Woodrunner chevy

That is something im looking for, have found that type mesh made of brass, but i’ve heard it brass becomes brittle after some time, and i dont want any pieces of that sucked into the engine :grimacing:

2 Likes

Sawdust filter is a way to go, but im affraid it will compacting to much when running on bumpy roads?

2 Likes

With the wood gas cooming in around the outside of the bag, the cake seems too be falling off , from what i been here’ing from the other sock or bag filter guys, i think they left the bag a little loose on the cage too allow movment when off vacuum,cake fell off or shook off while driving.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the way i have it working at my truck, im really happy with it, ofcourse it become very big of a filter, but the it working well, and that makes up for ir.

2 Likes

Goran I think that with the engine pulling from above the sawdust it will fluff it back up. Give it room to expand and have hay below. I wish I had a ton of plastic sheet to experiment with this. Shop vacuum pulling on a sawdust filter and use an uneven table to simulate bumps in the road, plastic so I can observe how it acts.

3 Likes

That is probably correct, i was thinking about pulling the gas down through the sawdust, but pulling it the other way really makes sense.

4 Likes

Almost all snow gone where i live, 10°c time for short-sleeved shirt, coffee in the garden with Daisy and Ellie.

Nice and dry under the truck, could crawl under to cut off the old condensate collector, to reach the last bolt, holding the gasifier in place.

Then time for lift-off, when up in the air, the gasifier tilted around, scaring the ×××× out of me, and emptying itself, no trouble with that then.

Thanks to this stupid summer- and winter-time we use here, i now have one hour more of daylight after work, going to start disassembling this week.

10 Likes

Do you not think sawdust slips too wet if you run on firewood?

3 Likes

Goran, Fergie is behind the fence, is he yours? Obviously, there are many of these tractors in your area as well. It has a petrol or diesel engine. You Swedes are a hardworking and industrious nation.

5 Likes

I dont think it should be a problem, maybe during freezing temperatures, during war they mostly used “träull” “krollsplint” wood-wool, excelsior? It was a good thing then it collected moisture, when saturated it dripped down into bottom collector.
I used one of them war-time filters (Hesselman) on my old Volvo, because it’s hard to get wood-wool nowadays i used lecakulor, (leca balls) it worked satisfactory, could have been better, but a Volvo B20 seems to just eat soot. Never got clogged in the intake, wich seems strange?

6 Likes

THERE is some of that screen filter sheet form i was thinking about haveing,I saved that too my reading list till ready too buy or price around, LOOKS like they have lots of mesh size choices, THANKS. MIGHT have too experiment on mesh size, I not sure on that mesh size.I got quit a bit of shinny black soot in intake through my hay filter,that seem too burn , some guys add a 1 inch foam seat materiel above the hay ,too add more filtering after hay filter.THEN you need a easy remove hay filter top too clean the foam peice if needed.

2 Likes

Yes it’s my Fergie, they are often called “grålle” in Sweden a nickname for grey, “greyie” but some owner before me probably had some “John Deere complex” and painted it green and yellow.
This became very popular tractors in Sweden due to many small farms, where it could replace the horse.
This one is a petrol/kerosene engine, common in Sweden due to kerosene was really cheap in the fifties and sixties.

8 Likes

Goran, this is perfect for installing a gasifier, … I see that you are very busy, just like me, but this kind of projects are waiting :grinning:

5 Likes

Hi Tone, i have thought about that, but this one being a kerosene engine makes it more work, very low compression ratio in these, maybe around 4:1?
But, i have an old Volvo tractor that i’ve already started to think about to convert, it’s a kerosene engine to, but i have to take the engine apart anyway, because of a leaking cylinder lining (dont know if it’s the right word for it?)
Also i have a almost complete war-time gasifier for a tractor.

5 Likes

That’s OK Goran. Now that I thought about it I’d like to gasify the piece of crap Honda Fourtrax I can’t seem to get running, just to try out an ice cooled sawdust filter like that. List gets longer again.

4 Likes

Have you received the book Göran?
Was interesting that what difference there was on the wear on the engine, if you have a cloth filter or some other filter, cloth filter seems very good.

2 Likes

Hi Jan, i haven’t got the book yet, he send it friday, so i really looking forward to get it this week. Anyhow i’ve read some of them reports about engine wearing, it was part of what encouraged me to build a filter that way.

2 Likes

Have done som woodgas-work last days, started the charcoal gasifier build for the moped, going to use an old fire extinguisher for the gasifier, dont decided yet if im going central nozzle or “Mako” style.
Somebody that can recomend a suitable size for a central-nozzle for this 125cc engine?
By they way, im going downdraft.

Fire extinguisher, safety gauge showed red/empty, guess who got a surprise when opening up the extinguisher and it was full of powder, and the co2 cartridge was full pressurized? :laughing:

Going to use the top-part connection, weld it at side/bottom for ash cleanout door.

8 Likes

Some update on the big gasifier, today i separated the fuel hopper from the bottom part/hearth

The hearth has survived really well from, maybe, 5-6 years use.

Restriction looks good also, i cut it out from a scrap-piece of Hardox steel, plate for repair/reinforcement of excavator buckets, almost 1/2 inch thick.

Fuel hopper from below.

Here should be a opening for moisture/steam to get up between inner and outer wall of condensing hopper.

8 Likes

Goran what do you think will be the RPM at cruising speed? My best guess is maybe 10mm. Or 8mm.

2 Likes