Wood-fired gas generator Kolyvan 9.0 version

So what causes this? Dry surrounding air? Can’t be added heat at 0 degrees. And then in a gasifier it almost has to be heat but at an enhanced rate of speed? What causes oxygen molecules to combine with carbon without combustion which produces some CO2?

1 Like

Don I do not know why directly.
Joni says this is explained out well in that one Russian language paper publication booklet.
Takes a controlled condition negative pressure I expect in addition to the heat molecular excitation. AND without enough available oxygen to form the two O’s in CO2.

Go get a chunk of dry-ice. Frozen solid CO2.
Watch it from solid to vaporize before your eyes. No obvious wetting liquid phase.

3 Likes

Sublimation: when a solid changes directly from solid to gas without any liquid involved. Dry ice, is a good example.

3 Likes

I feel there are apples and pears being mixed here. To clarify things just a bit, every material has a triple point phase diagram. What this graph shows is what state of matter will a material be in a given temperature and pressure.

What Steve describes is true. Water ice does sublimate in certain circumstances. But the process is slow. Cody from Codys lab (youtube) did a test and l think he managed to dry out a pumpkin in a freezer in like 4 years.
Freeze dryers work the same way, but those work at extreme vacuum. Not something you experiance in real life.

So, this brings up to carbon. From the top of my head l think l remember carbon sublimates at around 7000f at atm pressure. Thats not something we get in a gasifier…

But, as l mentioned a few times before, l have a ww2 era book that describes direct combustion of carbon over a certain temperature in to CO.
Think of it that way. Atoms are like magnets right? Take a slingshot and shoot a magnet real gently in a group of magnets. It will cling to the rest. Thats carbon at room temperature (activated carbon holding up to stuff)

Throw it a bit harder, the magnet will bounce off and knock off a few magnets from the pile, they form a litle cluster of their own. Thats charcoal burning, oxigen rips a few atoms from it and forms CO2. Its whats going on in a clasic wood gasifier

Then, you throw the slingshot away, load the magnet in a shotgun and shoot at the pile. You will only knock and take with you one magnet from the pile. If you are lucky.

Temperature is nothing but speed. Speed of molecules. So, in the last case, we jumped a step and we went straight to CO. One molecule if oxigen only got time to rip off one atom of carbon.

What does this mean in practice? More stress to the gasifier( wich isnt nessesery fatal) and certainly molten ash, but a hearth of about half the size of a normal gasifier…

7 Likes

Kristijan, ti is close to the truth, but you are wrong about the size of the hearth and melted ash.:woozy_face:

4 Likes

KristijanL no dispute with what you have said.

But think about those Lab derived results requiring 7000F at atmospheric pressure.

Modifying factor #1. A gasifier internal does operate engine drawn pulled under negative pressure. Look at all of the plastic filter barrels been pulled collapsed.
Modifying factor #2. Just what ring-form of carbon did they use Labbing WWII era?? Probably either lamp-black; or, a fossil coal made carbon powder.
Wood char is porous structured - huge reaction capable surfaces area’s. Within cell walls little rooms. And wood char ALWAYS has trace minerals in it. The minerals for sure acting as catalytic agents. Catalysts changing reaction set points.

The real proof is in system Inputs versus Outputs.
Less unreacted soots and char out in the below grate, piping, filter and engine intake.
More better engine grade gas mix.
Less wood fuel used Inputed.

Still SS stick welder practicing - maybe - maybe not
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

This is what my ash looks like.

8 Likes

Pretty close to what mine looks like.

2 Likes

Yes , Looks like my ash dump also .

3 Likes

Steve, unfortunaly in the case of carbon vacuum has no effect to its vapourisation as this graph shows

But everything else is true. Ash is a catalyst.

Ha, look again at my shotgun shot magnet copmarison. I missed one thing. When the pile of magnets is shot, only one can cling to the “projectile” but that doesent mean the shot didnt knock a few other atoms from the pile… Well, culd be possible…

Joni, you must be lucky. I made slag in even a cool runing gasifier. Reason being l think l used to live on a hill made of silica sandstone. The silica must of have been present in the ash. I made actual glass every week at cleanouts. There is a video somewhere…

2 Likes

Kristijan, this is not luck but cold calculation! :joy:
There are many ways to deal with ash melting, from the selection of firewood to the construction of fireboxes. I took the path of creating a special chamber, since I do not use wood older than five years and such branches, according to the books, contain the greatest amount of silica.

