Woodgas videos from around the world

Been there, done that too Jesse. I was always surprised that more of those houses didn’t burn from embers coming out the flue. Especially since every course had a big piece of old tar paper under it.

3 Likes

Not so scary and intimidating if you don’t care if people think you are an idiot Steve. Doesn’t bother me none. Plus everyone here has gone out of their way to be kind. Not like that everywhere. Like you, it only matters to me that people are trying to do something. Everything has a learning curve.

2 Likes

Well here is you simplest small system raw fuel system, TomH.
Any paying attention back on one of Joni’s topics there was a long vertical tube gasifier.
It had a tru from the die single center air nozzle.
It was making good flare gas.
Way back when Ben Pereson put up for a Mechanics Illustrated contest his EPS (Emergnecy Power System) pellet fed tiny gasifier. Vertical pipe with a single up the center air nozzle. Made good gas once heated up to stability.
Now throw some external insulation on this vertical tube.
Trail around with the center jet outlet. And be making good gas.
Hippy-skippy past all of the external froo-fraw. Run that produced gas just up off the bottom of a filter barrel can. Again see Joni. His vehicle system.
That’s it.
The REAL details are on the Operations side of it.
A picture page laminated flip-page manual. DO this. Don’t DO this. If This - Then that.
S.U.

I posted about cedar shingles about the making of wood products and that during WW II there must have been a standard fuel made for wood gas vehicles . I was particularly thinking of England .
The best effort I have seen on drive on wood was to chunk wood and split chunks into 4 to 6 pieces Most here work well with just chunks .

1 Like

Tom , i read the comments from the people who watched that youtube video you posted and it seems there were all amazed that he was able to run engine from wood , so its not a bad thing that it brings more interest into Gasification , its how i started after all and as soon as i saw this black magic being performed in front of my eyes i wanted to have a go , my Fema experiment did not last that long once i realized it made tar and was a hard to walk away and leave running like a charcoal machine .
Still all fun though
Dave

4 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Let’s continue here.

Henry, they sure did.
What I was refering to when I wrote “they didn’t know what they were up to”, was the monorator effect was discovered by accident.

2 Likes

This is another Swede down south running chips. A bit too much complexity for my personal taste though.

5 Likes

Just one more.
Do we know these guys? We definately share the same source of information :smile:
I have to admit though, I get a little worried when they plan on draining tar from the rear tank.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Yep. Aaron and Rae, found on here as @amurphyone

They came to visit, I helped them get it running.

6 Likes

It looks like they had two gasifiers in each trailer. I wonder if they pulled on them one at a time or together. TomC

1 Like

Hi Chris, how did you solve the problems of only one condensation tank. Tar and black water from the hopper going into the back tank? They would need a valve between the hopper and the back tank, and have it closed when running the gasifer and then open it to drain when the gasifer was shut down with only using one tank because of the cooling rails draining into the tank also.
I have a design to do this but the tank is up close to the gasifer to keep everything warm and the tank is actually two tanks in one seperate wall inside, with a crossover valve to connect them.
Bob

1 Like

Yes, I noticed at least one of the trailers had two filler lids on the hopper. Probably only one gasifier with a wide hopper that required two lids.

I bet @gasman knows. If he reads this he will set us straight if we’re wrong :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t recall exactly but it might have been what we had to fix. In any case it was not setup like that when they left my place. I also helped them with some serious air leaks.

3 Likes

I have seen various short videos showing wood-gas trucks in North Korea. This video shows the most complete treatment of the subject I have seen so far. I don’t think this has been posted here yet. Is it possible that they are running on wood-gas while the gasifier lid is open. I thought of the recent Russian video showing wood-gas tree harvesting equipment which I understand uses larger than usual pieces of wood and apparently releases steam or water vapor from a hopper vent while running on gas. I think the FEMA tar-producer draws air down through the hopper—makes me wonder. Sometimes I see these referred to as charcoal-burning, also. Another thought—could they be making charcoal in the upper part of the unit and dropping it to produce gas in the lower part?? What are your thoughts?

5 Likes

They are not concerned with smoke coming out of the top of the gasifer. They do not perform very well. When they get to a hill everyone get off the truck and pushes it up the hill? Well the ones that are still alive from all carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide smoke. Efficient I would say they are not. They use wood a lot all thier forest are cut down? Why not replant It? Trucks all belong to the goverment. On the positive note their car and vehicle emission are very low, because they don’t have any, to pollute the air. This all according to what we are aloud to see of course.
These gasifer trucks do not, or I can not see any cooling rails, filtering gases, condensation tanks, with them. Mostly because of all the smoke and fire they belching out of them. I did notice the smoke changing like when the trucks were decelerating and accelerating or when maybe they were shifting gears on the truck.
I would also think that they would know how to season wood for burning because they use wood.
Bob

4 Likes

Here are some of the best screen shot pictures I took out a dozen.
When zooming in I can see what could be cool rails in some of the picture and condensation tanks could be hidden under the trucks easily enough. Some of the gasifer barrels also have some kind of square box around it. Might be filtering box.
All of the unit are tall. Imbert Style Gasifer with bottom side clean out.

Just a idea but I can turn on my pusher blower a make my WK Gasifier behave like the one in the videos by giving it positive pressure most of the time. This might be what they are doing. This would help dry the wood and push the moisture out the top of the gasifer. The long Imbert style could also be used as a drop out area for the soot. It looked like they are pulling the wood gas from the or middle area.
The picture with bicycle and truck parked with the gasifer fire coming out the top, has a big tank in front of the back duel tires just behind the bicycle. A lot less smoke when they are moving down the road with a loose fitted lid. So they are on propose letting them vent when needed.

This truck was traveling down the road with no lid or top on the gasifer. I think it is a burning barrel style gasifer and they are pulling the gas through a grate at the bottom. Not very efficient but it works.
Bobsz

7 Likes