Woodrunner chevy

Thanks for the input guy’s, please keep it coming, :slightly_smiling_face:
As for now im leaning against make a roller, divided in three sections, just to be able to crush different sizes, without adjusting anything, just dump it in next section.
Just hit me, i think i just make two sections, coarse and fine.

3 Likes

Still some snow, and cold weather, haven’t done anything with my woodgas truck.
Instead i’ve started a little side-project, inside my little shop, the scrappy moped i posted in the “looke
what followed me home” thread has got a engine mounted, cheap chinese clone, the rim’s got some better spokes, new tires, chain is lined up, exhaust welded together, and brakes are checked.
Now it’s a little wiring, and carb mount, then it should be ready for a test drive (on gasoline) before i convert i to charcoal gas. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is somewhat a “just for fun” project, but it’s also serious, it should be usable.

10 Likes

Made some progress on the moped today, mounted foot-pegs (is that the right word?) a smaller saddle (to make space for gasifier) and rebuilt the intake, mounted a three-way ball-valve, and adapted the carb to the left side, on other side mixer goes.

Some bad pic’s i know, but it’s hard to take pic’s with fingers covered with sealing compound, without messing up the camera/phone
:roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Had some spare- time for the moped project, i decided to “divide” the gas tank, by two reasons, the lower part had some rust-pinholes, so i make it a place for ignition module, and a small battery for start-up fan. Upper part used as a gasoline “reserve”.

Always scares me to cut open fuel tanks, but with a flow of compressed air no combustible mix could take place. Has used this when welding big fuel tanks, often with a vacuum- cleaner in one end, and a air-blowing-nozzle the other.

7 Likes

Woodrunner; Good information for the group. When working on WG we all end up cutting tanks open. TomC

9 Likes

Thank you Tom, yes one cannot be too careful when cutting tanks open, i once blowed up a 55 gallon drum when cutting it with a angle grinder, even the caps where taken off, it blowed one end out, scaring the ,…,… out of me.
One year later i’ve heard about a 15 year old boy got killed doing the same thing, working at a scrapyard not long from where i lived.
:frowning:
Dangerous stuff for sure.

6 Likes

I usually fill the barrel with water if I suspect it had flammable liquids. I definitely fill propane tanks with water and then store upside down once I’ve taken the valves off with a wrench.

5 Likes

Impressively the propane tank I cut open and used for my fire tube capsule last year, the other half that I saved has been sitting in the back room upsidedown since I built my truck with no valves in it, and still to this day if you scoot it around you get the aroma of propane. I swear the stuff seeps into the metal itself

9 Likes

Yes, I also prefer water, I probably would not want to weld without having filled the tank with water.

6 Likes

It is from the Ethyl Mercaptan mandated odorant added to propane. Long term usage this leaves a jellylike coating inside of everything that flowed the propane. Good for porous sealing the insides of the flexible hoses, o-ring seals and such.
Very hard to get off of the metal’s parts. Like mixers interiors.
S.U.

6 Likes

The spring has come to my part of Sweden, soon time to start work with the truck again.
Til now i’ve had some progress with the moped, has just test drove it on gasoline, runs well, scary fast for a moped, have to install the brakes…

Now the fun part starts, convert it to chargas, i’ve done a “splice” at throttle cable from throttle-handle.

Going to start with the gas/air mixer, think im going to make a “double butterfly” like Gasman recomends.

10 Likes

Do they do flat track motorcycle racing in Sweden Goran? No brakes allowed. Do they do Ice racing? We have that here. Tires with bolts coming out of them. I would have like to do that when I was younger but my wife said if I even thought about getting another bike she would castrate me. It was a tough choice. I wish I would have been given the choice before we had those five brats.

6 Likes

Yes we have, i’ll guess it’s probably the same as we call speedway, racing in circles around an oval-shaped racing track, has became more popular again the last years. Ice-racing there are some, not much around where i live.
As for me, i prefer having some brakes, good to have if i want to stop without throwing myself to the ground. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I like the old Uphill Racing for motorcycles. Huge rear sprockets and aggressive tires. Typically no suspension.

4 Likes

@Woodrunner Did you have any other filter than the cloth filter for your Cheva?
How often did you need to clean the filter?

1 Like

Hi Jan, i’ve only have the cloth filter, ofcourse there are a water-“bubbler” after the filter, to collect condensate from cooler, this collects some of the worst soot if filter brokes during drive. Like a safety feature, when draining, and condensate are black, there is a leak in cloth.
As for cleaning, im very happy with this filter, have never cleaned the cloth, just emptying the soot collecting hopper in the bottom once a week.
This is calculated from a formula that Max Gasman posted long time ago, at old Swedish forum: GENGASDRIFT. Using the formula i came up with around 7m2 filter area for my engine, to be on the safe side i built it 13m2.
This formula was to calculate how much area needed for a filter to become self-cleaning.
I havent found the formula for now, but i will post it if i find it.

8 Likes

Yes! Please do.
S.U.

4 Likes

Do you possibly have a link to the welding cloths you used? What did you sew the cloths together with, or did you staple them together?

5 Likes

The welding blankets was the old type that Jula sold, white color, with eyelets along one side, dont know if they still have them.
Had to visit 3 different warehouses and bought everyone they got on the shelf, :laughing:
Eight ones if I remember correctly.
I sewed them together, had luck when asking at a upholsterer shop, she used to repair overalls for local firefighters, and gave me half a spool for free. :slightly_smiling_face:
Spun glass-fibre thread, resistant up to 1200°c

7 Likes

What do you think about this?
I saw in the new book that they had no more than between 4 and 7m3, even in large engines.
https://www.globaltools.se/maskiner/svetsutrustning/svetsskydd-och-svetshjalm/svetsfilt-550c-light-duty-af-obelagd-glasfiber-1-x-2-m-ljusbrun?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5tba58jc9gIVIWAAAA7