Life goes on - Summer 2018

Some sort of Lemon Tea? Maybe Brewing Kombucha Tea? Interesting cooker.

Is that queen Anne’s Lace?

or Lemon and Chamomile?

Ha, good guesses :smile: its actualy elderberry flower syrup. Mix 1/7 with water to make a wery refreshing drink.

The cooker. Its intended for coocking beets and potatoes for the pigs but was never used for that. Its all stainless, 60l (15gal-ish) and is actualy next in line for a woodgas conversion! Its destiny is to brew some delicious ale, aybee eavel lager since l have a cool enough cellar now.

3 Likes

If you pick the elderberry flowers you must not get the elderberries later? That stuff would have to be really good to sacrifice the elderberries I would be shot on sight around here for picking them before there where berries…

Well elderberry is literaly like a weed here. It grows everywhere whith a insane pase and is wery hard to eliminte. Not compaining :slight_smile:
This bush grows just few steps from my dootep

7 Likes

It must be at the lower limits for it here it is around but just enough that we value it not to the extent you have it.

My Grandfather made Elderberry blossom wine when I was a kid, I would sneak a little, it was good

Never heard of using the flowers for syrup. We made wine with berries, but not as many around as there used to be. Not sure why…Kinda like hollow trees, not too many of those around anymore either. Hmmmm.?? Maybe all the roundup-ed fence lines have knocked down the elderberry population…>? That’s where we usually find them…

2 Likes

Hi, you might want to use something like wax for your pattern. Bees wax or the red wax used to seal cheese is wonderful. Easy to work with and repair. You can then make a mold from the wax pattern to cast disposable patterns for the lost wax process. Plaster can be used as the mold.

1 Like

Black Elderberry is named Sambcus Negra. In VERY extensive testing it has been proven to be anti-VIRUS. Nothing else in a pharmacy is anti-virus. Everything is anti-bacterial. It is sold under the trade name of “Sambuco”. It is very effective against influenza. It is a good idea to have some on hand because the flu seems to be getting worse and worse.

3 Likes

This has been an extraordinary Maj. Third week of mid 70s (25C) temps. Not a drop of rain in all that time. Daily warnings and fire bans on the news. Schools still have a couple of weeks to go. Poor children.
To hot to do much useful. DOWing in circles with windows down to create a breeze.
On the + side, wood is drying fast :smile:

4 Likes

Come on now, dont be bashing Mcdonalds, i always go there when i need a Mclaxative lol

4 Likes

Very similar here, we went straight from winter to summer, the plants insects and animals all seemed very confused, out of sync. Also no moisture since the last snow (till today, 8mm, not nearly enough with temperatures reaching low to mid 30s…

High fire risk, and northern forests are burning…

6 Likes

Gee Garry, you must be my neighbor. That’s precisely how I would sum it up here too.

3 Likes

Seems we are all neighbours then :smile:

4 Likes

Yup here in NH it was a short spring as well. We seemed to have only gotten a few days of 60s and 70s F here and we are seeing 80s now. It seems to me the heat is at least a month early this year combine that with late season snow and spring seems to be non existent. I often wonder how much of that is just me being busy but I am sure it is hot for the time of year.

2 Likes

Life goes on… but the tractor does not :smile:

9 Likes

Well you remember April started out as April fool :grin:

1 Like

Oregon has also been strangely dry - less than a fifth of an inch in May (the norm is 2 and a half). Has not been a heat wave exactly, but its very odd to see the ground drying and the weeds slowing down this early on.

4 Likes

We had a couple of dry weeks. Just enough to make the potatoes bloom early and kill off the peas. Lettuce almost bolted but then we started a week of rain. Unusual amount of insects given the cold winter. ??? Looking forward to Argos…

2 Likes