Hello from Sweden

Wow Goran!! I have always thought that there must still be some WWII gasifiers laying around somewhere in Europe. Now I see YOU have them all. You could start a museum. 20 years ago when I first got into gasifying, I would have given anything to have someone like you open up some old gasifiers and take pictures so that we could see what actually was used. Over here, at the time, we had almost no information on what the old gasifiers looked like. At the time, there were 2 articles that came up when you Googled “woodgas” or “gasifiers”. Now of course there are thousands. Yours look to be in decent shape for their age. Thanks for posting. TomC

13 Likes

Thanks Tom, yes i remember that time too,
internet really has helped spread and share information, remember when I found gengas.nu a new site then.
That time it was easier to meet oldtimers that remember using woodgas during the war, learned a lot that way, many of them found it fun to learn a youngster about gasifiers, (i was only 18 when i built my first woodgas-car)
As for the old gasifiers they are still to be found at the countryside, probably it was a big investment at the time, nothing you just scrapped cause it was not needed anymore.

8 Likes

I forgot to post these pic’s i took when I checked out my old gasifiers, thought they could be of interest too.

My rebak, bought the mechanism from Poland, started to build it myself, but it was to cheap to withstand.

Bad pic, but it’s my 1944 chunker, use it for bigger wood, takes up to around 10"

A peak under the hood of my woodchevy.
Just say if im boring you with my old stuff, just feel it’s fun to share some, not many interested in gasification where i live, :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Oh wow you have one of those chunkers! It cuts discs with the buzzsaw then a piston shoves the disc into a grate of blades right?

4 Likes

I think I can speak for most of us - far from boring. You certainly have a lot of interesting equipment. It feels like I will have to pay you a visit some day, if you don’t mind. It would give me a reason to burn some chunks.

13 Likes

Exactly, maybe i try to make a video of it, when weather gets better?

:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

If you are down here around you are very welcome JO, I even could give you some chunks.
:grinning:

9 Likes

Goran; I agree with the others about enjoying you posts. You have all the good stuff. I don’t think any of us knew about the rebak until maybe 3 years ago. I only know of one in our entire DOW— and that would be JO—also from Sweden.
That chunker is quite the machine. Never saw a flat belt turned to a 90 degree. That must be a powerful motor — it drives the buzz saw blade, the ram for the chunker, and the conveyor. Is that a double chain drive or two “V” belts? Do you know who built that??
Your Chev is a V8-- is that a full size Chev like we might be familiar with on this side of the pond.? TomC

5 Likes

Thank you TomC,
yes that chunker is a fun machine, I bought it from the son of the manufacturer, he had some good stories to tell, they built and sold around 4000 of these chunkers from 1941 to 45.
The motor is 400v 3phase 5,5kw it’s double v-belts, original was a flat belt pulley but I modified it, it actually dont needs that much power due to the heavy flywheel, original it was rated to need 3-5 hp.
As for the chevy i dont really really understand your question about fullsize? I think it’s the same as you are used to, maybe we call them different?
Anyways this was a 6,2 diesel v8 from the beginning, the gasoline ones wasnt that popular in Sweden due to fuel cost, this one i put a 400cui in (disguised as a smogged 305 due to inspection rules) :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

göran, nice treasures you have- the old gasifiers- but should be protected from rain…
what is eaten from rust is away forever!
but always the same problem: we small budget people have no place and possibility for our stuff under roof…
ciao giorgio

9 Likes

Thanks Giorgio, yes it’s like you said, no place for all the stuff, but i saved them from the scrapyard anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

TomC, time does fly. I looked back on old posts and found out I built my rebak 7 years ago. I agree it feels like maybe 3.

9 Likes

JO I guess that makes you 4 years older than I thought you were :hourglass:. Tom C

7 Likes

Yeah, won’t be long until we’re the same age :smile:

8 Likes

Hi Cody, when i saw your post i remembered having som plans, found them today if it’s of interest,
This is a trailer gasifier that Volvo and head of economical defense and SMP developed 1974.
As i understand the pivoting wheel often was aircraft surplus, atleast during the war.
All measures are mm.

From above.

8 Likes

Is this a Imbert Gasifier or other, maybe some other Gasifier design of 1974 by Volvo ?
Bob

3 Likes

Hi Bob, this is somewhat improved design, imbert type, Smp, cylindrical hearth, odd thing is this is designed to use wood chips, just above the nozzles there are a “distribution cylinder” like a bucket standing upside down, with holes in the sides, to keep the chips from “compacting” to much in the firetube, after what i heard it worked great at bumpy dirt roads, but a lot of bridging on paved roads.
I got some very blurry drawings of it, see if i can copy or draw off them.

8 Likes

Göran, I think this is the one, right?

nedladdning (1)

6 Likes

Sounds like a standard Gasifier with cylinder firetube and no upside-down bucket with holes for small wood chips. Of course no turn down ratio design built into the firetube like a WK Gasifier. Yes if you could put up firetube design that would be great. I always like to look at designs I have never seen before.
Bob.

3 Likes

Yes it is :slightly_smiling_face:
I looked after that pic but didnt find it.
Volvo built, after what I heard 40 of this cars, around 100 of these gasifiers totally, most got scrapped. :frowning_face:
Only thing i’ve found is a original instruction manual.

4 Likes