Life goes on - Summer 2021

Possessions are just what they are. Nothong more. Less is more. It is difficult to live how I preach.

One story about our apple farmer in our village. One day I am standing in his store, his son comes rushing in, they are stealing apples, they are stealing apples. I try to raise the fire a little, yes Jan, they are stealing your apples. He stays cool and just says, the person who steals, is a thief. Good lesson, i still remember and repeat.

It is difficult to stay cool if you catch the thief. As long as you didnt catch him, it is just a thief. At the end he has to answer for his deeds, not you.

I hope I helped a little. This helps me anyway.

7 Likes

IMG_1378

While I on my front porch ( veranda as JO would call it ) and coyote eyeing my chickens she forgot all about my 2nd amendment constitutional rights.

13 Likes

If it ain’t too flea bitten it would make a good floor pelt!

4 Likes

Mr Wayne! This must be the one that got away from the trap the day we met :wink:

Seems they all make that same mistake, thinking you lost your edge over the years. They could not be more wrong…

7 Likes

Ha! I still keep trying to force this topic into Winter.
We’ve had two days straight of 4.0 inches of raining. “Pineapple Express”. This after only a two day break from 14 days raining averaging .5 inches a day.
Yep. Full grounds saturation now. Localized roads flooding.
All of the local rivers are at near overtopping flood now.
Turns out the GMC G3500 box van is the high water recovery vehicle for us.
Takes slow-go 18 inches of standing water without a problem.
Does 60-65 mph on the Interstates in heavy driving rain, and low-side lanes puddling with zero pulling. Zero hydroplaning. Has the road hugging weight applied with relatively narrow tires.
Did not get it for this high water ability.
Did not expect this capability.
Ha! All this dry cubic hauling capability and the wife has found she can full shopping cart load up between the seats. She get nervous if there is refrigerator or dry goods shelves spacing.
Regards to all.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Yep did flood rides last night shuttling dad’s neighbors across the waters with the ol V10. Spent a small fortune in fuel to do it too…

5 Likes

Yup, when we are getting heavy rains here on the dry side of the East of Cascades range of the mountains you, Mike ,Steve, and all the rest over there are being flooded with rains. 15% Rain fall max over here. I hope you keep your feet dry.
Bob

4 Likes

Life goes on - Winter 2021-22 . We have snow in the mountains and I am not going swimming in the river any more this year. Fall’s departure is apon us a winter is coming forth. Back in the North East it is locked in upon them all ready. Down South you should be in the rainy season like the the Northwest coast area. It is time to change the title. @Chris thank you. How about a up date on your family and home stead of what you have been doing?
Bob

4 Likes

Wayne pulled our leg back then, Kristijan. Now he’s pulling the coyote’s :smile:

6 Likes

If you shot that from your veranda Wayne then your eyes are way better than mine.

Snowing here. Certainly doesn’t see like summer any more.

5 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom

I think that was a lucky shot .

I have shot a couple of times this morning missing both times :disappointed_relieved:

9 Likes

Lucky is not so bad Wayne. For distance I shoot a 8MM Mauser. I can’t afford the ammo to sight that in. Same with my .35 Cal Marlin. I use a sight bore but I don’t have any confidence it’s good beyond a hundred yards. I’m better with a shot gun.

3 Likes

I use my AR for anything inside 300 yards, anything within 100 I shoot my 7/8oz Lee key drive slugs loaded from target loads. Brings up the velocity a little going from 1 1/8oz shot to a 7/8oz slug and they are front heavy so they fly like a shuttlecock in badminton. Works great in my smoothbore pump.

300 yards is about the furthest shot i could ever take, all the hills get in the way.

2 Likes

Moved here to keep the video thread clean.

I admire Werner’s persistence. If I had to do that kind of maintence my DOWing would probably been over with years ago.
If he for some reason had to empty the heart, why didn’t he just fill char from the top?
I will always be grateful to Wayne’s simplifying tips and tricks.

8 Likes

I was thinking the same thing JO. Took me a while to figure out he was packing char on to his grate early on and then with the amount of smoke coming out of his flare tube it seemed like that radiator cooler would plug up real quick. I think he never gets his hands clean. When Jacob was here he scrubbed his hands for a good while and never did get all the black off them.

Just looked at SteveU’s post from the other thread. Thanks for the statement about the ember catcher. I had no clue what that thing was for. Mr Werner seems a little rough shod for a European. If I would have understood the language I would have taken him for one of us gritty Americans.

8 Likes

Even not able to understand more than 10% of his words, Werners expressive body language says much.
He is using the best of the late 1940’s systems base. So should not be surprising he has to 1940’s hearth system char’s maintain.
Full dump out. Separations. Manual reloading.
L-o-o-o-g starting up time he set himself up for. But hey! The “old” system did power a modern largish V-8 auto system.

His high velocity flows char-soots ember-catcher/utilizer . . . that is all Werner.
Just like each Developer set up their own style based on their own location, needs, demands and desires.
For maintenance needs I still say VesaM takes the prize.
And should be pretty obvious now that WayneK’s System IF DONE Faithfully take’s the prize for wet wood capability.
Joni’s system the prize for lightest true raw woodgas weight.
Kristijans’ and emulators; takes the prize for compactness. (hideabilty!)

Ha! You can have ONE, maybe two excellences at a time.

Even more interesting to me is watching this video on YouTube the original poster’s youtube channel and additional videos. Niklas. “Omstallinigsresan”
HE’s the one who made up the bi-color woodgasssed Volvo car shown.
Paul O’Brian had made a real interesting find posting this up.
Thanks Much
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

Taking the jump to quit nicotine. Cold turkey. It’s been 20 hours and I could bite someone’s head off right now.

Turns out that vaping is worse for your teeth than drinking Mountain Dew and chainsmoking cigarettes.

7 Likes

You stick with it Cody. I can’t introduce you to the people in my family that eventually died as a direct result but I do have a homesteading buddy that can no longer walk more than 50 feet at a time and has to carry oxygen with him to do that.

5 Likes

Tom, this makes me question how do you preceeve Europeans :joy:

Cody, l wuld guess so too. Only time will tell how harmfull vaping realy is. My self, l like a occasional real cigarette, self rolled. I smoke litle but what l smoke is of good quality, at least as good as it gets by todays standards… Moderation is key, but how to keep it up is a nother question…

3 Likes

Cody and Kristijan,

From what I understand nicotine is so addictive that few are successful at reducing the intake. Personally, I think that is playing with the devil who will always win. Best to aim on quitting completely, I think. Thankfully I have made it to 67 as a non-smoker, but I have a few friends who died with breathing issues, likely due to smoking. It is so sad.

Cody, you are young enough that quitting now should make a difference in the effects of smoking. May the Lord bless your efforts and give you the strength to overcome. There is still victory in Jesus.

9 Likes