Wood-fired gas generator Kolyvan 9.0 version

Yes Joni I understood from your video it was just a try-see. You even did show your “visiting” car.
Truck was not road loaded ran? No matter.
It did start. That 4.7L engine did run.
And knowing you: it could have been dialed in to power truck to useable.

I have a truck with that kind of front ground height, 5.0L. Actually two different trucks.
I have two vehicles capable of rear mounting. 2004 Toyota Camry, 2.4L. And 2007 Hyundai, 2.7L.
And I have a 2700 watt inverter generator. Will be getting a 3000 watt Inverter generator also.

My Victory hearth system could only fuel 3 of these 6. it is an honest 350-400 pounds ( 156-178 kg) completely assembled. 2 mm, 4 mm and 6 mm all stainless steel.

A faithful copy of yours ? ? ?
I expect would be useable on 5 of the 6. Maybe all of them with fuel management.

We will see, eh. I ONLY will ever raw fuel. It is what I grow, and own.
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Good morning Joni.
Do you want to show how to make your air intake, I do not get mine to work, the door becomes too sluggish.

2 Likes

Jan,
I think you just need to write to me in your native language … and I’ll translate it myself. Since the two translations greatly distort the meaning of the question.

1 Like

Jan,
Did you mean this?

Uploading: IMG_20210130_113338.jpg…

4 Likes

Yes, I think so, what do you have as a hinge, mine looks like this and goes too sluggish.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Thanks Joni, I’m going to try your idea.

3 Likes

Hi All,
I fully intend to make a Joni 9.0 copy system. And will signage/label it as such.
I got a MIG welder now capable of welding thin 24 gauge (0.06mm) SS sheet.

Now collecting up different used consumer stainless steel pieces.
These are refrigerator doors covers; SS sinks and counter tops; washing machine and clothes drier drums; even newer discarded barbeque sets. Post 2000 car exhaust systems.
These are all 3-4 different grades of stainless steels.
Here is an article that describes these different stainless steels and how to weld them.
Careful clicking onto this articles imbedded links as this IS A commercial CLICK-BAIT article.
The video embedded is safe to open up. And the main page information is good:

Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Thanks Steve, I booked marked this information.
Bob

1 Like

Friends,
I think you shouldn’t make the mistake that I made when building the gas generator version 9.0 … The fact is that I welded all stainless steel with ordinary wire in a CO² environment and this became the biggest problem in the viability of the system. The acids did their job and the welds gave up first. I highly recommend using stainless steel welding wire …

4 Likes

Hello Joni,
Yes this was understood. Best select from three different Stainless steel filler wires with the best arc shielding.

On the actual stainless steel metal here . . . three choices:
New sheet - then ALL knowns then. Knowing the most forming then needed.
New/used barrels and buckets -again mostly all knowns. With pre-shaped forms, bottoms, and rolled edges.
Previously formed scrap turned in. This is now locally ~10% of what is now being turned in. With the lowest cost - but the greatest unknowns difficulties.
S.U.

Hi All,
I just finished reading this:

It seems you want no CO2 in your shielding gas mix. In your welding puddle melt it turns the chromium into chromium carbide. Which will not prevent rusting. And is too hard and brittle.
I will read wider to corroborate this.
S.U.

1 Like

Thanks Steve
So it appears that I will be able to eventually report on the durability of the welds on my cooling rack where I used 030 steel wire to put together the 40’ of 3” - 309 SST cooling rack.

I will order up some flux core SST wire!

3 Likes

Sounds like The Plan, MichealG.
Now later welding SS metals videos the fellows are using combining Flux-core wire with also shielding gases. Duplex shielded welding they are calling this.
Then with the flux in the wire as the primary weld-melt-pool protection; they ARE using the less expensive common 75-25 argon-CO2 gas mix as the air oxygen shielding.

Ha! Ha! Belt AND suspenders keeps those pants up!
Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Imgur
Belt and suspenders means just that, real. (because of all of the pockets life-tools weight).

The half completed University of Florida research system. 2008
S.U.

6 Likes

Paid $40 for a 1 lb spool of flux cored .035 309L wire. There is nothing cheap if you build in SST.

6 Likes

Yeah. You said it.
Imagine how many tanks of special SS shielding gas it took for that big 'ol Miller TIG welder to do this production run of 2009 OffGridders:
Imgur
Imgur

I was only the engine set up; fuel prepper; development-operator man here at that time. Not the welder-man. And certailnly not the beauty polisher!!
D.I.Y. is just so much more fun and reasonably scaled.
Steve unruh

10 Likes

Wow Steve, that is so pretty and what a beautiful shine to all that stainless steel. Only when it is newly built and it has never been used does it look this good.
These units were built to last, and the craftsmanship is amazing.
What was the price tag on one of these complete gasifers units back then?
Bob

2 Likes

A modification of Marilyn Monroes famous statement:

SST is a DOW’rs best friend!

5 Likes

Hey MichealG,
I just ordered a 2 pound spool of Hobart .030 flux core ER308L from Northern Tool.
$53.xx with shipping and tax. Their Item# 1640943
Nope. Not a cheap thing to do.

BobMac I don’t know what the OffGridders sold for. Wasn’t my area.
Pretty sure this was all confidential.
The Florida University system was $50,000. But it came with the trailer. And it had a 17500 watt engine-generator. Had a 5-12-24 DC and a 115/240 AC electrical system. Two large batteries. A 50 amp battery charger and a 1000 watt inverter. (I was the electrician)
The OffGridders sold to Engineer775 and the other YouTube guy were manual systems. Only had blowers. ?? I think. Maybe grate shakers.
S.U.

4 Likes