What the hay bailer chunker

ok thanks guys i am probbly build like al and make the arm removable, or maybe limit the welds in clamp area so not too much cutting needed to take apart if needed.Thanks again

1 Like

Hi jakob are you useing a pipe too cut the wood or are you braeking the wood more like the johnson guy from south africa.Thanks.

1 Like

Bob M.'s chunker started as a New Holland bailer…
http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/bobs-wood-chunker

Mine is slicing it, on dryer wood it crushes it pretty good as well.

2 Likes

Thanks jacub that design seems like might be less strain on gear box, are you able too chop 3" green hardwood at same speed as the other type cutting pipe designs.

2 Likes

I can easily cut 3 in green hardwood. I have a very big opening on my blade the biggest I was cutting was 7 3/4" It was a semi hardwood.

2 Likes

I’ve ran 4" dry Oak through mine just to test it out. It handled it without a problem.

3 Likes

Ok thanks bill is yours a pipe chopper like chris and Wayne or a slicer like jacub and few others.

1 Like

Thanks jacub, what size space your chopping the wood through, any video or photos of your finish blade and base chopping bars.? Are you getting same size wood as Wayne without cutting twice.?Thanks.

1 Like

I modeled mine after Chris’.

1 Like

This wood was 2x4’s the knife is 3 inches long. I can cut whatever length wood I want up to 14 inches long. If you build one like this leave the cutting edge serrated a bit It helps cut the strings.

DSCN0121 DSCN0122 DSCN0120 DSCN0119 DSCN0122 DSCN0123 DSCN0128

7 Likes

Ok thanks jacub, that looks like good size wood too drive with. i was thinking that you and bob were cutting the wood with the backer plate with out the pipe piece . Or is bobs cutter same as yours useing a backer plate and the notched pipe for the cutter? now that i see these design like yours, i might help if one could put a few bearing behind the backer plate. Inline ware the plate is push cutting the wood’ is enough space is there.? or designed for a bearing.Thanks again for the design pictures.

2 Likes

There would be room for a bearing. I don’t think you need it the bearings in the gearbox seem to be pretty stout, but only time will tell.

2 Likes

Thanks jacub is any body with bailer chunkers useing my size gear box, mine has a 22 by 4" thick pulley ware the pto goes, it seems bob has a 7.5" by 22" pulley. maybe same gear box not sure .

1 Like

Kevin if you are nervous about the bearing in your gearbox you can look the baler up here

Search their New Holland parts page with your baler number and you can open up the full parts diagram showing the part number for the bearings you will have to cross the NH part number with Timkin or some other bearing manufacturer to get the full load specs but I am sure the hay chunker can come close to the force of a hay baler packing in wet hay. When you have hay bales up around 120 lbs of wet hay that plunger is pack some serious force.

4 Likes

Kevin you are worrying too much Just get to building. All the gear boxes are geared about the same. They were all designed to run off a 540 PTO. That means 540 reverlutions per minute. I never counted the rpm of the shaft arm, but I can still hear it in my head, and I would say it was running at about 60 rpm. The bearings should be no problem unless you can’t turn the fly wheel over by hand when the big arm is removed and anthing else the gear box drives. My chunker went through the fire I had in my shop and the only thing that got hurt was the springs on the clutch. TomC

8 Likes

Ok thanks tom collins, mine is red so i think it was made in the 70’s . bobs has a 7 " thick pulley mine has only a 4 inch thick pulley problly pulley only difference, i can add a coulple thick plates too the pulley too give it the heavyer pulley.

1 Like

my gear box sizes. same 3" on the working arm shaft, i need too see what size shaft on bobs 7" thick pulley, my pulley shaft is only 1 5/8" od.? or any bodys pulley shaft that has the 7" thick drive pulley.Thanks.

1 Like

I think i will at leaste flush out and change oil maybe put new seals too it . Caint wait too get choping at the bit with this like perfect gear gear box chunking wood tool.

4 Likes

Kevin, that gearbox is a heavy-duty, farm duty rated chunk of steel. If baling hay for many years did not hurt it, a 3 HP or even 15 HP on a belt drive is not going to hurt it. I say put fresh lube in it and chunk away!! :smile::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes