Your Dream Gasifier Project

I will start it off with my dream project.
1953 International Truck Gasifier. (Minus the trailer)

Now it is 68 years later but still worthy to wear a gasifer.

It Needs a little work but very little rust on it just dried water moss on the suface that gives it the classic look. Need to check out the wiring and get a 6 volt battery for it. Other things needed Coil, rotor and cap, spark plugs, oil change non-detergent shell Rotilla oil. And a good steam cleaning. That reminds me @mggibb Mike I need to come over a pick up the steam cleaner I bought from you.

20210920_154743|666x500

The pictures say it all. Nice truck to put a Gasifier on.
6 cylinder engine, with a Holly single barrel Carburetor and oilbath filter. The interior needs a little TLC , it even has the lever under the dash to pull for the hood scoop A/C at top speed that you can get out of it.
It sure will not be a go fast truck on wood gas. 93 horsepower net at 3400 rpms. And that is on gasoline. Anyway it is my dream and I can look at it every day. We all need a dream project. Put your dream gasifier project here on this thread and let us all see it. Who knows we might have some free spare parts for you too.
If you start building on it then make a tread of the build you are going and link to the thread site. Now lets see your dreams. Thank you.
Bob

15 Likes

I’d settle for any year of C10 Chevy or GMC. Something with a 350sbc and a long bed so I don’t compromise too much bedspace.
Maybe in a Mako type reactor or a WK if I went raw wood.
A coworker has a roller chassis but he hasn’t given me a price for it. Fleetside 68 long bed Chevy.

Another dream gasifier would be to make a “Going To Town Rig”, spacious 4 door sedan with a good V8 in it, reactor in the trunk either hidden with the trunk bonnet or exposed, but I would want clean line of sight through the backglass. The Nova 2 looks like a good candidate, or a Jaguar if I could find one without rusted floorboards.

3 Likes

Hi Cody, put up some pictures of these dreams.
Bob

3 Likes

Here’s some photos of a 68 Fleetside and a 64 Nova Sedan.
1968-chevrolet-c10-longbed-50th-anniversary-edition-7
1968-chevrolet-c10-longbed-50th-anniversary-edition-1
images(6)
2Q==(2)
9k=(5)

7 Likes

My Son has a 65 nova 400 hp 350 cu. In. Engine, never will see a gasifer on it.
Nice dream cars and truck. Thanks for posting them.
Bob

4 Likes

This would be mine

9 Likes

Well not a dream like the classic vehicles others have posted, but still…
Truck is in pretty good shape. Has 3L v-6 5 spd manual trans, so good power use. My dream is to build a completely incognito unit, probably hidden in a steel toolbox. Would need to be a low profile like Kristijans seat. Its probably always going to be just a dream, because wifey will rebel at me spending that much time on a “useless project”

9 Likes

When my wife wants to know what I wasting my time on now I just tell her that at least she always knows where I am and I never come back drunk. It’s just a matter of putting lipstick on a pig Andrew.

How hard is it going to be to get parts for that engine Bob?

8 Likes

Well at what’s now happening with fuel prices soon it will be practical not a useless project Andy for all who can do it like you. My Dodge Dakota is worth $100,000.00 to me if I wanted to sale it which I don’t. But if gas prices double and they will, the price on the truck will be 4 times that it is now. And I still will not sale it. I will be building other vehicles to sale at that price. Lol you think I am crazy? Well I never thought a little view lot to build a house on in this area where I live would sale for $200,000.00 and the people were bidding for it back and forth. Now that is CRAZY! The great exodus of people leaving the West side of the state in the Seattle area is happening by the thousands every month.
Yes it is a very nice dream truck and it is yours to make it a reality. I am thinking on the same incognito too. I am building it on paper my auto feed box for a low hopper design. Working out the details first before building it. It has to be super KISS in design and that is the hard part for me.
Bob

6 Likes

Don, what kind of a engine did they put in that truck?
Bob

3 Likes

When it was new?; or restored?
Straight 6 when new I’m sure.

