Wood-fired gas generator Kolyvan 9.0 version

https://youtu.be/Ymv5xyFzgNc

Ha, l got proof it is possible :smile:

16 Likes

Greetings to your wife and thank you for the ride, my wife does not want to drive s10an even on gasoline, think it is too big.

5 Likes

That is pretty funny. If she thinks the S10 is big then wait till she sees a Silverado or old C10 truck! :rofl:

2 Likes

Hello Joni,
I like most the concept of a stabilized design.
My current pocket flip cell phone works no better than the Wife’s 1995 Motorola digital flip phone. AS A PHONE. My last three owned in 15 years I have been forced-“upgraded” have been actually irritating with too many special function buttons; and not need by me functions.

I know after 3 times trying; I am going backwards then. Very seldom with any functionable improvements. ONLY simplification worthy to pursue then.
And your’s by the 9.0 is as simple a gasification system as I’ve seen.

What are your current experiences on filtering material on your evolved system?
What are your Good; Better; Best, recommendations for filtering material?

Best Regards
Steve Unruh

10 Likes

Hi Joni, any new builds on your 9.0 gasifier? Or ideas that you have not tried out yet? How has your gasifier vehicle been running? Have you had any maintenance repairs since the 9.0 build?
Bob

5 Likes

Hi All,
New Springtime day, new thoughts, new developments.
CodyT had found a December 15, 2015 video interview of an early Joni’s bumper mounted woodgas system. I will cross post here. We will get to hear Joni speak:

DO, CC enable and translate the text of his talking.
This is no doubt a very early Joni development. Compare this with the top of this topic with his much later, many steps evolved Kolyvan 9.0
More than just the outer simplification of a good evolved design will be apparent if you compare the line drawing internal illustrations on this topic, and on his earlier system 8.0 topic.
Plus in the text of these two topics his answered questions to his in-engine compartment, and internal engine improvements.
This was the new developments.

My new thoughts are actually similar early experiences.
I’ve been PMing a new DOW member asking me question on imo for best approaches. Which system to start with. Then we phone talked too.
Ha! Always later ideas/experiences come to mind that I need to convey to him. Better here to many; versus just to one.

Most vehicle guys DO on; or within the wheelbase of the vehicle; mount their woodgasifier system as Joni did.
Reasons why for this versus would seem to be easy just trailer mounting the gasifer system. Others have stated the obvious of two space parking spaces needed. Difficulties backing up. Vehicle loaned out, and it always comes back trailer and/or gas pipe damaged.

Here is my learned bad gasifiers on a trailer experiences. Trailers hop and bounce hard. Especially over traffic bumps and curbs entering or exiting. This jolting breaks down, and packs the need to be flowing char beds. M-a-y-b-e O.K. if the gasifier is in-operation with gasses flowing, internally “fluffing”. M-a-y-b-e O.K. IF you have excellent hard char internally from a superior hardwood like Nordic birch.
Crumbled pack tight death on a non-working system been fueled with soft charring woods.
There should be No Maybe’s in a critical need-to-use system. It must work, each and every time, needed.
Put the wood gasifier system on the vehicle for best smoothest ride and most consistent results. Put the don’t-care, bagged wood fuel, tools, and luggage on the tow trailer. Then you can really cramp tight backing up. Or detach and drop the trailer completely.

Read, observe, even ask what the system designers range-hours of operation expectations are with his system.
VesaM and his Finn fellows want 200-300 kM (120-180 miles). Say 4-6 hours loaded operating time.
WayneK and other building faithfully his system expect 50-100 miles (90-180 kM). Say 3/4 to 2 hours.
Joni says his is made for 35-50 kM. His work commute. And, “not to shine to the public”.
Well that is in-my-opinion near perfect for a woodgas electrical generator system. Smaller engine lower loaded being 2-3 hours batch cycled. ON RAW WOOD FUEL. Any raw wood fuel.
No charcoaling promoted as the easier way. Really? For some maybe. If you have hardwoods. If you have the wiliness to do all of the charcoaling steps past the wood splinters stage.
I’ll still stick to raw wood. With the electrical generator systems wastes heat pre-drying down the woods. You can use up to 40% wet wood then.

