Yanmar clone 400cc diesel and charcoal

Thanks Kristijan, but I think I will pass. For two reasons:
First of all, you can make someone really happy with that car. Someone that actually uses it every day.
Second, I don’t know where this road is leading me. Ten years ago I was searching for an energy solution for my family. I met Dutch John, he talked me out of it (he was right at that moment), he learned me a lot anyways. It got back to me when I designed a bunker for sawdust ( the subject never really left my mind). So, the rest you can follow on this forum. Started with sawdust ended with charcoal. I think that will be the road for me, but everything can change. Maybe a diesel and spark conversion, who knows. First my last experiments have to settle in my brain. Get that Lister running first, before any onther projects. I really like the idea of keeping the Seat in the family (it is a kind of family here), but I dont think it will become reality soon.
Long story short, thanks for the offer, really, but better make someone else happy. Thanks.

2 Likes

Joep Kruijssan make all your energy endeavors about Outputs and Inputs.

The Outputs you need to make are for your consumptions demands.
You can always work on those. Once was compact florescent replacement lights.
Now generation 4 L.E.D.'s common now screw in’s.
Home sealing. Home insulation. Drive less trips. Drive only for combined/stacked up reasons.
American/Canadian was easy to in-step’s; to cut Outputs needs in half. Done that now. My European relatives never did have the North American energy habits. Much more expensive for them to make reductions needs equivalents. They have always been energy use skinny.

Now base energy Possible’s Inputs:
What energy sources do you actually have available to work with locally/regionally??
By my value system wood stocks chips from across and ocean is no different then Dino fuels from across the ocean. That supply can; and will get; unplugged, any time, for many reasons.

And the true American/Canadian advantage is a continental wide agility to move where you have better available Local/Regional base energy inputs to work with.
Wife and I are going to do that now in stages in the next 2 years. Uproot everything and move.
HERE in our home valley we are forced to disconnect from out private water well. Then pay to use Public supply water. Forced. Moving we can get back to deep well sourced personally owned water.
Here, in our corner of home Yacolt valley we will soon be forced to millions $'s invest in a central sewage treatment plant. And have a new monthly out-going bill of $125-175.
Moving four river drainage valleys to the North (100 door to door miles) the population drops from 278 people per square mile to 78 people per square mile. We will be able to stay having a gravity flush in-ground septic system. Just takes 1 1/2 gallons of flushing water to operate. NO electricity. All new septic systems here in Yacolt valley are mandated with two electric mini pumps and one air blower driven. Need a daily electrical wattage usage. Need annual inspection. Often three years equipment’s replacements.

Up THERE the property, and adjacent areas are 50% hardwood maples and alder trees.
There I can too, local make engine fuel charcoal.
I’ll be moving up 3-4 old liquid fuels steel storage tanks to make my own Kristijan Kurst-type charcoal maker. Ha! Good way to use up these old “hazardous waste” tanks.
Steve unruh

10 Likes

Joep, today I looked at a similar engine to the one you have on the generator.
The speed regulator is made outside with springs and levers, and below is the M 10 screw, which limits the movement of the lever for the amount of fuel injection, it is very easy and convenient to do this.

2 Likes

Ah the woodgas seed is beginning to sprout and soon to bloom.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr Steve.

Our energy use is average. With a family of five and business. Every light is changed to led. Shop has movement detection ( I always came back from work late, collegues left and light was still burning). These changes cut the bill in half. Changed freezer to A+++ and another 1000 kWh. The only thing that bothers me is the dust extraction system on the plasmacutter. The filters are pulscleaned by pressure, that cost a lot of air. And air is very very expensive. I build this one 15 years ago and never changed the filters. One of these days they have to. Maybe I build a mechanic cleaned system. It wil save a few 1000 kWh.

Heating is ok. Around 2000 m3 natural gas or 4 ton pellets. Big house, full in wind. Corona forces my wife to work at home, so heating every room every day.

Septic systems are very unusual here. I am thinking to build one on our small landplot to have a toilet there. Combined with that big grass to infiltrate ( cant find the right name now). I remember Dutch John getting connected to presure sewage. He got very angry about that. And he has every right. Cant fight the big boys. Go with the flow. You are going to move? Gonna be a big adventure to move? At least I will never do that again. You cant move an old tree.

Wood is the best energy source. If it is not from my clients in the timberindustry it is from my own land.

Pellets or wood draged around the world is insaine. Last months I sold everything to make pellets. Way to labour, energy and materialintensive. Did that , been there, etc, now time to move on.
Heating system is almost done and the way I want it. Last step is chp.

And everything is hobby. I can/ may do what I want. As long as it doesnt stink, make noise and as long as the lights keep burning if you flip the switch and heating starts if you turn the thermostat.