3 Likes

Thats new to me. Thank you

1 Like

Lots of good discussion going on here everyone very inspiring we need more of it.
Joni, this special fire box or chamber you have created. Does it have the correct frequency in it when running in a vaccum the make the jump to go from carbon to carbon monoxide?
Because carbon is a conductor and is also magnetic.
Sir Oliver Heavyside 1800’s genus of his time and his findings and documents , who Nikola Tesla studied under by reading all of his writings about frequencies, magnetic resonance field in different states. One being a vaccum under different temperatures. VERY Very interesting reading. But you have to believe that there is a ether out there of unlimited power. This is where modern mathematics of scientific people disagree on UNFORTUNATELY. I agree with Heavyside, and Tesla.
When I am running down the road my gasifer everytime does this. It is very surprising to me when it happens. At about 10 minutes before my hopper is empty and my temperature goes from 190 °f and shoots up to 300 °f in seconds, Just before this time I notice I have a lot of extra power. The wood gases are making my engine run great like I am running on gasoline.
I ask what has changened? I am using my automixer so it can not be me messing with the air ratio it is fixed. So what is it?
The only thing that has changed is the moisture in the hopper and what is going through the live charcoal pieces in the fire tube or chamber at the restiction zone. This is causing a frequency change in my gasifer fire tube and at the restiction zone.
It is more noticeable on my cherry wood then on poplar wood of fir.
I even noticed it when burning oak at Argos meet up.
When the moisture drops with all the extra moisture condensation in the hopper it happens.
Now who do we know gets rid of extra unwanted moisture with a evacuated moisture system attached to his hopper? Joni.
Now if the frequency is fixed and can not change something else has to change.
I have worked 35 years in the power industry. The 500 KV yard would do some strange things at times and I also witness this out in the forest on high volt lines in a snow storm or in the hot summer time in the switch yard. The moisture in the atmosphere would change and this Bluish Corona would appear on the busses in the switch yard, or the lines in the forest and give off a sound. It will rise the hair on your body, now that is a big magnetic field being developed and I was exposed to. I have seen the corona balls travel around and sparking.
Now back to the gasifer’s moisture or lack of it is one of the keys to getting that rich gas that makes the engine run great like on gasoline. Wood gasification has excessive of moisture and charcoal gasification a lack of moisture to run on and make good gases. It is this perfect balance that we need to do in gasification.
I now can do it with adding charcoal to my wood. But you Joni can do it with just the right combination of wood and the size of his chamber and the moisture condensation removal from the hopper.
My goal is to figure out how this is done. And do it using a WK Gasifier.
I would have never notice this event with out having the automixer, if I was running on manual mixing I would have just thought I got the air mix just right and missed this event that happens in most gasifers under the right conditions for a short period of time before refueling needs to be done in the hopper. Or by making my Rocket Fuel with wood and Charcoal mixed together.
I am looking forward to your 11.0 gasifer up grade.
Bob

6 Likes

Guys, I think that my version 10.0 will be the last design, since I no longer have ideas and thoughts about reworking or introducing something new - my fantasy in gasification is exhausted and my ego is satisfied! :grin:

9 Likes

I have felt that way too about some of my projects. But I always come back to them. I have been thinking about candles since 1972. If my mind ever stops I will be dead.
Rindert

5 Likes

Ha! Ha! You get no Like from me for this statement Joni.
Now that you have developed the core of wood-for-driving you must teach it.
But only to those willing to get hands-on. Actively involved.

Further develop it to be woman useable. Only the special women.
Your Wife? A sister? Some woman too are not afraid to get hands-on and a bit sooty. Ha! Cleaner than dirty baby diapers! Then the greasy pots and pans from a holiday meal presentation.
My wife. One of the three of my sisters. Only one of my four now adult nieces.
Regards
Steve unruh

7 Likes

teach a woman to drive my car … :joy: This is a long passed stage, my daughter drove a car on wood four years ago. Anyone who can do it on a gasoline car can drive my car.

11 Likes

My ego is satisfied? I thinking not Joni.
Down the road in the future it will happen. You are driving down the road on wood a thought will come into your mind, and like the true wood gasification person you are, you will just have to try this new idea that has come into your mind so you can get a good night sleep. All wood gasification people experience this. Lol. At least you will make some more improvements on the 10.0 gasifer.
Looking forward to your valuable inputs on this thread of yours . Thank you for yours.
Bob

5 Likes

I have already implemented all the improvements, improvements and alterations in life and they work, so there will be no new versions, only clones.

8 Likes

I will be waiting for the 10.0 post with much excitement. I like how small of a size you can make your gas generator.

5 Likes