Anyhow Joni speaks again.
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

I hope he will be coming back with more information on his projects. A very interesting guy.

10 Likes

Yes TomH,
Yevgen Kolyvan is a very interesting guy.
His systems he has evolved to are actually imho world-class for size, weight and picked up wood capability. Elegantly KISS.
The only thing that I’ve seen for raw wood that I could tow hitch mount on the back of my 2003 Toyota Camery. Very similar to his European GM sedan:

I really expect to see him able to have licensed manufacturing on his Kolyvan 10.0 system.

Ha! Speaking of GM’s. I saw driving down I-5 where someone had taken their GMC boxvan like mine and cut down to the bed level converting it to a low large flat bed. The box wall to the cab was cut conforming to the cab. I’ve never seen this.
He was hauling small farming equipment and farm supplies.
Looked to be very useable, and practical. A WK system would fit nicely then with lot of cargo space left available.
Regards
Steve Unruh - most always about the practical.

13 Likes

Steve when I was at the wrecking yard we bought a fleet of high milage Ford box vans and did the same thing. Generators torches chops saws and sawzall mounted just behind the cab, 14’ flatbeds and 2’ of frame out the back with a regular truck box mounted to carry tools, all the parts puller yard guys ran them. Lots of first reverse through the yard which ended up being lots of transmission replacement in my spare time

8 Likes

Does anyone have the dimensions to go along with the schematic at the top of the thread.
the main one i’m looking for is the distance between the nozzles and reduction and the size of the reduction.
Also its the grate fixed?
What is the diameter of the unit?
I skimmed/ read through the thread didn’t see it but maybe i just missed it. I am trying to get caught up on some reading.

4 Likes

His dimensions are in the 8.0 thread, they’re virtually the same dimensions-wise.

Yes his grate is fixed, the entire gasifier and filter bumps down the road on a bumper hitch that’s allowed to wiggle a little.

6 Likes
5 Likes

thanks i found them
plus 20

6 Likes

Hi all. I understand that the question does not belong to the topic of gas generators, but I’ll ask anyway. Do any of you have experience in producing biodiesel using ethyl alcohol?

4 Likes

@Dualfuel would probably know.

Are you asking if you can produce it without Methanol, and substitute with Ethanol?

4 Likes

The manufacturing process using methanol is very widely described in the literature. I am interested in the use of ethyl alcohol instead of methanol because of its high price.

3 Likes

You are supposed to distill the methanol back out to recover it. But be careful it does cause blindness and other things when inhaled.

It looks as though ethanol can be used. I assume at the same ratio. According to this article and the main problem is it forms an azeotrope with water so it is harder to recover:

And if you want to go deep, this goes fairly deep:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110062115000914

You can make methanol from hardwoods. it is just a simple still at 100 gallons per oven dry ton of wood and you are still left with essentially charcoal.

Here is an alternative biodiesel formula that is simple, but uses parafin oil.

But i am a little suspicious, I am not sure it is a drop in replacement and it might vary depending on temperature. BUT the gelatin makes it easy to purify, it just takes a day or two to settle out.

6 Likes

Note, parafin oil is just what we in the US call kerosene.
Also it is easy to make a diesel substitute from gasoline and waste veggi oil. Jeff Brooks has a bunch of videos on the subject.
Rindert

9 Likes

OH thank you! I was trying to figure out what he meant because paraffin to me is always paraffin wax. Older diesels could use kerosene directly.

4 Likes

Just as a note, some plastics can be fairly easily converted back to a diesel/kerosene substitute with a simple pot still/closed retort. Just make sure you burn the gas off after the ‘condenser’ or at least I wouldn’t recommend breathing it.

This is probably the best description for the process I have seen.

4 Likes