of the 75% learning, but I don’t want the learn the hard way by freezing up pipes and breaking something.
Thanks for the video, I always like to go for a video drive in a gasifier truck or car.
Bob

2 Likes

Lucky you driving in the snow!!:grin:

2 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bob.

I have never had any of the pipes , tubes or drains to freeze and bust . I’m sure over the years the pipes have frozen bust none to bust yet .

I have had the hopper filler lid to freeze and need to us my lighter torch to free it.

I think I will save some of the condensates and test to see if they freeze at the same temp as water .

7 Likes

I have samples from my condensate/vinegar in the freezer… nope, not frozen after 3 weeks…,
Temperature in the freezer = -18ºC

7 Likes

Thanks Wayne, and Koen for the info. That’s a good idea just save some when dumping and see what it does in freezing conditions.
Bob

2 Likes

I did break the hay filter drain PVC a couple years ago. Maybe 20F weather??

3 Likes

At your hay filter, that should be mostly just plain sooty water, so @ 20F would freeze.
(Know-it-all-with no gasifier: Mike.) :wink:

8 Likes

Somewhere around -15C (5F) is when my hopper juice starts to have slush in it. No risk of cracking anything.
However water in the hayfilter and condensation tank is probably frozen rock hard most of the time. I’m actually surpriced my bottom ball valve survives. Maybe the bottom bed load of soot is the key.

3 Likes

Hi Mike, that will all change soon, now that you have a TRUCK to convert to wood gas. Then when you start learning the other 75%, you will be able to say, “I don’t know it all with a gasifier.” And SWEM
Bob

2 Likes