6 Likes

Ha! Thanks, interesting! Cant be to hard to fix that. It feels a little like cheating, burning woodgas AND diesel.

2 Likes

Me and Tone had an interesting talk today. A diesel consuming almost nothing at idle/pilot ignition, it may even be superior to a woodgas converted petrol engine, due to higher efficiancy. Lets not forget, hybriding is a thing and EVERY practicaly oriented woodgaser does it. But there might just be a huge difference between petrol hybriding and diesel hybriding…

I am still sceptical of drive characteristics, but anctious to see in real life!

6 Likes

Yes, compression ratio drives me to diesel. Only driving is electric at the moment, to complex to build a gasifier in my Vito. Already to little space. So driving characteritics you wont receive from me. The little woodgas I fed the clone made me happy, it sounded a lot less metalic. I have to go out for the dog and finish my work for tonight. I wil make a quick pic of the Lister. A beauty and screaming to wake up.

1 Like

Simple engine build to last. Electric motor is direct coupled. Lister is rated 30 hp-1800rpm. KISS.
Watercooled. No idea if the engine is ok or not, didn’t try yet. Started collecting fire extinguishers.

Ha! Maybe there is a chance to show some . Gasket got blown of the Kubota. This one might be converted. The flail mower is a little to big for this little devil. On top of that a bearing god bad, this was to much. He needs more weight on the nose anyway. He can’t loose any power with the big mower behind it. Ha, now the big thing is to find some time. Three installations in the shop waiting to be delivered , when ? Last week please. Hmm, no plc’s, no steel… Next month…hmm money money, hobby hobby

7 Likes

Ok. Kubota is fixed again, but it is indirect injected. Useless to try to woodgas it?

Thanks Tone for pump tip Yanmar clone. It keeps spinning in my head. Easy enough to try

3 Likes

Joep, just to mention, the limiting screw has a spring dowel in the middle, which is not the best, you can easily replace it with a regular screw.
Fuel injection into the vortex chamber has many advantages over direct injection, the nozzle has only one jet, the large opening allows the use of a variety of fuels such as frying oil, waste engine oil, … but we must admit that such engines are due to larger combustion chamber areas a little less efficient, but on wood gas they would definitely work well.

4 Likes

I don’t see how IDI would hurt it running on woodgas. The diesel would be mixed well with the woodgas.
My only question would be do you leave the air intake wide open as a typical diesel works and instead have a throttle for the woodgas line? Or throttle the fresh air with woodgas wide open?
I know in the old diesel trucks the emergency shutoff covers the air intake to suffocate the engine.

4 Likes

I read it somewhere, I dont know why. Yanmar ran fine. Air was a little restricted first time. Now all open and a little woodgas. All new to me and trying to get the feeling. Looks good so far. Main problem was no shaking of the gasifier and ran empty in the middle. Extra reason to try the next one on the Kubota. If there is any decrease in power, I cant cut the grass. So good test for powerloss on woodgas

6 Likes

I am way behind in this thread. But as I read this and looked at the photo I wondered if anyone had ever looked at using something like this with engine exhaust to make charcoal? It seems like that heat and lack of Oxygen would work to reduce wood to charcoal. Just a random thought which hit me seeing that photo

4 Likes

Only problem is what do you do with the smoke? If you could sustain a flare then we would have something may re direct to add more heat or use for CHP / hot water heater. But you could certainly using this exhaust heat to pre-dry the fuel prior to kiln process. That makes a big different on yield and quality of the char.

4 Likes

No Dan, not the plan to make charcoal The plan is to filter the exhaust gases with charcoal Partial succes, filtering was super but after one hour the filter got to hot and started burning. So cool the gas first then filter.

4 Likes

Well, lets call it a day. Good days, bad days. It has been a busy week. And the Yanmar keeps bugging me.

Everyday I am surprised that this all works. 3d drawing, unfold, postprocess and cut. Childsplay. Only the child cannot design. Bold pattern for motor wrong and forgot to offset the axis. Time for some playing outside now.

Scrap plate and a 3 kW motor that came from an installation. Just wait and material is coming to you, only patience.

5 Likes

Now I call it a day. Weekend. Start cleaning the shop.
Couldnt leave it like this. Bad feeling to start the weekend. As a gift I took an old ventilator. Put some pipes around and pour concrete in it, so it can act as a flywheel. How long should that dry? I dont like it to explode.

2 Likes

I wonder how well a calcium filled flywheel would work!

1 Like

Ha! Ha! We call this, “Two Steps Forward . . . One Step Back”.
Perseverance. Persistence. Wins out in the end.
Regards
Steve unruh
(Opps. Edit correction. Was Back-ass-wards. S.U.)

4 Likes