A simple Swedish hello

My point was not to make a WK, but to follow a proven design. For my truck, the best choice is the WK, but for a car, obviously not so unless you want to duplicate Herb’s wood powered caddy.

4 Likes

Haha, waking up Sunday morning and over a dussin posts on Johan’s thread puts a smile on my face :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, to be honest I didnt think paint came with windows anymore. But thats probably only because I havent looked for it :flushed:
Then paint is also an option, I think I remember how it orked

3 Likes

Yes, the plan is to get it inspected but if thats not possible I’ll probably use it for driving to work anyway. For now I’d be happy to get it running on woodgas at all :smiley:

3 Likes

I have read Joni’s threads but it was earlier on and I have seen that I need to re-read threads as I understand more so I will re-read Joni’s too.
As for fuel it shouldnt be a problem, lots of small growth in our woodplots and if I wanted to I could chunk what comes off from our home sawmill, not sure what those sides are called in english. Anyhow.
I’ll probably start by building a rebak, scored some material for the knives already and letting gasifier grow in my head as I continue to read

And by the way, if you hadn’t told us about subtitles/cc on youtube I would never have known. Many thanks

4 Likes

Herbs wood powered caddy, I havent read that thread. I’ll put it in my queue

4 Likes

Puts a smile on my face too :smiley:

I just noticed, I need to use quote more when I answer, it gets hard to see how and what when I answer with the time difference.

3 Likes

Haha! Of course I would, Bob! But I’m not sure I would recommend it :smile: Every design has its flaws and the way most of us build, the outcome is more up to the obtainium at hand.
Also, Johan’s Volvo 850 is a completly different breed. I suspect especially the trunk layout will be a challange. I have no doubt he will manage though.

4 Likes

We call those first cuts on a log slabs here.

3 Likes

Hello! My dad and his mom moved to Sweden in 1944 and then came to Canada in 1949. He told me stories about wood gas powered cars and trucks. He said that almost every car was powered by wood and it was after the war had ended before things returned to normal and gasoline became available again. Listening to his stories got me interested in gasification.

8 Likes

Hello. I think that when the war was over most people were happy that gasoline was avaliable again and never looked back on woodgas again.
Do you know about where they lived?

3 Likes

Of course, now that you say it it does ring a bell

3 Likes

It is regional here USof A and western Canada.
Called “edgings” here by some.
More call these cuts “stickers”. For cross spacers placed (stuck) between boards for air drying.
S.U.

4 Likes

Thats true, edgings i’ve heard also but not stickers, do they use the full width on these stickers to be used as spacers? Those must surely be cut to the same thickness though
Here they are usually 3/8” by 3/8” now, 30 years ago they were more like 1” by 1”

4 Likes

Around here its slabs or slab wood. “Bundles” slab bundles

7 Likes

I know that he worked as a stump blaster in forestry and later in a textile factory. Not sure of the exact area. He did say that gasifiers on cars disappeared almost overnight when gasoline was available again. They were a bit of work to start up and also could be dangerous since some people died from carbon monoxide poisoning while starting them in garages.

5 Likes

Yeah, I guess its not good to force people to have wood gasifiers if they want to drive, they might not have a second thought about how they actually work and the consequenses from not doing it safely.
But stump blaster also sounds a bit dangerous though :smiley:

2 Likes

Sweden had some very tough forestry laws at that time and it was required for areas that were logged to be totally cleaned up so that they could be reforested.
They didn’t have much of a choice. Sweden stayed neutral during the war and they were cut off from supplies of gasoline. I had an older father so I heard much from him about what it was like during the war. There are many lessons to be learned from that era. In these unstable times, gasification should not be forgotten. Sadly, there are not many people alive now who remember this technology.

10 Likes

There is so many things that get lost with older generations these days, its sad. Knowing what I know now I would have loved talking to my grandparents about many things of old

9 Likes

But here on DOW site it has been added to the library for learning.
Bob

5 Likes