2 Likes

I have more dreams then the number of rain drops in a rain storm.

Full-Image

11 Likes

Oh yes that one, like Don’s would be cool to seeing a Gasifier hanging on it.
Bob

2 Likes

Well Tom, my Daughter Millie works in for a family own parts NAPA store. She is pretty good on finding parts that are hard to find.
It is a 6 volt system and it would be better to change it over to 12 volt. I am going to build my own wire harness for it anyways so might as well change over to 12 volts. The 6 volt generator will need some work before even thinking of trying it out. 12 volts will be the easiest way to go. Put some resistors in for the gauges that still work or replace with new ones. I am not trying to restore it to like new , it will be a custom WK truck build. The engine would be better if it were the big V-8 That International Motor Truck had in the bigger trucks like the R-165 models.
How about a Dodge V-10 with a automatic transmission dropped in, that would make it move down the road. Just Dreaming but it is a nice dream.
Bob

5 Likes

The swap was what I was thinking Bob. 93 HP. I was getting that out of a Harley in 1969. Won’t be any syncro’s in that trans. I never really understood that double clutching stuff. If it hasn’t run for a while then you will probably have rust in the bores. I know people rebuild those old engines but who would make a head gasket for that. A bunch of wood gas stuff came up while I was looking at You-tube last night and one was of a truck that looked like that. It was green. I couldn’t link it because I was watching on TV and I can’t find the right video today.

3 Likes

Alternator conversions are easy. Done a few of them. Many years ago I was a member of an IHC club. Lots of information. Not sure if they are still around.

4 Likes

I’ll also add this one. A really nice truck, but needed more work then I can handle right now. Need to keep my projects under control. :grinning:

6 Likes

Well no going-forth pictures on My Dream Gasifier Project . . . yet.
Lots of attempts. Short dead-end roads tried. Some were pictures from the last 14 years. Most all flushed now out in the past.

I’d dreamed of back then of a fire-up and stabilize; then walk-away; operating unattended, four hours electrical generating station fueled by wood.
I had decades earlier evolved to be able to do this in-house woodstoving, safely, and with drive-away, peace-of-mind. Coming home the house would still be standing. The live-one’s inside; still alive.

14 years. Many systems and engine-generators combo’s tried; and just not stable enough. Not safe enough to be unattended. Not enough safety from a tared up system and engine.
And in that 14 years newer, better, possibilities have now evolved.
A now off-the-shelf 7000 watt Honda Inverter-Generator.
Large self settling hopper wood charcoal system fuel feeding it.
One of the real important reasons we are now property relocating is to have the on-site better trees to be able to make the engines grade charcoal. Big leaf maples and Red Alder trees.

It helps to make dreams become real IF THEY TRUELY SERVE A PURPOSE.
Mr Wayne Keith works his systems for his daily needs.
Practicality before, O-o-o-hRahs.
S.U.

8 Likes

This here is my 68 K20 long box with missing box, cab corners, floor boards and a bunch of other things that have rotted or fallen off. LOL Yeah she is a real beauty right there.

I am collecting sheet metal to completely redo the floor boards, rockers, cab corners etc. I have new doors along with fenders as well. This winter Im going to try and get the cab completely restored going with an off white two stage paint and with soda blasted trim. Everything on this beast is heavy duty. More than likely will fab up a flat bed to get it on the road but ultimate goal will be to find a box for it.

However this is not the wood gas truck it may get one. But I want to get this road worthy as my daily driver and my S-10 will be the truck that will get the wood gas system. The plan with that is to remove the box and build an integrated camper onto and it will have a huge charcoal gasifier integrated into it with with charcoal process heater system. It will get the solid front axle Yoda drive train I have with 5 speed manual. The K20 has a 283 in it that will get yanked out and mated to that Yoda drive train and Ill LS Swap the K20.

8 Likes

Never seen a camo job like that before.

3 Likes