Gilmore style?

The staff of the provincial ministry of energy wanted to be on the foto…

You are doing a great job over there. Two comments; For esthetics, you should try to give the front end a little more of a “American Chopper” look And, in the straight on picture of the trike, I see in the back ground many vehicles waiting for you conversion. Thank you for sharing your work with us.TomC

i to prefer the American Chopper look, but here they don’t, yet :wink:
working on a plan to modify those on the background, part of my class “modify your dinofuel consumer” into “drive on wood”

is helping, rather than hindering your efforts.

yeah, it must have to do something with my looks… :wink:

They had me surprised today,
building the dual with a ic engine and a home made pmg
i just can say wow…
can t wait for seeing it running

Not so often that i have seen such speed between idea and realisation…
bottom left is their home made permanent magnet generator, 3 phase…
middle honda GX160, right the dual gasifier with plastic pyrolyses, fumes feed back to the bottom nozzle…
students are enthousiastic…
i am enjoying them, every day more…
this is life…

Its a wide open search for free energy,lots of motor configerations out of my study capacity.I think electric is the auto of the future.even the pope of rome said some thing of that efect few years back.mean time SWEM.

Koen; What is the white hose that comes off the very top and goes to the very bottom? And why have they added a heat shield around the tank? Does it get hot? They/you aren’t using any cooling such a water or exhaust gas? This is a “how come” question; “How come”??TomC

The white hose is moving fumes from the burning plastic into the air intake of the charcoal gasifier. For Tom:

What sort of plastic are you heating in the inner tank? Here, our plastic bottles have a little triangle (formed by three arrows)on the bottom with a number inside. Milk jugs are HDPE or High Density Polyethylene with a “2”. See http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/SWS/CurbIt/Recycling/Documents/Plastic1-7%20final.pdf I thought burning plastics was very dangerous because the fumes could contain hydrogen cyanide (HCN). Also, if burning PVC atmospheric problems are created when the compound forms as a combustion byproduct, e.g. the vinyl component in polyvinyl chloride (PVC) reacts with the nitrogen in the atmosphere or another nitrogen compound. The vinyl chloride donates the hydrogen and carbon, any ammonia donates some nitrogen and more hydrogen, and the fire provides the energy to fuel the reaction. A related reaction can also generate hydrochloric acid (HCL) gas, using hydrogen and the chlorine component.
I have been trying not to burn any sort of plastic, and instead haul it to a recycling center where it is graded by the numbers stamped into the bottle. How will you clean out that inner container? Could it contain dioxins? Where will you dump the residue? Are you sure this is safe? Some towns are passing laws prohibiting single use plastic bags, so we bring our own cloth bags to the grocery store. I am sure you have checked this out. What did you find?

I’d keep away from incinerating any type of plastic.

I use the same rule for burning that I do for food - don’t eat or burn anything won’t rot. Things like LDPE produce bags, HDPE milk jugs, Pop-Tarts, Snicker bars, etc.

The shield is more esthetic then functional since the heat is in the bottom part.
The set can be adapted in many ways; egr, waterdrip is foreseen. Also the gas from the plastic can be rerouted .
The inner tank also has an drain plug that can also funtion to only “melt” the plastic for other uses.

Many future aspects are dealt with, but not shown in this picture ( temperature control and so on )
This unit should function as example for whats possible with scaled up versions and what you can do with some technology they not use yet.
The inner core’s function is a pyrolyse unit, no air or combustion inside that tank, no burned fumes there… residue is carbon black like and can be used as color pigment for plastic.
This unit is designed to use polyethylene and polypropylene plastics, since the dwell time in the gasifier is only short and their further crack down easy. These plastics are easy to sort out since they float in water, all the others sink due their higher density.
The pyrolyse gas could be used directly, or even pyrolyse oil could be formed.
But since this is just a demo unit, to show local people that there are better ways to deal with plastic beside just burn it in open garbage dumps.
Its a first small step in education an a long road ahead…

Gasification , in second stage, does eliminate any polutants present, the most dangerous component in plastic is chloride, mostly used in pvc, what leads to dioxines if not proper been taking care of in one stage burning processes.
Controlling temperature in the gasification and the dwell time are optimal in the kind of gasification i use here.
Other dangers are the heavy metals used in color stabilizers from old plastics, mangane is one as example, Also remember that here most plastic comes from china, who knows whats more in it, future will tell.
In this system pollutants are not burnt but remain in the carbon residue, and can be confined in future recycled plastics. Also many components present in this carbon are used for producing toner powder for laser printers.

Plastic recycling is one of my core competences where as gasification is my second field. I ave been asked to design this reactor for this purpose. The funny thing is that my wife came with the idea to put the inner reactor where it is now, my thinking was far more complicated already :wink: so the credit for the succes in this dual, goes to her…
I have the same concerns as any normal thinking person, is it safe ?
My answer to that is simple: a gun is safe if not handled by an idiot and a the pen is not responsible for the error written.
I create a tool, might be not the best tool, many persons can make better tools, but even my tool does improve a current system: burning uncontrolled just to get rid of the waste, must be stopped.
It starts with education, the best education is show them how it can be done in a a for them profitable way…

wow, this was a long one… sorry i got dragged away

1 Like

Missed your post,
I sure can agree with your point of view…
The waste is there, they burn it in open air, so … i try to teach them other ways…
Using and combining green waste and biomass gassification with plastic waste does have potential and sure is a better way then what’s been done in the past here…

Looking from another perspective, 7 adults on the trike…

what are all those moto bikes along the road side, looks like commend transporttation? are you planning a small truck on wood.I would dam near get run over in this country with that type transit,even on dirt roads.all though i know its in its concept stage’es.

Take it easy on those little back tires. Good publicity is hard to come by. Bad publicity travels like wild fire.

For the transport tomorrow
School’s organizing provincial innovation day, 3 out of 4 are ready, the little cart isn’t
Had to build the Dual fuel with engine and PMG first, was not ready with the cart in time (but almost…)
the 2 cooking units are not on this pictures but the new central fired TLUD stove is

Taking the trike for a quick noodle soup

Koen, thanks for posting. What is the black thing on the white stand near the Trike? Also, is your TLUD stove using a Thermo Electric Generator (TEG) to power the fan? What fuel will this stove use? Rice Hulls, perhaps? Looks like these projects are keeping you very busy.

The black thing is a hydro-generator charges your phone if you flush the toilet or take a shower :wink:
The credit for that idea and also for the TLUD is for my friend , teacher, head of the research department. Hell of a guy with awesome teacher skills.
The students build the projects with our help and have to present them with the supporting documentation they have to write
For the TLUD he used new idea’s to approach, i just supported him.
It has a TEG installed and can burn Rice husk and other small dry biomass ,
Last 3 months have been very bussy indeed (7/7) but i am loving it