Wood-fired gas generator Kolyvan 9.0 version

Hi Folks,
Do you all know how to find out what all kinds of materials are good for? I think matweb is just sooo useful.
Rindert
(http://matweb.com/)
[Universal 308L is the low carbon version of 308 and is designed for welding 304L stainless steel. The weld deposit contains a maximum of 0.04 carbon which minimizes the formation of chromium carbides, thereby protecting the corrosion resistant qualities of the base metal and weld. This electrode may also be used for welding the stabilized grades 321 and 347 when severe corrosion environments are not present. Alloy 308L can be used for cryogenic applications due to its excellent notch toughness.

Information provided by Universal Wire Works for their line of welding wire and filler metal.](http://matweb.com/)

3 Likes

Hi Joni, how much of your gasifer is Stainless steel. I know your grate is cast iron.
Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob,
the 9.0 gasifier was all stainless except for the grate, lid and lances. Naturally, the cooler and filter housing were ordinary black metal. The cooler is galvanized.

5 Likes

Wow Joni I just had the honor of being your first viewer on You Tube of your newest video.

I gave it the first thumbs up too.

The old 9.0 on the pavement now do have a buyer that wants it?

Looking into the 10.0 firetube lighting port.
Great video thanks you.
Bob

3 Likes

Hello Bobmac!
Ha! this video is already quite old, just until I tried it out and checked it out for flaws, I didn’t want to brag.
Now I am completely confident and satisfied with the work of the Kolyvan 10.0 system and I can brag about it :grin:.
By the way, the duration of the test program was 1300 km.
I cut up the 9.0 system a long time ago to show you the internal structure.

For :+1:, thank you!

6 Likes

And well you did show your GJ 9.0 sectioned out.
Proof of your concepts.
No cooler gas flow drag in that one!! (removed 9.0 system viewed at 27-30 seconds)
Best Regards
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Hello everyone!
The other day I made a trip with a length of 340 km on the GJ 10.0 system. As a result of jogging, the fact of low consumption of firewood was confirmed, in comparison with the previous systems, which I noticed immediately after the start of operation, but simply kept silent about it, unable to confirm experimentally. As a result, the consumption of firewood was 12 kg per 100 km, while gasoline would have burned out 8 l / 100 km.

11 Likes

Wow, unless my math is wrong, that looks like 3.6 miles per pound!

3 Likes

It’s incredibly good, 12 kg is probably about 20-30 km, for me.

3 Likes

Does this design still feature the hopper gas evacuation?

Great numbers. I never went under 15kg/100km

But then again! Geographical location plays a huge part. Where l live nothing is flat. Woodgas does not like that!

5 Likes

Geography has nothing to do with it, I went back and forth on the same route.

2 Likes

It does for me. I live in the mountains. Its impossible for me to ever get those numbers

5 Likes

Gentleman,
Please do not argue over this.
It matters not, absolute lowest numbers.

Overall usability should be our “game” for woodgas.
So the one that can make their installed system acceptable woman-useable by my standards will be the winner.
And so far Vesa Mikkonen is winning this bragging rights.
Why? Because he has made this a primary goal.
Or . . . maybe Finn women are tougher/smarter?

Seriously. From a life-time pride of always seeking the best life-use performance from real useable engine systems the ONLY way to measure is by the percentage of change improvements against yourself.
Only THEN are all other factors the same except for the one new change.
Because every single factor does matter. Tire pressure. The brand and model of tires. Body wind slickness. Added hauled around weights loads: extra passenger loading; additional range extending fuel-on-board; emergency tools-on-board added, etc.) Added intersection traffic control lights; new added, must-Stop signs! My particular demons.

I ALWAYS get 20% measurable better fuel consumption versus my wife in everything that uses input fuels-energy. Cars, wood stove, hot water, garden/lawn equipment’s.
Why? Because I operator-active work the systems to do this.
Ha! Maybe it is my thrifty Nordic genes. My wife has none. She is more the hot-blooded southern European.
Regards
Steve unruh

11 Likes

Agree - very good numbers.
One of the reasons has to be the the shaved head / increased compression. Also Joni, do you slip very little char?
If I remember right, best I’ve seen is with my Rabbit gasifier - 2 mpp. The Mazda manages usually about 60km on 12kg.

Mentioned these crazy Am units to son-in-law. He said: " No wonder - they even play football with their hands" :smile:

9 Likes

1Km = .62137mi
1Kg = 2.2045lb
(100Km x .62137mi/Km)/(12Kg x 2.2045lb/Kg) = 2.3489mi/lb

3 Likes

Yes we are very talented over here in the USA. Anyone that moves here seems to pick up on this. We can do things with our hands and feet at the same time. Very multitask multi tasks with the brain skills. Is it the water or food or very cold beer we drink? Lol
Bob

9 Likes

Joni, is this something that can reduce the wood consumption in an Imbert as well?

1 Like

Now I don’t have the Imbert system, and I can’t say anything specifically about reducing the consumption of firewood, regarding Imbert.
I think this economy of the tenth version is associated with the direct conversion of fuel carbon into carbon monoxide, bypassing the CO2 phase.

10 Likes

How does it work, it does not always become co2 when it burns?

1 Like

Hello JanA of cold northland.
Must H2O solid ice always turn into liquid water before it can turn into a gasious vapor?
No.
You have seen solid ice shrink and reduce in size. Direct solid to vapor shifting.
Most anyone has seen this in their home freezers to. Shrinking ice cubes. Held true 0 degrees vegetables, fruits and meats size and weight shrinking too from internal water losses. Never having a liquid phase possible.

So why not some direct from solid carbons chains to CO gaseous?
I believe.
Steve Unruh

3 Likes